PICTURES of my voom install today.

fastfed

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 20, 2004
voom1.jpg

So on the last picture there three lines going to the diplexer (two from satellite and one from OTA antenna), these two lines out are going to your stbs...

The switch should be side ways with drip loops (water is going to run right into the switch), there should be a ground cable to mast/antenna, so it's not to NEC code, there should be a service loop at dish (what happens if you need to change the LNB) this one would fail a QC check. I also don't like the idea of all the extra weight on the dish, it seems unstable. I would call them back and get them to do it to code- tell them its the LAW. It's just not worth the risk- looks like a dry area with a lot of static.

PSB said:
The switch should be side ways with drip loops (water is going to run right into the switch), there should be a ground cable to mast/antenna, so it's not to NEC code, there should be a service loop at dish (what happens if you need to change the LNB) this one would fail a QC check. I also don't like the idea of all the extra weight on the dish, it seems unstable. I would call them back and get them to do it to code- tell them its the LAW. It's just not worth the risk- looks like a dry area with a lot of static.

Really? This guy grabed the ground from the internal power box, which from my understanding is the best...

He installed 182 of these dishes, I would think he would know what to do. But who knows maybe I am wrong...

So far no problems..

1) I wouldn't have anything sitting on top of that voom box.. you will probably overhead it, and whatever is sitting on top of it.

2) Fire the painter

snathanb said:
1) I wouldn't have anything sitting on top of that voom box.. you will probably overhead it, and whatever is sitting on top of it.

2) Fire the painter
I wouldnt worry about stacking on top of that box, I can leave it on all day and I can barely feel any heat at all. I does have side vents so it probably doesnt matter. But I would never attempt to put anything on top of my e86, unless its an egg I want to fry. LMAO

Dismantle the diplexer assembly and mount a weather proof box to put it in? That is what the cable company here does

I cant see where the (white?) ground cable goes to, I take your word that it is to a suitable grounding point. What I am saying above is the DISH is not connected to the ground, I will say it again.....There should be a ground cable from the switch/ground block to the dish, the cable should be......
#10 copper
#8 Alum.
#17 Copper coated steel
I am trying to help other people get what they paid for..a legal installation. I dont care how many installs he has done, maybe this is the first one anyone has seen! If/when static builds up on your dish it has nowhere to discharge, call them back out, or maybe you are one of the people who dont want to fuss or get people in trouble......I am not! Folks if your install looks like this scream bloody murder! Your entire system is at risk!

"He installed 182 of these dishes, I would think he would know what to do. But who knows maybe I am wrong..." Did you check his license, SBCA1+2, Photo ID or Voom certification........well it looks like you should have! You can check mine below, and you can check my license on the state of MN electricity web page! The main thing is your happy......ding!

Attachments

• Pict0001.JPG
    Pict0001.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 173
I am sure 90 percent of installs look like that. My D* install did. So does my V* install. I would call my local city electrical inspector to verify the electrical code. I have the NEC book at work, Ill check it this week. I would not rely soley on what an installs, Inc training course says though. Of course my dish is screwed into aluminum siding which wraps the entire house. Where is the grounding loop on the dish, or grounding screw? Is there not metal to metal contact in the stranded wires that surround the RG6 cable underneath the cable insulation?

Again i will check the book at work and call the city electrical inspector, we both work at city hall.

PSB said:
Did you check his license, SBCA1+2, Photo ID or Voom certification........well it looks like you should have! You can check mine below, and you can check my license on the state of MN electricity web page!
PSB - Can I request you for my install on 6/21 in Cologne??? (west of Chaska/south of Waconia) :D

No, (sorry) I have not been "selected" by I.Inc. to perform VoOM installations, even though I was asked to waste a Sunday and go to the certification class(and passed)? You would be best getting whoever is doing the installs in your area to do it, the simple reason is they mail the systems to the installer, and with so many problems with the STB's you would be best to have an installer who has a few STB's for back up, just to be on the safe side! Sorry but this would be best for you, the customer and that is what I am all about!

And NO Vurbano none of my installs look like this, take your time and go look at your book, do you think I would be saying it if I did not read it in my NEC book and buy the correct cable and install in this manner every day? Thats the worst part about trying to help folks, there is alway someone waiting in the wing to nit pick........get a life : )
IT is NOT TO CODE! I Know you would LOVE to prove me wrong, show us your licence!
I told you where to go online to check mine!
Thats also why only last week I was asked up to the State of MN. electricity board office to advise them on satellite dish grounding as they are thinking about changing the code! You can also see from above I am not doing this to get more work! I am out to help people who are being conned into thinking they have a legal install, whats your motivation here? Because 90% of peoples installs are illegal does not mean we should lie back and accept it, it would not happen in any other industry, and it does not happen to my customers or friends! And for you to condone it or accept it is just not good enough, I can sleep well at night knowing my work is safe and legal :shocked

http://dbsinstall.com/Whatis/Whatisgood-5.htm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)