Pixelation driving me nuts.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Cliff

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 15, 2003
Wyman, Kentucky, United States
I received my install 3-15-04, technicians did a nice job. Satellite signal with factory dish at 39 to 42. After watching programs for a couple of hours the pixelation began, nice clear day, no obstructions.

The following morning it was raining lightly and I had no signal couldn't get any picture at all. Still have dish system connected, switched to it, working perfectly.

The next day I checked the voom installation for loose or bad connections, checked for moisture, realigned dish and tightened (signal increased to 54) thought to myself, I got you now.

Turned on receiver and still have sporadic pixelation all channels. Not being satisfied with my signal I ordered a 30" dish. Installed it and signal increased to 74 (according to previous software) watched TV a couple of days with very little picture breakup. I Thought to myself, I got you now.

Got up this morning turned on set and noticed a new software update, satellite signal quality at 97 and signal power at 74, modem test does not work, report back does not work, warning screen when you enter system setup, # of satellite channels at 0, # of off air at 0, and the pixelation is so bad I can't watch any programs. Clear day no wind.

I like "Voom" but I can't live with this, hate to have installer drive 150 miles if I can do it myself.

Anyone else having this problem? Luckily I kept my "Dish" subscription.

The time period you are describing, Voom had about 3 days of massive picture breakups but it's been resolved. Everything I've watched over the last few days has been fine. With digital signals you are going to have occassional pixelation with your picture. I have not seen a single digital channel (sat or OTA) that has not experienced pixelation to some degree. It's the equivalent of 'snow' on an Analog channel.

Cliff said:
Got up this morning turned on set and noticed a new software update, satellite signal quality at 97 and signal power at 74, modem test does not work, report back does not work, warning screen when you enter system setup, # of satellite channels at 0, # of off air at 0, and the pixelation is so bad I can't watch any programs. Clear day no wind.

I like "Voom" but I can't live with this, hate to have installer drive 150 miles if I can do it myself.

Anyone else having this problem? Luckily I kept my "Dish" subscription.

I didn't check this morning, but I had no pixelation problem at all over the last week or so.

Cilff, that's very odd that you have a signal quality over 95 and you are still getting pixelation. That sounds like an stb going bad. I will put a service call and request a new stb.

Missing Info

"modem test does not work, report back does not work, warning screen when you enter system setup, # of satellite channels at 0, # of off air at 0"

My info that's missing is the same as yours, but I'm had no problem with pixel loss.

Cliff,
"modem test does not work, report back does not work, warning screen when you enter system setup, # of satellite channels at 0, # of off air at 0"
This is normal. Everything about the report is normal, except for the unwatchable picture. The SD channels all have some pixelization from time to time, but you shouldn't have constant picture breakups as described. Turning down the sharpness control on your TV can also reduce the amount of apparent pixelization.

Does your VOOM receiver have adequate space for ventilation? You didn't set anything on top of the box, did you? I would do as the others suggest--perform a reset, and if that doesn't fix it, call Voom and report the problem.

It is now 3:30 CST and I guess I'm going to have to place a call to "Voom" for a replacement receiver. I've rebooted, unplugged from power source, swapped cables, contrast brightness and sharpness on TV are all less than fifty percent, receiver is well ventilated as it sets upon a mesh shelf and the picture and audio are still breaking up with a 98 signal quality.

Sure do like the picture when it's not breaking up.

Thanks Guys

I assume you have a clear line of sight? In other words, there is nothing that could be blowing in the way of your dish from time to time, interrupting the signal?

Sharpness should be close to zero. Although if your entire picture is breaking up with 98 signal quality, it sounds like the receiver has a problem -- I would call Voom.

I live in Western Kentucky and have an excellent line of sight no trees or obstacles and yes the sharpness is actually at 18 percent. I've even cross braced the dish to hold it rigid as it seems the slightest movement of the dish can alter the signal. I found this out when I was re-aligning the dish I had to set the elevation one degree above required to allow for drooping of the dish. I assume with the low power of the satellite, precision is an absolute. Like you said I guess it's time to call Voom, I just hate to have the installer drive 150 miles just to replace a receiver.

Thanks again Y'all

How Much Is Standard With Voom

I Get Pix Quit A Bit Also, Primarly During Action Scenes In Both Hdtv And Standard, Ota Through Voom And Voodm Signal. This Is Pretty Constant On Movie Channels That Are In Standard Def. This Is Both Before And After The Update. And Of Course I Lock Up All The Time Now As I Read Other Are Also After The Update. But The Real Question Is The Pix Normal Or Should I Be Calling Voom. And If It Is Normal Doesn't This Drive Everyone Else Crazy Because It Sure Does Me. And Done A Full Isf Calibration And Sharpness May Mask This Somewhat But Will Never Take Care Of The Problem. Thanks For Any Input. Also I Am Fairly New To The Forum, Can Some One Give Me The Heads Up On The 988 And I Think I Saw A 977 Menu Mentioned.

Thank You

tmitchell said:
I Get Pix Quit A Bit Also, Primarly During Action Scenes In Both Hdtv And Standard, Ota Through Voom And Voodm Signal. This Is Pretty Constant On Movie Channels That Are In Standard Def. This Is Both Before And After The Update. And Of Course I Lock Up All The Time Now As I Read Other Are Also After The Update. But The Real Question Is The Pix Normal Or Should I Be Calling Voom. And If It Is Normal Doesn't This Drive Everyone Else Crazy Because It Sure Does Me. And Done A Full Isf Calibration And Sharpness May Mask This Somewhat But Will Never Take Care Of The Problem. Thanks For Any Input. Also I Am Fairly New To The Forum, Can Some One Give Me The Heads Up On The 988 And I Think I Saw A 977 Menu Mentioned.

Thank You

Tune to a specific channel where you see the pixelation and check your signal quality and power for satellite here. You may need to repeak your dish.

Most Channels

This Happens On Most Channels, I Could Pick Almost Any Of Them. Repeak? (check For Signal Strength On That Channel?) Also, Is There A Thread To Read On 988 And 977 Service Mode Settings?

Thanks Sean

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)