phoning in

shelly

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
My stb is connected to a phone line.

I tried to call in from the system menu and failed.

Is this feature not working? Or could it be on my end?

Shelly

I've tried that too. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. The last time I tried it, the first call failed and it then attempts a retry. On the retry, I got a response back that said 'no answer'. So I don't think the problem is on your end Shelly. Apparently, the feature is not always 'on' in VoomLand.

Just tried again. First attempt failed but the retry worked.

I called the 800 number on my phone right after a failure and it took over 15 rings to answer. I think the Moto quits trying after 10 rings or so.

Please don't jump on me for asking this, but why do you even want to do this? Other than for curiousity, I'm confused at what is the benefit or need of calling in from the STB.

Just wonderin'.

I guess, they just want to make sure it works in case VOOM will start enforcing the phone line requirement specified in the Customer Agreement.

And let's not forget the attitude of "what can I do to help out a fellow voomer" that most posters have.

And, the callback is a function within the STB, and it's nice to know IF it works and HOW it works. And if we report back to the forum, then a lot more people will know.

phone line not needed

the only reason voom requires a phone line is to keep track of the recievers, there are plans in the future to send out a scrabling program via the satellite, and send a descrambling program via the telephone, in order to stop the people from using IRD's that are not connected. To what i've been told, there is no other reasons for it at this time. they don't even tell us about the stb function.

Yes, but it sure would be reassuring to know that it is working, which it is not in my case eventhough I am hooked up to a phone line. And when I manually dial the number. I just get what sounds like fax tones. It never just rings like a normal phone, other than once or twice before it is aqnswered with the tones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)