Placing a BUD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sammughal

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 7, 2020
Toronto Ontario Canada
I know I cannot properly setup my bud on a pole cemented in till I have and have a good view of the south however I got bored today and started assembling my bud. A 10 foot wineguard to see how big it looks in the backyard. Almost done assembling the panels but it got dark outside and the mosquitoes started coming out. I have the dish currently left outside like pictured. I’ve placed it in the way like pictured is there any harm to the dish by placing it like that? Can it damage something? I’m a newbie so I’m wondering. Also the polor mount is very heavy so I don’t think I can attach it but I can see AMC 11 131 between two houses it’s tight but I can see a little of it. Would I be able to pickup signals by attaching the feedpoles and put on a feedhorn with LNB and pointing it towards AMC 11 131 ? Or will I need a stand or polor mount or can I just hold it in place by leaning it against the fence or chair? Sorry I’m new to the hobby so I’m learning.

Attachments

• BF44DB9E-ACC0-4541-A01F-9C8A7413E0D2.jpeg
    BF44DB9E-ACC0-4541-A01F-9C8A7413E0D2.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 287
I know I cannot properly setup my bud on a pole cemented in till I have and have a good view of the south however I got bored today and started assembling my bud. A 10 foot wineguard to see how big it looks in the backyard. Almost done assembling the panels but it got dark outside and the mosquitoes started coming out. I have the dish currently left outside like pictured. I’ve placed it in the way like pictured is there any harm to the dish by placing it like that? Can it damage something? I’m a newbie so I’m wondering. Also the polor mount is very heavy so I don’t think I can attach it but I can see AMC 11 131 between two houses it’s tight but I can see a little of it. Would I be able to pickup signals by attaching the feedpoles and put on a feedhorn with LNB and pointing it towards AMC 11 131 ? Or will I need a stand or polor mount or can I just hold it in place by leaning it against the fence or chair? Sorry I’m new to the hobby so I’m learning.
Would be better face down on a flat surface but,ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
My first dish,an all steel mesh job(heavy),I put together in my driveway,in January,during a blizzard :eeek.
After it was together I rolled it over and leaned it up against the back of the house.After not too much fiddling around I had tv.With a length of 2x4 and steps made out of blocks,I could get about 10 different sats,used it that way the rest of the winter.
Of course that was back in the analog days when it was much easier to find things.

Reactions: MikeI
Would be better face down on a flat surface but,ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
My first dish,an all steel mesh job(heavy),I put together in my driveway,in January,during a blizzard :eeek.
After it was together I rolled it over and leaned it up against the back of the house.After not too much fiddling around I had tv.With a length of 2x4 and steps made out of blocks,I could get about 10 different sats,used it that way the rest of the winter.
Of course that was back in the analog days when it was much easier to find things.

Would it ruin the dish in a night if I leave it like pictured ? If so I’m going to go and put it the other way ASAP. If it’s okay otherwise I’ll attach the other panel and play around and try to attach the feedpoles and feedhorn and see if I can point it to AMC 11 and if I can get the signal it’s between two homes so it might not work but I can swing it around the other side of the arc and try focussing the dish onto the other sats they only have digital stuff and nice member gave me a little receiver a while back. Do you think I can attach the panel and feedpoles and feedhorn with cband LNB and hookup a digital and analog receiver and swing the dish around and lay it on my backyard fence do you think it will work? Sorry I’m new to setting up dishes and this is my first time. I’m only trying this setup temporary because I’m bored. I’m moving to a new city sometime this year so I will do a permanent install with everything such as proper polor mount and cemented in and properly installed but for now I can only do short experiments with a limited view of satellites.

Would it ruin the dish in a night if I leave it like pictured ? If so I’m going to go and put it the other way ASAP. If it’s okay otherwise I’ll attach the other panel and play around and try to attach the feedpoles and feedhorn and see if I can point it to AMC 11 and if I can get the signal it’s between two homes so it might not work but I can swing it around the other side of the arc and try focussing the dish onto the other sats they only have digital stuff and nice member gave me a little receiver a while back. Do you think I can attach the panel and feedpoles and feedhorn with cband LNB and hookup a digital and analog receiver and swing the dish around and lay it on my backyard fence do you think it will work? Sorry I’m new to setting up dishes and this is my first time. I’m only trying this setup temporary because I’m bored. I’m moving to a new city sometime this year so I will do a permanent install with everything such as proper polor mount and cemented in and properly installed but for now I can only do short experiments with a limited view of satellites.
I would complete the reflector with the bolts only finger tight, then, with the help of another person, flip it face down on a flat surface and tighten the bolts gently.You might need some temporary support in the middle. What you want to avoid is distorting the panels by lack of symmetry. Also if someone bumps into it, it would be a lot more resilient if fully assembled.

As far as trying to receive CSPAN on 131W, i think it's worth trying, if you can bring a receiver and TV near the dish. Assemble the feed arms and LNBF etc, hook it up, tune the receiver to the right frequency etc, and manually hold/move the dish and see what you get. Just make sure you don't leave the dish in precarious position, so that it does not get damaged or doesn't hurt someone (it's still quite heavy even without the mount)

Are you planing on moving to a different location or do you plan to use it at your current site?

If it's the current site spend some time doing a sight survey. A simple elevation sighting device can be made using a plastic straw and an Inclinometer. Research what satellites you might be interested in and try to find a spot with a clear view.

In my case the only option was an above roof line mount. The first thing I did was install the mount pipe and put the dish together piece by piece with the dish turned toward the roof so I had a safe place to work from. A 10 foot dish is very heavy and I think it is much better to assemble it direct onto the completed mount.

Are you planing on moving to a different location or do you plan to use it at your current site?

If it's the current site spend some time doing a sight survey. A simple elevation sighting device can be made using a plastic straw and an Inclinometer. Research what satellites you might be interested in and try to find a spot with a clear view.

In my case the only option was an above roof line mount. The first thing I did was install the mount pipe and put the dish together piece by piece with the dish turned toward the roof so I had a safe place to work from. A 10 foot dish is very heavy and I think it is much better to assemble it direct onto the completed mount.

I plan on moving to a new site within this year latest next year. I definitely don’t want to do a permanent install. Just have spare time and very limited line of site from the backyard so today my dad and I bolted the dish together but I’m wondering if I can lean it against the fence and perhaps it can pickup some signal ? Just experimenting.

I plan on moving to a new site within this year latest next year. I definitely don’t want to do a permanent install. Just have spare time and very limited line of site from the backyard so today my dad and I bolted the dish together but I’m wondering if I can lean it against the fence and perhaps it can pickup some signal ? Just experimenting.
Yes, you should be able to prop it up with hay bails or whatever and get the elevation and azimuth very close then if you leave the LNB loose so you can fudge it around you should be able to get a lock.

Yes, you should be able to prop it up with hay bails or whatever and get the elevation and azimuth very close then if you leave the LNB loose so you can fudge it around you should be able to get a lock.

I am having a hard time figuring out how to attach the feedhorn to the feedpoles. Kinda having difficulty figuring it out.

I am having a hard time figuring out how to attach the feedhorn to the feedpoles. Kinda having difficulty figuring it out.
If you did not take pictures before taking it apart you might be able to find images using google and the manufacture/model of the dish. Also, someone on this forum might have the same dish and will chime in.

The feed supports attach to the outer perimeter of the Winegard antenna. You have a Winegard Quadstar.
There are 4 holes - one in each section - I can see one of the holes in the picture you posted.

The feed supports have different bends if I remember correctly. One end is designed to attach to the antenna, and the other end is designed to attach to the scaler ring.

If you have the antenna on the mount, simply hold the feed leg to the antenna and it should make sense quickly.

Good luck.

Reactions: Sammughal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)