Picture Quality AWESOME ON NEW VOOM TIER !

mdonnelly said:
So if there's a general agreement that the Dish PQ is better than it was on VOOM, what has changed to make it that way?

Rainbow DBS still controls the content and uplink facility.
Rainbow-1 satellite transponders still supply the signal.
Many VOOM satellite dishes are still in place receiving the signal.
Dish hasn't added anything to this scenario except the HD receivers and the LNB.

It it that the Dish receivers are better than the VOOM receiver?

PQ for me has declined significantly (and unevenly) in the move to Dish. Ultra HD still looks about the same, but Equator is degraded: resolution is reduced, edges of images are less crisp, and color is washed out. I judge the loss to be about 10%--it's like a veil has been pulled over the images.

Am I the only one to notice anything like this?

nystrand said:
PQ for me has declined significantly (and unevenly) in the move to Dish. Ultra HD still looks about the same, but Equator is degraded: resolution is reduced, edges of images are less crisp, and color is washed out. I judge the loss to be about 10%--it's like a veil has been pulled over the images.

Did you re-calibrate you HD TV/projector after switching to Dish? Might just be your 811/6000/942 or what ever is just darker/lighter then your old voom box.

nystrand said:

I share your experience but attribute this to my 6000 receiver. It has always been "washed out" compared to my Directv, Voom and Comcast receivers. But resolution also seems to be reduced. Are you using the 6000?

Shelly

shelly said:
I share your experience but attribute this to my 6000 receiver. It has always been "washed out" compared to my Directv, Voom and Comcast receivers. But resolution also seems to be reduced. Are you using the 6000?

Shelly

I was subbed to dish and VOOM simultaneously. I have a dishnet 6000 receiver and let me tell you, the pq is MUSCH MUCH better with dish than it was with VOOM. I am shocked to see that even my STD channels looks soooooo much better. Now I can watch TV that isn't in HIGH DEF all thanks to the PQ dishnet is streaming. And I'm still using my Mitsubishi XD480U projector on a high gain 120" screen. Right now, I'm in heaven.......... :)

sbturner said:
Info from you Voomers, how does the older movies that were not originally shot in HD look and how can they put it in HD? How does it compare to shows that were shot in HD? I'm glad the PQ is great it just seem strange that Voomers has to tell us Dishers what Dish is really capable of. Being an existing customer of course I can't afford a 942 with no lease option. I see some people that can get it won't and complain about it. At least you have a choice.

As long as the movie master is film (which has higher resolution than 1920x1080i), any movie can be transfer to HD. Most movies today are still shot in film and not HD cameras. HD cameras are usually left for sports & entertainment & news events. Hope that helps.

nystrand said:

TO: nystrand

Give us some more details please, so someone can try to help you out.

(1) What Dish receiver ?
(2) Is your receiver set at 1080i or 720p ?
(3) What signal strength ?
(4) What TV type - LCD or DLP or plasma ?

I only have the 6000u and I am having problems with some wavy lines on it that come and go. It looks like my 6000u is the one having problems but from I have been able to watch so far. The Picture Quality is as good as it was on Voom or better. I have not seen any degradation in PQ on the VOOM original channels. I am getting a 942 today so I am going to be able to watch more.

JH1949 said:

Give us some more details please, so someone can try to help you out.

(1) What Dish receiver ?
(2) Is your receiver set at 1080i or 720p ?
(3) What signal strength ?
(4) What TV type - LCD or DLP or plasma ?

(1) I'm using the 811.
(2) 1080i (definitely better than either 480p or 720p
(3) Signal strength is not displayed for Voom channel screens on my setup (it's in the upper right corner for OTA locals.
(4) My TV is a Samsung 43" DLP

Thanks

JH1949 said:
I am a former Voom subscriber. For the last 2 months, I have been reading posts here about SD PQ not being too good. I switched to Dish on May 1 with an 811 set on 1080i component video connected to my 30 inch Gateway LCD HDTV.

For me, the PQ is sharper on both the Voom HD channels and on some of the SD channels like CNN and History Channel now that I am on Dish 811 compared to how they looked on the Voom receiver.

Sorry, no idea why your PQ is different than mine. Looks like we have similar setup except for our TV's.

Sean Mota said:
I am getting a 942 today so I am going to be able to watch more.

Whaaa?!?!?!

Did you decide to play risky business and flop the money for one?

I am running a 811 and just got Voom channels set up a couple of days ago.

I never saw Voom channels before so I cannot compare them to what is on E* now.

I do feel that the picture quality does very from Voom channel to Voom channel. I do not see that the picture quality is any better than the current HD package currently on E*.

I still feel HDNET is the best picture you can get.

Just me 2 cents.

Dump 6000 or wait?

Just got the Voom package added and I love it. I have a 6000. Should I wait
for the mpeg change or get an 811 now? Need some input!

My Voom HD channels look equally as great with Dish and 811 received as they did with Voom equipment. Can't comment on standard def because I haven't watched any standard programming yet

I'm an ex-Voomie and I was "dark" for 4 days. Had my Dish install yesterday and have 2 - 811 boxes. The two things I have noticed so far:

1) Volume seems to be lower
2) Picture is excellent but not quite as crisp as with the VOOM equipment

shelly said:

Shelly

I agree with you Voom channels on 811 look much worse than on Voom. Both resolution and color saturation are much worse. I have Sony XBR960 34 inch 1080i tube and I am using DVI inputs. I used the same factory default settings on TV inputs for both Voom and 811 boxes. For my taste last night Smart Travels looked washed out and almost unwatchable. I have tried tuning picture, color and other settings but it didn't make any difference.

Does any one have the same TV set. What is your experience or solutions.

Thanks

dishguy said:
I agree with you Voom channels on 811 look much worse than on Voom. Both resolution and color saturation are much worse.... For my taste last night Smart Travels looked washed out and almost unwatchable. I have tried tuning picture, color and other settings but it didn't make any difference.

Does any one have the same TV set. What is your experience or solutions.

Thanks

You describe my problems exactly.

You guys that are having PQ issues coming from Voom to Dish need to calibrate your TV inputs for the Dish receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts