pick one bird

Status
Please reply by conversation.

theslag

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
FTA looks interesting, but if you were to pick on bird up there to watch, what is the best one? Reason why, I would like to mount a dish on my deck, I have a direct tv dish there, but want to try FTA, but i dont want the 6 foot dish, i think you can get some programing with a dish a little bit bigger than my DSS dish, is this true and if so, what is the best bird up there to watch?

possible newbie that needs info and help...

Thanks guys!!!

I second G10...lots of good stuff

If you are into ethnic channels, IA5 (97W) has a lot of those (arabic, chinese, etc)

I have a motorized dish and a fixed one at G10

ok...now...what is the cheep system for a hobbiest to get?? I have my direct system, this is something just to play around with...

Yup, it's a no-brainer for me. I have one dish dedicated to G 10R. ImaginAsian is another interesting channel -- Asian content dubbed or subtitled in English.

Now if you'd prefer to see a whole bunch of international channels, particularly Arabic & Farsi language, then Intelsat Americas 5 (formerly Telstar 5) is the way to go.

A tougher question would be what's the next-best satellite to choose. You could choose AMC 4 (New Abilities, Telemundo, another Fox) or AMC 3 (PBS national feeds in AC3 audio, plus Montana PBS), or something with a lot of sports feeds.

Try the Advanced Selection link in the SatGuys-hosted www.ftalist.com. That'll let you see choose each satellite and see just what's available. Have fun! :)

I have my dish pointed only at IA5. I pick up a dozen good Arabic channels. Great material to practice the language.

Status
Please reply by conversation.