Pixelation problem

rgbburn

Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Had Dishnet installed a few days ago. On the local channels, the picture is not crisp, and breaks up when the TV camera pans in any direction. On all the channels, there is a set of vertical squigly lines running from left to right across the screen in the background (not easily seen by the naked eye, but visible when changing channels up/down when the screen goes black, and also visible inside the info box at the top of the screen when changing channels. This occurs on all 4 televisions in the house. The picture was better with Comcast's basic analog signal. The signal strength is 82.

Thoughts?

Well the signal should be higher but is within the minimum paremeters set forth by dish. The squigles are refered to as dropout and is most likely caused by electrical interferance getting into the system at a poor connection or a bad grounding point. Locals on any satellite provider are not going to be as stellar as what you see on the other channels and is the fault of the local service. Call back to dish and ask for advanced tech support and explain to them what your seeing and that you want someone to come out and fix the marginal signal and the dropout issue.

As far as I have heard (and seen) the local channels that DISH provides are fairly low quality (this depends alot on your viewing source). From what I have heard this is because of the compression. I know that on my 57" they look pretty bad (in Atlanta). That being said, you should not be seeing the problems that you are seeing. Who did your install? A pro or did you do it yourself? I think you should give DISH a call and let them know what you are seeing. Hopefully they will send someone out to look at it for you.

on what satellite did you check your signal strength? 110 or 119? because if you have 82 on the 119, 110 is probably worse... and most locals come off of the 110, unless you are in a superdish dma

The second set of problems you're having sounds like a classic symptom of an attenuated video signal for TV2 off a dual-room receiver like a 322/522/625/942. Are you watching this via channel 60, 73, or similar to that? If so, try to set the TV2 channel to something different and experiment. If not, try to use S-Video cables for video.

As for your locals. There's not much you can do about that because locals are compressed heavily and artifact quite a bit (pixelization and blurring) on fast-motion video. Just try to watch as far away from the TV as possible and use good cable hookups like S-Video. Or get an off-air antenna if reception permits. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts