Phone line requirement for dtv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ctcatsfan

Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
This is probably been asked before but:

I am considering getting Directv, but I am concerned about the phone line requirement. I have VoIP through the local cable company, plus the modem for that is on the other side of the house from where the tvs are. How necessary is it to connect to a phone line (I'm not really interested in PPV)? And do all the boxes need to connect to a phone line?

Thanks!

The official word is if you have multiple receivers or subscribe to a sports subscription it's supposed to be connected to a phone line, but I don't recall anyone saying they've been called on it. If it's just because of VoIP when I had Vonage I had my D* boxes connected and it worked. And just so you know, D*'s just now starting to test their Video On Demand service with some of their customers and you need a broadband internet connection to the HR20 DVR is you want to make use of that feature.

But doens't the D15 and the new HD DVR use the satellite to communicate PPV info. I just had the HD DVR(not sure of the model) installed last week and there was no mention of needing a phone line nor did the installer hook up the phone line which was right there.

But doens't the D15 and the new HD DVR use the satellite to communicate PPV info. I just had the HD DVR(not sure of the model) installed last week and there was no mention of needing a phone line nor did the installer hook up the phone line which was right there.

All D* STB's use the phone line to communicate any PPV purchases done via the remote back to D*, all communications from the satellite is one way, from the satellite to you, never from you to the satellite, the phone line is used for the return path. The box will let you order PPV's via the remote without the phone line being connected but once it hits a certain threshold of PPV's orderd or days without being able to connect back to D* that function is disabled.

All D* STB's use the phone line to communicate any PPV purchases done via the remote back to D*, all communications from the satellite is one way, from the satellite to you, never from you to the satellite, the phone line is used for the return path. The box will let you order PPV's via the remote without the phone line being connected but once it hits a certain threshold of PPV's orderd or days without being able to connect back to D* that function is disabled.

I understand what you are saying but the installer never setup the receiver to make calls and I dont see anything in the setup menu for such. I did order a PPV movie via remote but no charge yet. I use VOIP also but there are no phone calls being made by the reciever by looking in my outgoing call logs. Are these calls daily, weekly etc?

I understand what you are saying but the installer never setup the receiver to make calls and I dont see anything in the setup menu for such. I did order a PPV movie via remote but no charge yet. I use VOIP also but there are no phone calls being made by the reciever by looking in my outgoing call logs. Are these calls daily, weekly etc?

When I had Vonage and could track all the calls my STB's usually called D* a week or so before the billing date. There is nothing in the setup menu for it, it's something the D* installer is supposed to do and a training video I saw on D* for installers even showed them how to run and connect a phone line if one wasn't located by the set top box.

Before the automated activation came along installers would talk to a live person that would ask if a phone line was connected. If there was not the rep. would disable the impulse pay-per-view option on the stb (ordering ppv with remote). With automated activation the issue isn’t addressed and ippv remains active allowing the stb to get “loaded” with remote ordered ppv. If no phone connection best way to order is on-line. If there was an active phone jack that could be reached with the provided phone line and it was not hooked that’s sad.

Shmeff
Are you saying ? That if you have a phone line connected during activation, and then remove it. and subsequently order a PPV as long as you never connect a phone line again you will not be billed.

But, if after a year or so someone does connect the phone line then you will be billed for all previously ordered PPV's. makes sense.,

But I also read somewhere that there was a programmed limit of PPV's ordered without a phone line or ethernet connection to the receiver, in this case a VIP622.

The concern is that some visitor could stay up late one night and I get billed for mucho dollars. guess thats why the locks exist.

That is my understanding for d* equipment. Don’t know about e*. I think after a certain amount of PPV is ordered or a certain dollar amount is reached the receiver shuts down.

That is my understanding for d* equipment. Don’t know about e*. I think after a certain amount of PPV is ordered or a certain dollar amount is reached the receiver shuts down.

That is correct, but I don't remember the dollar amount. If the installer disabled IPPV when he activated your system, then this doesn't apply since you won't be able to order PPV with your remote.

Considering most the family has at least few cell phone accounts, why still need the land line, for instant, we four in the house and four difference account on our cell phone, who need land line. If Dish charge extra for no phone line, there should be a case in the court for subscribers for money back.

The remote PPV or event ordering stops, because the access card becomes "full"; the receiver itself does not stop operating; so if you NEVER order PPV or events at all, or not via remote by only using the online ordering, you will not have any issues, nor will the card become "full" all while never having a land line connected..

The remote PPV or event ordering stops, because the access card becomes "full"; the receiver itself does not stop operating; so if you NEVER order PPV or events at all, or not via remote by only using the online ordering, you will not have any issues, nor will the card become "full" all while never having a land line connected..

Question, what stops people from unplugging the phone line and loading up the card? Or does this fall under discussion of illegal activate?

And,
Installation companies use the phone issue to back charge installers. Because it is part of the basic installation to connect the 25ft cord they use this as a pretext to take money back for not completing every aspect of the installation.......even if no land line exists ad the account was activated with the customer's cell phone.

Joe

I am E* subscriber considering switching to D* and am only a cell phone user. Am I correct in assuming I would still be able to subscribe to the Center Ice Package without an active phone line attached to the receiver, if I order the package online or by phone with D*?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts