Picture Quality AWESOME ON NEW VOOM TIER !

DarrellP said:
I just installed an 811 last night and I don't think the picture is as good as it was on my 6000. The color seems a bit more vibrant but the overall picture seems a bit softer, even on OTA. Bummer! I am viewing via component, is the DVI any better? I don't really want to use it on the 811 since I have my upconverting player using my pj's DVI input.

On my Samsung DLP, DVI provides a much better picture than component with the 811.

NightRyder

Jim, this is on my front pj and no, I am not getting a 942, I am waiting for MPEG-4 to go HDDVR with Dish, I don't trust them on giving me a good deal to swap it out.

mdonnelly, I think I'll try the DVI and see if there's any improvement, thanks guys.

DarrellP said:
I just installed an 811 last night and I don't think the picture is as good as it was on my 6000. The color seems a bit more vibrant but the overall picture seems a bit softer, even on OTA. Bummer! I am viewing via component, is the DVI any better? I don't really want to use it on the 811 since I have my upconverting player using my pj's DVI input.
It's my opinion that the 942 provides a better HD picture than the 811...however they are on different sets and I haven't done a direct comparison of both receivers. I still have unused coax run to my Sony GWIV, which was supposed to have been be used with VOOMs networked DVR, I'll setup both boxes and do a side-by-side comparison (component and HDMI/DVI) hopefully this evening.

Boy, do I feel dumb! Apparently when I installed my 811, I bumped the pj and didn't realize it. I have been watching it slightly out of focus. I refocused tonight and the PQ is stellar. DOH!!! I shoulda knowed bettah! I did try DVI, but on my pj, I prefer component.

DarrellP said:
Boy, do I feel dumb! Apparently when I installed my 811, I bumped the pj and didn't realize it. I have been watching it slightly out of focus. I refocused tonight and the PQ is stellar. DOH!!! I shoulda knowed bettah! I did try DVI, but on my pj, I prefer component.
Cool. But they still say the 942 is even better. :)

DarrellP said:
If you bump the projector in the opposite direction...you get skeeters :D.

My DISH and 942 are now up and man the PQ "ROCKS" on both SD and HD. The SD looks even better with DISH than the SD does OTA. I am very surprised. I guess what they say about the new video drivers in the942 must be true. The HD is noticeable better than VOOM. (Although I was never a fan of Motorola boxes and quality) I had 3 VOOM Box replacements in less than a year.

The HD is noticibly sharper on DISH with 942. More dimensional. oddly the DISH HD channel demo looks softer than the other HD. As a DVR the 942 is amazing in recording HD. Still playing with it but loving every minute of it. Now it is starting to sound kinky. I better stop when I am ahead.

JH1949, nystrand, Shelly, diver90, jsb_bhurg
arty100, dishguy

I am also a former Voom subscriber. I got Dish Network installed on May 1. I was frustrated by the PQ on Dish 811 compared to how they looked on the Voom receiver. I called CSR and the guy told me to check the set up. What I found out is terrible. The installer simply did not set up my HD correctly. So I read the manual and change HD setup to 1080 from 480 (menu 6-1-9) and so the PQ problem solved.

I confirmed what BFG said:

Monsters, Ultra, Animania, and Equator look Better on dish because they are full rez 1920x1080

The other 6 channels look Worse because they are at 1280x1080.

dlaw1552001 said:
...I was frustrated by the PQ on Dish 811 compared to how they looked on the Voom receiver. I called CSR and the guy told me to check the set up. What I found out is terrible. The installer simply did not set up my HD correctly. So I read the manual and change HD setup to 1080 from 480 (menu 6-1-9) and so the PQ problem solved....
My story is worse. I set up an 811 in the bedroom myself (after a year with an 811 in my living room). I didn't realize until a month later that I had been watching the s-video feed, not the HD feed. I guess it's because the glasses come off at bedtime.

I am not going to gush over the Voom picture quality. I've been a Dish HD sub for almost 5 years, and never a Voom, so I can't compare the two providers. I can compare channels. I use a 921 with component outputs to a calibrated RPTV in 1080i.

The Voom channels are a lot nicer than SD content, and I'm very happy to have more HD content so I never have "nothing to watch", but I don't think the picture quality is up to par with HDNet or DiscoveryHD. Whether it is the mpeg encoding, the bandwidth, the resolution, or something else I'm not sure, but they just don't have that edge.

I've noticed a few times on Equator that the encoding just gets confused - there was some program with a large herd of zebras running from right to left. Consider thousands of vertical black and white stripes. The zebras in the foreground had visible stripes, those in the back of the picture had stripes, those in the middle blurred into a grey mass. I saw a similar problem with a flock of birds. Although I havent seen the same program on Discovery, I haven't seen anything similar there.

Another gripe I've got is that some of the programming is zoomed, so heads get cut off etc. I would rather see a 4:3 full image, if that's what the original source was, rather than zoom it and cut it.