Pics of the system after adding the Sub-12 and Denon AVR-1909

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Ok, here are the db results, taken with the analog meter at my listening position (10ft from sub), all readings at sub were 6-10db's higher). Ill use these numbers to test after the mod BEFORE running audyssey, just to see if listening point db's are effected.

Rcvr Vol - Song - Result

-19.0db - Bassgasm - 102db

-17.0db - Hyperbass - 99db

-17.0db - Youngbloodz(damn) - 103db

-17.0db - Basstest - 108db

The 108db song was pretty cool.

I missed pauls post earlier, what is MDB?

I missed pauls post earlier, what is MDB?

I think Paul meant MDF, which is medium density fiberboard. That's the stuff they make cheap shelving and furniture out of. Could be a pretty good choice as well.

This is from the home depot site:

Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF)
MDF is made by breaking softwoods down into individual fibers, which are then glued and pressed together. MDF is denser than particle board and has a smooth finish that takes paint very well, making it a great choice for interior projects. MDF can also be used for built-ins, cabinets, raised panels, or simple furniture.

Ah, OK. Yeah, MDF is going to be my choice if I cant find a stone solution. Im a little hesitant to have to pc something together(like a few pavers), when I could get some thick MDF and have it cut to size. Then paint it flat black. I may even have 2 pcs cut right, then attach them with adhesive for something even thicker.

Sizing is akward because the sub is 18"W x 22"L

It would be pretty easy to cut MDF to size, grab some cheap car audio speaker box carpet and spray adhesive, and throw some foam "stands" on the bottom like that Auralex stuff.

Yeah, thats what Teachsac said. The Auralex is nice, but way overpriced, but so are prebuilt car audio boxes that Crutchfield sells.

Ive pretty much decided to go for some 1" MDF or layered Birch (another good box material but more pricey), will bring it home and primer it, then hit it with flat black. Kinda anxious to see if I see any db changes.

MDF is an excellent choice here. you can seal it together with liquid nail. super strong adhesive. I built 2 floor standing speakers with 2 15 inch woofers,2 10 inch woofers,2 midrange speakers and two silk dome tweeters. Built them a few years ago and have had no problems at all.

I think Paul meant MDF, which is medium density fiberboard. That's the stuff they make cheap shelving and furniture out of. Could be a pretty good choice as well.

This is from the home depot site:

OOPS! Kind of combined MDF with OSB. MDF would be correct sir. Given the size you need for the bases, MDF might be your best bet, since you can cut to size.

Ok, below are some pics, before and after db measurements were identical. I do feel the speakers have more punch and are less muddy/boomy, meaning I feel it more as opposed to just hearing it.

Turned out pretty good, excuse the towel as Im using it to protect the carpet for 24 hours :) . Not bad for $13

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

Thanks, just finished Audyssey. I def think it did add punch. Watching football on CBS now and when they do their graphics that have bass, it seems tighter. Guess its time to break open that Dark Knight case and watch it tonight :)

Well, def more punchy and thats a good thing. The boom does not drown down the highs now, it just thumps and stops.

I cant find anything to set the sub level. The Denon test level and the Avia test tone bounce all over. The fronts and center however, are spot on using both test methods.

I read all 3 speakers the same, but the sub was about 2db's high with the denon test tone, so I dropped it from the Audyssey -2.0 to -3.0.

Just realized something, with the board added, its the only time Audyssey has measured the sub distance damn close. Usually its waaaaaaaaaaay off, so maybe the board addition allowed for an accurate measurement (changed by 14" from the previous measurements).

Being I just noticed this, i restored the sub to the Audyssey setting of -2.0db's, will see how it sounds during Dark knight tonight.

DAMN, I thought getting tv's setup right was a PITA.

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

elway
my home made front speakers. the center speaker was purchased built and i have ceiling speakers for the surround.

Sweet! I see that shiny new Pioneer 1018 sitting there ;)

Well, Dark Knight was great and the bass was tighter than Ive seen so far. The sub was also not too loud at -2.0db's, so Im guessing the booming effect was giving me the impression it was overly loud before, and I was adjusting it down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)