Pillarbox Problem on R22

Status
Please reply by conversation.

orangesox

Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
North Alabama
I just signed back up on Directv after 18 months on Dish. They installed an R22 box on my widescreen HDTV (I didn't sign up for HD service). Every channel has a pillarbox on the side of the picture. Is this a common problem? The installer said he thought it should have cleard itself up with the software download that happened right after start up.I've had two other DVRs connected to this TV in the past, and never had this problem. Directv tech support really offers no help, other than to say they don't know why this would happen or if it can be fixed. My TV's aspect ratio adjustment doesn't help this either.

You cant Adjust the HD Formatting on the R22 even though it has Component and HDMI outputs.. which output are you using?

You should be able to use the TV to stretch the 4:3 image out to 16:9, but that will make everyone shorter and fatter.

Everyone on the TV, that is.

I just signed back up on Directv after 18 months on Dish. They installed an R22 box on my widescreen HDTV (I didn't sign up for HD service). Every channel has a pillarbox on the side of the picture. Is this a common problem? The installer said he thought it should have cleard itself up with the software download that happened right after start up.I've had two other DVRs connected to this TV in the past, and never had this problem. Directv tech support really offers no help, other than to say they don't know why this would happen or if it can be fixed. My TV's aspect ratio adjustment doesn't help this either.

Ok, I'll ask why would you not do HD? I understand it increases your monthly $9.99 but that's nothing.

I notice on my R22 that if you set the tv ratio to 16:9 the receiver will put up pillars boxes. The only way I can stop it is to set the ratio at 4:3 in the display setup tab and let the tv do the work instead. I could not figure any way to stop this behavior and/or adjust the pillars.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Help! SWM 5 LNB Slimline Install Problems!

why are HD channels on 70's and then again on higher numbers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)