Picked up the new 80GB PS3

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
Happen to be at Best Buy this morning and they had the new $399 80GB version on the shelf. Word is Sony gave retailers the okay to sell as soon as they get them in. The one I went to had ~30 available.

Happen to be at Best Buy this morning and they had the new $399 80GB version on the shelf. Word is Sony gave retailers the okay to sell as soon as they get them in. The one I went to had ~30 available.
That's what Sony said:

New 80GB Core Packs can be sold as soon as stores get them [Update] - PS3 Fanboy
I do strongly suggest you pick up a copy of Metal Gear Solid 4. I'm in the middle of it now, and so far it has lived up to the hype and been worth the wait.

Hope you have an extra HDMI cable available. They only come with composite cables (at least mine did, but I had an extra HDMI cord in advance so I was good.)

That's what Sony said:

New 80GB Core Packs can be sold as soon as stores get them [Update] - PS3 Fanboy
I do strongly suggest you pick up a copy of Metal Gear Solid 4. I'm in the middle of it now, and so far it has lived up to the hype and been worth the wait.

I plan on picking up the PS3 exclusives only. All others will be 360 version. I'll assume the PS3 is more reliable than the 360? I didn't get the $60 BB warranty. I do have 30 days to decide. Does Sony have their own extended warranty, like M$ ?

I plan on picking up the PS3 exclusives only. All others will be 360 version. I'll assume the PS3 is more reliable than the 360? I didn't get the $60 BB warranty. I do have 30 days to decide. Does Sony have their own extended warranty, like M$ ?
No M$ had to do that out of pressure, and if you read the fine print, the 3 year warranty only applies to RRoD errors. For example, if you've had a 360 for 15 months and the thing boots up fine but the disc tray won't open up, you're not covered anymore. On the phone when I had my RRoD the Indian CSR told me that the warranty was only covering RRoD errors.

No M$ had to do that out of pressure, and if you read the fine print, the 3 year warranty only applies to RRoD errors. For example, if you've had a 360 for 15 months and the thing boots up fine but the disc tray won't open up, you're not covered anymore. On the phone when I had my RRoD the Indian CSR told me that the warranty was only covering RRoD errors.

What I meant was buying an extended warranty from Sony. I did it with my 360, but this was before M$ extended the warranty to 3 years for RRoD.

What I meant was buying an extended warranty from Sony. I did it with my 360, but this was before M$ extended the warranty to 3 years for RRoD.
No it appears not. I'm not sure the extended warranty is really worth it. The PS3 is expensive enough, and Sony has made pretty decent products over the years (minus the PSX overheating issues.) I have what I believe to be a first-launch PS2, and it is almost 8 years old and still works fine without any issues along the way.

I hear ya. I'm sure the PS3 is much more reliable than the 360. I've never bought extended warranties for gaming systems, until the RRoD issues with M$. Now I need to decide. Rent a BR movie or MSG4 first. I have the Blockbuster combo pass this month, while the kids are on vacation.

I hear ya. I'm sure the PS3 is much more reliable than the 360. I've never bought extended warranties for gaming systems, until the RRoD issues with M$. Now I need to decide. Rent a BR movie or MSG4 first. I have the Blockbuster combo pass this month, while the kids are on vacation.
I'd vote for MGS4, although I'd recommend just buying it. If you're looking for some good BRs to test your new system with, I'd say look here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/blu-ray-forum/145332-what-best-bd-hddvd-you-have-seen-pq.html

http://www.satelliteguys.us/blu-ray-forum/144349-favorite-show-off-blu-ray-movie.html

Wow! Didn't realize the PS3 has so many settings to adjust. I looked over at avsforum and found a good PS3 settings thread. Only one I'm not sure about is BD 1080p 24Hz Output. From what I've read I should turn it "on", since my TV supports it?

Wow! Didn't realize the PS3 has so many settings to adjust. I looked over at avsforum and found a good PS3 settings thread. Only one I'm not sure about is BD 1080p 24Hz Output. From what I've read I should turn it "on", since my TV supports it?
Well if you got it, flaunt it. ;p

I'll have to rent a good movie and swap between 1080p24 and 1080p60, to even see if I can tell the difference.

How is that done? My PS3 only has a setting to for 1080P24 HDMI and it allows me to set to automatic, on, or off. Is this what you mean, seeting display to 1080p in display settings, and then turning the 1080p24 setting on and off?

How is that done? My PS3 only has a setting to for 1080P24 HDMI and it allows me to set to automatic, on, or off. Is this what you mean, seeting display to 1080p in display settings, and then turning the 1080p24 setting on and off?
Yes. I have my output set to 1080p. I set mine to 1080p24 and the TV info button shows 24Hz. I'll assume if you turn it off, movies will default to 60Hz. Haven't tried auto yet. Waiting for more BR movies from Netflix. My guess is it'll switch to 24Hz if the movie supports it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)