This new software is quirky and driving me crazy! My rant

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
First off I really want to like the new version.
Finally the guide use makes more sense, plus lots of great features!
However.I am having the following problems I never had before for months.
1.Bad picture breakups on all voom channels since download. Yes I have soft and hard re-booted but they are still there.
2. When changing channels in guide fast. box still locks up. who said they addressed this problem. Dont think so.
3.OTA scanning did find me a couple more channels here is Seattle. However 3 of them have no sound. WHAT GIVES!
4. when you soft boot you have to do OTA scan over again. Minor detail but a pain.

Still love my Voom. just frustrated. :no

How about the fact that the PG reverts to the channel you're on only when using the "All Channels" PG. Which I never use, that's why there's a "favorites" PG

My Dish Recievers revert to the channel you're on no matter what PG you're in. And If you're on a channel that's not on the current PG It switches to the All channel PG to the channel you're on.

And the PG Descriptions are still incomplete. and of course wrong in some cases. Blaming this on Zap to it is a cop out. E* manages to get it's info right.

I surfed through all channels and the sound dropped on 3 requiring a flick back and forth to get the sound. So I guess that wasn't addressed either.

The VOOM PG software Is Crap.

So.... The Two things I was looking forward to being fixed with this FW push still are not taken care of.....

(If the DVR is Motorola with similar SW..... I fear it's going to be sad.)

iceshark said:
1.Bad picture breakups on all voom channels since download. Yes I have soft and hard re-booted but they are still there.
Try this: switch to a strong OTA channel (by entering its number on the remote) and then switch back to a satellite channel (either by pressing BACK or by entering its number, not through ChUp/Dn). Works for me. See this thread for details.

E* manages to get it's info right.
Apparently you do not have the Dish HD Pack, HDNET is wrong a LOT! There is no excuse for it because I get a weekly email schedule from HDNET so I'm sure they provide the same info to the PG provider.

RANT MODE ON! One box got the new software and I just tried scanning even though I already get all of my channels. Here's what happens: I get all channels except PBS so I go check the signal strength on my Dish 6000 and it is in the 90's, go back to Voom, do the re-aim antenna, put in 27 and it shows 98 instantly, but during the scan, it sits on 27 for a few seconds but WILL NOT PICK IT UP!

So until this POS will pick up 27 for me, I am not going to save the settings. Come on VOOM, give us a manual entry option, your auto scan does not work properly. RANT MODE OFF!

I disagree.

NOHDjunkie said:
The VOOM PG software Is Crap.
The VOOM guide is different in a lot of ways, and it takes some getting used to. If you take time to learn how it works, it's easier to use, IMO. What difference does it make what channel comes up when you look at the guide? Nothing is more than a click or two away. You're just programmed to expect one thing, so anything else is "broken". Jeez, get over it!

And dish's guide ain't that great. Every time I go to "pic with guide" mode with dish, I have to wait 3-5 minutes for the picture to show in the guide. It's instantly there with voom.

My 2 cents worth.

This ain't about Dish it's about Voom.

All the firmware updates in the world can not fix one basic problem with Voom. This crappy Motorola STB. Until Voom gets rid of this poor excuse for "the newest technology" as they love to say in thier misleading TV ads-nothing will change.

I am so tired of the lockups most of all. I can't believe they could not fix this problem. Voom loves to tell us they are "better", why not show us instead!

I dont mind the guide now with the updates. In fact I like it as well as my Dishplayer pvr.

Has anyone else had a problem with no audio on OTA channels.?
after scan I have 4 more PBS channels but PBS kids (for the kids) has signal strength of 94 but no sound?!

DarrellP said:
RANT MODE ON! One box got the new software and I just tried scanning even though I already get all of my channels. Here's what happens: I get all channels except PBS so I go check the signal strength on my Dish 6000 and it is in the 90's, go back to Voom, do the re-aim antenna, put in 27 and it shows 98 instantly, but during the scan, it sits on 27 for a few seconds but WILL NOT PICK IT UP!

So until this POS will pick up 27 for me, I am not going to save the settings. Come on VOOM, give us a manual entry option, your auto scan does not work properly. RANT MODE OFF!
That means that your local PBS is not transmitting the PSIP info, Voom has nothing to do with it. Its kinda funny, in my area PBS is the only one that DOES transmit the PSIP info, so its the only one Voom will add.

JaydeeD said:
That means that your local PBS is not transmitting the PSIP info, Voom has nothing to do with it. Its kinda funny, in my area PBS is the only one that DOES transmit the PSIP info, so its the only one Voom will add.
That sucks, it tunes in in just fine on the antenna pointing and I can tune it in via the Voom mapped channels, so what's the diff? No local station around here except CBS actually transmits the entire PSIP info.

All digital stations have to transmit the PSIP or the receiver will not lock it in. As for what Voom is looking for in the PSIP stream is another matter. :mad: Turkeys. :p

Despite having one "glitch" requiring a softboot, which is one more than I had in the last version, this rev is a great incremental release. I think it is at least a 10:1 good vs bad experience. Just the OTA scanning is a big benefit. Hide any channels with low signal (other threads below 86) and stability goes up. It took to long to come, but definitely headed in the riught direction.

DarrellP said:
... I already get all of my channels...
Are you saying that the PBS is already in your OTA map? If so, then what's the problem? The way I understand it, scanning does not remove any channels from the map, only adds them.

Yes, it's in the Voom provided map, I just wanted to scan so I can pick up a couple of other subchannels, but now I can't because if I save the scan, my PBS will go bye-bye.

So are you telling me if I scan and save it and PBS is NOT in the list I won't lose it?

DarrellP said:
So are you telling me if I scan and save it and PBS is NOT in the list I won't lose it?
That's right. Scanned channels are added to the predefined map.