Phone Line

wkilpatrick

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
We recently decided to get rid of our land line because 95% of the time all we get are telemarketers. Today when I turned on the Dish, a message came up about getting a charge for not having a phone line connected. Does anyone know how much this charge will be?

As I understand it, at least 2 receivers (single or dual) in the house need to be connected to a phone line or there will be a charge. I don't know what the policy is if you only have 1 tuner in the house.

Personally, Dish needs to re-consider these policies since many people don't keep a land line active anymore.

Not sure that is true. My 625 had to be connect but 211 didn't. When I got the 622 I had to connect that. I believe, like GaryS, that its the dual tuner receiver's that need a phone line.

Right, how can you be charged for a second tuner if you only have one. Some dual tuners do not have this fee as well, but I only know of the 921 that does not.

Nope, nor does the 721. I think the 921 and 721 are the only dual tuners that don't have the phone fee. But they are the only 2 that don't have the TV2 option, like the others with the fee, 522, 625, 622 and 942.

I hope soon E* and Directv stop this phone line thing. Over half of the customers I do don't have land based phones.

Thanks for the responses. I will pay the extra $5 instead of the $60/mth that verizon charges me for their phone and 90% of the time the only calls I get are from telemarketers.

If you have more than two or three receivers you will get flagged for an audit if the receivers are not calling home every month.

The 5$ phone line access fee is ONLY for dual tuner receivers. IE 322, 522, 622, 625. There is no phone line access fee even if you have 5 311's. However, they may do an audit, if they are not connected, they may call and audit you. As long as you "pass" the audit your fine. But I agree with allowing ethernet access as compared to phone. I have no phone line, I just have vonage and cable internet. It would be nice to get rid of that fee though! I don't see the point other than to encourage compliance with the RSA.

Thanks for the responses. I will pay the extra $5 instead of the $60/mth that verizon charges me for their phone and 90% of the time the only calls I get are from telemarketers.

have u considered Vonage or VoiceWing (Verizon's version of VOIP)? I pay $22 including taxes and fees for my phone service. 500 minutes/month but I don't even use 100. It works fine with E* receivers too.

seriously... i mean, we have a damn ethernet port for crying out loud...let's use it!

I agree, I'm single right now, no family, no reason for a phone to be sitting at the house, as everyone said, all I get it people who want to sell me something,

Why should I pay $30/ month for a phone that I don't use, when I pay $120 for a cell phone that I do. I do have a cable modem witch I get screwed already cause I don't have cable TV, and dish wants to charge $5 more.

but then for $10 worth of wire, my neighbors let me hook into there line, cause there nice.

Ethernet people, Cable/DSL is the new world order!

but then for $10 worth of wire, my neighbors let me hook into there line, cause there nice.

Ethernet people, Cable/DSL is the new world order!

DO NOT have your receivers call home from your neighbors phone! If you do you will be getting a call from the audit team, if they have your cell #, if the don't your receivers will be shut down untill you call into them & go through an audit.

I just called account services today about some promo that was messed up and while she was talking to me she said she saw I had the programing fee (was credited for 10 months at 5.00 as a dish gold credit because the installer told me there was no fee 9 months ago) She told me to hold and came back and said she got it waved for being a good customer and not having a phone. So maybe Dishneworks is staring to come around.

But I'll believe it when I see it.

have u considered Vonage or VoiceWing (Verizon's version of VOIP)? I pay $22 including taxes and fees for my phone service. 500 minutes/month but I don't even use 100. It works fine with E* receivers too.

I only wish they had an even cheaper package for voicewing, i tend to only use the phone to dial out the E* receivers and then whoever calls me (incoming is free), i use cellphones other than that.

I don't have a land line in my home and I don't get charged a monthly fee. I have one Vip622 installed in my home.

There are free VoIP providers out there.... FreeWorldDialup, SIPPhone, Voicestick, Stanaphone, etc. Some even let you have a free incoming phone number.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)