New Software version 7.37

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
spacecookie said:
Had 7.33 forced the 7.37 update this is what I noticed.

my STB is connected to my HDTV and I ran the coax out upstairs to the bedroom using a URC-9910 and control it via RF.

Under 7.33 had to manually change the screen aspect to stretch or squeeze to compensate for the 4x3 TV upstairs, trying to avoid the plasma burn in.

Under the 7.37 I no longer have to change it, all regular chanels are fine the HD ones turn into letterbox. And as an added bonus my local channels increased to include the next area.

Just my observation...

I am going to guess that 7.37 didn't actually do anything new re: your aspect ratio - though it seems to have reset your box to use "NATIVE" aspect ratio... What this means is that when you tune a channel the format/resolution of that channel is "passed through" untouched to the output of the receiver. In the case of an HD channel, it outputs that signal (720p or 1080i) which in turn causes your TV to react to that signal "squeezing" it automatically. When you turn to a SD channel it outputs 480i which your TV shows in full screen.

You can change this behavior by pressing the red button under the little door on the lower right front of the receiver. This cycles between 1080i output (on all channels), 720p output (on all channels), 480p, 480i, and (when all bars are lit up above the door) "NATIVE" mode.

In addition to the red button you can also change it through the installer menu - however the ONLY way to get it to use NATIVE mode is via the red button on the front of the receiver.

"Have a problem. At times, my screen goes black. It only goes black for a few seconds and then the picture comes back on. This might happen several times an evening. While this happens, my sound continues. I was told by Voom that the new software upgrade will fix this. I am currently on 7.33. Any experience? Is it fixed by the new upgrade?"

Do a search under "screen black outs". This is a typical problem when using DVI on some sets.

Got the download last night. Now when I tune to one channel (which has a very strong signal), I see that channel number in the program guide but actually see the signal of another channel. I did a channel scan. Any suggestions?

My upstairs stb, which sits in standby alot, was updated perfectly with out intervention. My downstairs stb, which is on all the time for tivo (630hrs since last standby) was locked up with a red led on. I held in the button to do a soft reset, and the downloaded started, and I switched to tivo to watch ER live until it was done (I get basic cable for recording locals, because upn is not on in digital in my area yet, and NBC signal has been in and out this winter). I checked back 30 minutes later and watched the rest of ER in HD with version 7.37 installed. The settings menus now seem snappier and more nimble. No delays moving between interface elements like there used to be. So far, I don't see nay problems with 7.37. Still no super DMA here in Pittsburgh though.

Mine upgraded the day before yesterday. I forced it and the stb got stuck so I had to power cycle to get the download going. After the download seemed to work fine. However, yesterday I noticed while channel surfing to see if any new channel showed up, just in case, the stb locked up on channel 400 something. I had to do a soft boot to get it back. Anyone else notice similar issues with the new software?

The menu does seem snappier, though.

CarlosC said:
"Have a problem. At times, my screen goes black. It only goes black for a few seconds and then the picture comes back on. This might happen several times an evening. While this happens, my sound continues. I was told by Voom that the new software upgrade will fix this. I am currently on 7.33. Any experience? Is it fixed by the new upgrade?"

Do a search under "screen black outs". This is a typical problem when using DVI on some sets.

I get them under Component. Either the box or the programming is a POS. Maybe both. Also seems ludicrous to need a silly map. The box should scan anything it can find.

mikbro said:
I am going to guess that 7.37 didn't actually do anything new re: your aspect ratio - though it seems to have reset your box to use "NATIVE" aspect ratio... What this means is that when you tune a channel the format/resolution of that channel is "passed through" untouched to the output of the receiver. In the case of an HD channel, it outputs that signal (720p or 1080i) which in turn causes your TV to react to that signal "squeezing" it automatically. When you turn to a SD channel it outputs 480i which your TV shows in full screen.

You can change this behavior by pressing the red button under the little door on the lower right front of the receiver. This cycles between 1080i output (on all channels), 720p output (on all channels), 480p, 480i, and (when all bars are lit up above the door) "NATIVE" mode.

In addition to the red button you can also change it through the installer menu - however the ONLY way to get it to use NATIVE mode is via the red button on the front of the receiver.

That is possible, 2 more peices of information to add. With the little red button my resolution is set to 720p (didn't like the resolution flip of the plasma) allways has been and still is just checked, and the 4x3 TV upstairs doesn't auto resize for nothing. I would get a zoom effect if not changed manually.

