Pick up Detroit local spot beam from out of range

Status
Please reply by conversation.

detroitfan1981

Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Rockford, IL
I live in zip code 61080 (IL), but I would like to receive the local channels from the Detroit area. I got DIRECTV to change my service address to my parents', which is in Detroit (zip 48076). So, now the local channels (ABC, NBC, etc) from Detroit appear in my channel guide, but I only get "searching for signal" message when those channels are selected. The national signals, like Fox Sports Detroit, are working.

Is there a way for me to pick up the Detroit local channel signal from my current location? Possibly a second dish aimed correctly?

Any help would be appreciated!

:welcome to Satelliteguys detroitfan1981!

First off, what you are trying to do is against the terms of service in the contract with Directv. It's known as "moving", without actually moving. Many people do it without any issue. That aside, you are outside of the spotbeam for Detroit hd channels. You MAY be able to get the sd ones since the spotbeam for them is larger than the hd ones.

I understand that my current dish, as it sits, will not pick up the signal. I guess I just want to confirm that it is, in fact, impossible for me to pick up that signal; that there are no other options.

Not with Directv. Did you check the sd channels?

Wont work. I got an office in Chicago and we tried that with a box from my Detroit office. Had to setup a whole new showroom account in Chicago to get the locals to work.

Also the Chicago locals will not work in Detroit, the furthest away they seem to work is in Jackson Mi

Status
Please reply by conversation.