Pixellation of DC HD Locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spartyinmd

Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
My installer said that the DC locals for HD will come in pixellated at times and it is a problem D* is having. I, obviously, don't believe him for a moment. He said that the pixellation issue will not be a problem during HD broadcasts of sports games. Is this a problem of an installer having no clue how to setup the 5LNB dish and has no clue what he is doing or is this really a problem? I live in Charles Town, WV which is a good 50 miles from DC but since the locals are broadcast via the satellite I should not be having the pixellation issues, correct? I have values on my SD receivers with my satellite strength in teh low to mid 90's on each but in the low 80's on the "only satellite transponders needed for HD". He said the transponder 9 and 16 on the 99 degree are the only transponders used for broadcasting.

spartyinmd said:
My installer said that the DC locals for HD will come in pixellated at times and it is a problem D* is having. I, obviously, don't believe him for a moment. He said that the pixellation issue will not be a problem during HD broadcasts of sports games. Is this a problem of an installer having no clue how to setup the 5LNB dish and has no clue what he is doing or is this really a problem? I live in Charles Town, WV which is a good 50 miles from DC but since the locals are broadcast via the satellite I should not be having the pixellation issues, correct? I have values on my SD receivers with my satellite strength in teh low to mid 90's on each but in the low 80's on the "only satellite transponders needed for HD". He said the transponder 9 and 16 on the 99 degree are the only transponders used for broadcasting.
I live in CT where we just got 2 of our HD locals on Wednesday. I can tell you that ocassionally there is slight pixelation on these channels. I do have an excellent signal on both the 99 and 103 sats, so I know that's not the problem.

It is definitely a problem. I just had my local HD's turned on in Orlando last week and there is pixel problems on all the shows I have watched. I will have to see when there is a sports game if it goes away. The OTA I have hooked up as a backup does not have that problem so I am using that most of the time for the primetime HD shows.

Seriously, the pixelation is worse than the occasional multipath drop I used to get from my OTA. I'm actually watching that more now.
Have to say that I'm a big D* apologist, but I'm pretty disappointed in this. My wife has put up with a lot (and I keep telling her to wait, it's going to get better), and was really looking forward to HD LIL and now it's worse than with the OTA. Hope it's fixed soon.

spartyinmd said:

Is it happening on your Local CBS (WUSA 9) HD channel. Top 1/3 of screen.
I have been fighting them for two months about this.
They keep giving me a run-a-round.
Call them.

Actually it is happening on EVERY one of the locals. Also, (and I am about to post another thread on this) it seems the new 5 LNB dish is very sensative to weather. We had a moderate rain event here in WV tonight and we lost the satellite signal completely for about 20 minutes. When we had the single LNB we had no such problems. It this also an issue folks have seen with the new 5 LNB dish?

I'm in Northern CA - my CBS HD Local has a very bad pixel problem on HD shows but if you stay on the channel for a bit it calms down. No other local has this problem nor any of the other HD channels.

CBS in NY has had this problem for awhile. After months of this channel being unwatchable, it seems to finally be fixed. I think D* is still trying to get the MPEG4 stuff all worked out.

I am glad you guys are all coming back with these responses. The people I talk to at D* tech support are clueless. The three people I talked to all said I was the first one to call in about this problem which I know is BS from just hearing these problems from you. They are going to have a tech come out, but I don't think it is going to do any good. I still think it is a broadcasting issue.

I live in Western MD (Cumberland) and the pixelization is really bad at times on channel 7 out of DC. I still have my DNS HD networks and find myself watching it more than the MPEG4 Locals because of the picture problems. When it is right, MPEG4 does seem slightly better than MPEG2 but the picture issues and the audio sync problems are getting frustrating.

This is definitely not a problem with the original DC feeds. I get all of them OTA and haven't seen these problems at all.

Okay...he came back yesterday...same guy who did the original install. He changed out my dish to a different (Andrews) dish. When he aligned it he had me next to him watching. It looked like he peaked everything but when we went back inside it was still on occassion pixellating on the locals. It looks better but not 100%. He told me to call D* and get a new H20 sent out because he thinks that may be the cause (Not so sure on that one).

After he left I found the site with the training videos and watched them. He did NONE of the fine tuning the way it tells you to do it on the video. The parts where it says that just because you have a max on the ku does not mean you have a max on ka is something I think he completely missed. He never once wrote a thing down and it seemed that he completely missed all of the actual tuning portions of the video when he was trained.

He said (of course) that he is the person sent out in the DC Area when there are problems with the original install. He says he is their top dog....I am beginning to completely think the people they have installing D* are a bunch of complete dolts.

Anyone know someone in the Easter PanHandle of WV/ DC area that knows how to install correctly as I am getting disgusted with the way things are going and for him to constantly tell me that this is the way D* has their setup currently with horrible pixelalting on HD Locals.

I was told by several D* reps that we should not being getting the pixellation problem at all on the local HD's. I have a installer coming out the afternoon of the 18th of July so I will let you know what he tells me. It looks like some people have this problem, but most don't so it sounds like a receiver problem. If anyone else has anymore information please let us know.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)