Something strange with my box: I never used to get the marks, dots, whatever left on the screen after exiting the menu, now it seems like I get them almost every time. This may be more a function of not resetting my box in over a month, I'll have to try that. Since the previous update, my stb has been much more solid. My last reset time in the menu is over 250 hours.

DarrellP said:
Something strange with my box: I never used to get the marks, dots, whatever left on the screen after exiting the menu, now it seems like I get them almost every time. This may be more a function of not resetting my box in over a month...
No, I think this is a function of what is in the Program Guide. Certain program listings leave marks when you exit the guide. Others don't.

Ilya said:
No, I think this is a function of what is in the Program Guide. Certain program listings leave marks when you exit the guide. Others don't.

When will Voom fix it? Its been a problem a longgggggg time.

Also after exiting the system menus using "back" it will return to the channel it was on but then jump back to the system menu and you have to go "back" to the channel again with another key press. This is silly.

I am also getting occasional black screens for a second or two on component. When does this get fixed?

Also a new problem recently, I think returning from the system menus and the channel is blank. Then you have to advance to the next channel and go back to the one you want for it to come in.

vurbano said:
When will Voom fix it? Its been a problem a longgggggg time.

Also after exiting the system menus using "back" it will return to the channel it was on but then jump back to the system menu and you have to go "back" to the channel again with another key press. This is silly.

I am also getting occasional black screens for a second or two on component. When does this get fixed?

Also a new problem recently, I think returning from the system menus and the channel is blank. Then you have to advance to the next channel and go back to the one you want for it to come in.

The last problem you mentioned started with 7.33 for me.

cmurray said:
The last problem you mentioned started with 7.33 for me.

I think your right. It is recent. and its a silly programming problem IMO.

But PLEASE fix the dots!!!!!!!! theyre drivin me nuts this weekend! That crap has been going on for over a year!!!!!!!!!:mad:

And while Im bitchin.. why do I feel compelled to pull out my trusty Hughes e86 HIRD to check OTA signal strength? Is it the obnoxious ear piercing noise the voom moto emits? is it the super slow signal meter? or the easy way you can simply change channels with the D* box and check signal without a cheat sheet of RF numbers in your hand? Comeon Voom make this thing useful!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I am having Problems with 7.37!

I got the download a day or two ago and now have the following problems

Signal @ 97
Using component @ 1080

I get long audio dropouts and short video dropouts (black screen). Sometimes the audio goes dead for 10+ seconds, I had to switch channels a few times to get it back. Never had these problems with the older software.

Another really bad thing that happened today, I could change channels and the banner would change but not the picture, it stayed on the same channel until I rebooted the receiver.

This is the worst it's been since 6.xx, VOOM Rewind me!!!!

No one else getting this kind of weird stuff now??

Geeky.

geekygizmo said:
Another really bad thing that happened today, I could change channels and the banner would change but not the picture, it stayed on the same channel until I rebooted the receiver.

I had the same problem last night, and had to reboot also.

The new software hasn't solved some of the ocassional problems that I've had since I started with Voom in December:
Sometimes the sound drops out and have to change channels to get it back
Sometimes I get a blank screen when changing channels, and have to switch up/down and back a few times to get the picture
SciFi channel is difficult to get at times
The stray pixel problem that you have to click Voom then Watch to fix

Overall, I've never had to reboot frequently, but it does happen on ocassion.

My boxes are working fine. I've wondered about the various problems that people have reported regarding upgrades. It seems to me that there are only two possibilities...1) There is an incompatibility with certain h/w versions of the box, and 2) Something went bump in the night with the f/w download. Goes without saying that two different boxes running the same firmware have to have the same results. Don't know what kind of regression testing VOOM does with their firmware on various h/w revs, and don't know what kind of error checking they do on the f/w download, but obviously that's easiest thing for most people to check...as they can't easily swap boxes out. I haven't gone through the menus, but can you FORCE a reload of the same version of code that you're already on?

Lob

The white dot problem is as old or older than the infamous "microstutter" problem and Voom has never fixed it?? WHY not? The goal is to attract subs with a professional HDTV service. pressing the voom button and the back button 60% of the time you change channels is not going to impress a new subscriber. And as an old subscriber its gone past annoying. Its time to fix it.

Sorry...but I've never seen that problem on my set...let alone %60 of the time.

Lob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts