Picture Quality on Eastern ARC

Austinm777

Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Howell Michigan
Due to LOS issues with 129, my initial set -up for DISH was 61.5/110/118/119 (Western ARC) with 2 dishes - a Dish 500 and a Dish 1000.2. I am in the Detroit Michigan local market even though I live closer to Lansing MI. Anyway, the picture quality was crystal clear on this set-up and except for an occassional signal loss on 61.5 (due to tall storm clouds to my south) I never had any issues - jsut a nice sharp crystal clear HD picture. I called DISH because of a transponder problem that caused me to lose 119. Since DISH had to come out for a repair, I suggested that the DISH installer bring a DISH 1000.4 and set me up for Eastern ARC (61.5/72.7/77). Dish agreed to this, and now, I have all of the channels I used to receive plus all of the new HD channels. No problems with that (now I only have one dish which is nice). I did get stuck with the $15 charge that has been discussed elsewhere but at least my CSR was great and I did not have to play CSR roulette.

I have noticed that the picture quality for the HD channels with the new Eastren ARC set up is not as clear along with some motion blur as well. HD channels from 61.5 received with the DISH 1000.4 on the Eatern ARC do not seem as clear as 61.5 was with the old DISH pointed towards the Western ARC hybrid set-up. It seems like this an issue with 72.7 and 77 as well. Recordings in my VIP 722 DVR made under the old set-up confirm this to be the case. Is this a problem with the new dish, satellite signals, or maybe a case of the older dish (which was a bit bigger) receiving a better signal. Not sure what to make of the minor loss in picture quality. I belive I read some other posts about the loss of picture quality with Eastern ARC and I am not the only individual that has noticed this issue with Eastern ARC. My installer did tell me that 118/119 satellites were the best of the bunch after doing hundreds of installs and repairs. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:
The new sat at 72.7 is quite powerful and I think has some of the best pq of any of the eastern arc sats. All national hd on eastern arc will move to this sat by years end. I get the strengths between 60 - 70 on all transponders. I don't think most would say they see any difference at all, if they didn't know that there dish was pointed at different satellites than they had before. In other words you know it changed so now you are hypercritical of the new setup, because it is new to you.

I have had both setups 1000.2 & 1000.4. I presently have the eastern arc dish and have had it for while now. I think that Sd channels all look better on eastern arc compared to western arc . I don't really see much difference in hd quality at all.

But I recently added a side sat for just 129 to back up my hd channels , incase of sat drop out on 61.5. The satellite there is not as strong in consistent signal strength on all transponders as the 129 sat is. IF this would make you feel better you could do the same thing.

By the way there will be new satellites going up to 61.5 and 77 sats between now and next year. Then the eastern arc will be all new and powerful just like western arc.

Not setup right

Due to LOS issues with 129, my initial set -up for DISH was 61.5/110/118/119 (Western ARC) with 2 dishes - a Dish 500 and a Dish 1000.2. I am in the Detroit Michigan local market even though I live closer to Lansing MI. Anyway, the picture quality was crystal clear on this set-up and except for an occassional signal loss on 61.5 (due to tall storm clouds to my south) I never had any issues - jsut a nice sharp crystal clear HD picture. I called DISH because of a transponder problem that caused me to lose 119. Since DISH had to come out for a repair, I suggested that the DISH installer bring a DISH 1000.4 and set me up for Eastern ARC (61.5/72.7/77). Dish agreed to this, and now, I have all of the channels I used to receive plus all of the new HD channels. No problems with that (now I only have one dish which is nice). I did get stuck with the $15 charge that has been discussed elsewhere but at least my CSR was great and I did not have to play CSR roulette.

I have noticed that the picture quality for the HD channels with the new Eastren ARC set up is not as clear along with some motion blur as well. HD channels from 61.5 received with the DISH 1000.4 on the Eatern ARC do not seem as clear as 61.5 was with the old DISH pointed towards the Western ARC hybrid set-up. It seems like this an issue with 72.7 and 77 as well. Recordings in my VIP 722 DVR made under the old set-up confirm this to be the case. Is this a problem with the new dish, satellite signals, or maybe a case of the older dish (which was a bit bigger) receiving a better signal. Not sure what to make of the minor loss in picture quality. I belive I read some other posts about the loss of picture quality with Eastern ARC and I am not the only individual that has noticed this issue with Eastern ARC. My installer did tell me that 118/119 satellites were the best of the bunch after doing hundreds of installs and repairs. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Something isn't set up correctly on your set. The EA has better PQ than the WA. It uses the full 1920 X 1080 resolution where as WA is 1440 X 1080. It is also all MPEG 4 and there is no longer any MPEG 2 on it. I'm using a 42" 1080p Panasonic Plasma and it's looking as good as it ever has.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts