" Platinum Movie Package"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gatekeeper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 17, 2005
Been looking at all the movie channels lately. It looks like many of the Premium channels have some sort of offer to get you to subscribe. I think they realize that a majority of people, with a decent internet provider are streaming movies/channels. I personally thing pay-premium movie channels, will be a thing of the past before too long. Here's an idea Dish, and this is just an idea. Have a movie package with all 4 movie services for $19.95 a month. (PLATINUM MOVIE PACK) HBO,CINEMAX, STARZ and SHOWTIME. Now of course this would have to be negotiated with the services(companies).
Just a thought and my 2 cents..

I think $29.95 would be a more realistic asking price.
I don't think Dish or the Networks will accept $5 each under normal everyday circumstances.
Because even under a promo at 50% off they still total $28.

Encore $3
Starz $5
Cinemax $5
Showtime $7.50
HBO $7.50

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
I have Movie Pack $5, Starz $5, and HBO for $7.50, so $17.50 fora boatload of premiums, and less than the HBO price alone from last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately Dish is actually charging more for the non HBO premiums. They use to have a 2, 3 or 4, premium packages at discount prices. As of Jan. 1, 2016 they have eliminated the multi premium packages. When your 6 month 1/2 price deal is over, you must renew each premium individually or hit the CSR lottery and get another 6 months of premiums at 1/2 price. I have changed my renewal option to off as a result of this hidden price increase..

Unfortunately Dish is actually charging more for the non HBO premiums. They use to have a 2, 3 or 4, premium packages at discount prices. As of Jan. 1, 2016 they have eliminated the multi premium packages. When your 6 month 1/2 price deal is over, you must renew each premium individually or hit the CSR lottery and get another 6 months of premiums at 1/2 price. I have changed my renewal option to off as a result of this hidden price increase..
How is this a hidden price increase? They say the deal is for 6 months. Once it goes to full price try to cancel and it pops up with the offer again. Nothing hidden and it gets you into your account at least once every 6 months which isnt a bad thing as you can make sure everything is tip top.

Reactions: Yespage
How is this a hidden price increase? They say the deal is for 6 months. Once it goes to full price try to cancel and it pops up with the offer again. Nothing hidden and it gets you into your account at least once every 6 months which isnt a bad thing as you can make sure everything is tip top.
And on the website, you have the opportunity to preemptively select to not continue once the sale price is over.

Here is the thing though, even at $28/month, I can buy 12 original series on blu-ray a year and OWN them, and rent more of them even cheaper from Netflix with better PQ and AQ. I know folks enjoy the premiums for other things but we are strictly watching their series.

This is kinda why the whole premium pricing thing is flawed to me nowadays. My penalty will be where I have to transition from watching them on HBO for example, until a year later, but for new series it isn't a big deal. Now that Billions is off I have cancelled at Showtime and once the final season of Banshee wraps up Max is gone too. I will skip this season of GoT and grab it as a blu-ray rental next March (Sucks, but I am less keen on giving away money to premiums when my standard bill runs $100/month).

Not sure ESPN would be ok with a pack like that. Doesn't their contract state something about it being available in all base packages(Have wondered how it is not in the WP and SP...) Or is it that it just cannot be in a sports package?

Not sure ESPN would be ok with a pack like that. Doesn't their contract state something about it being available in all base packages(Have wondered how it is not in the WP and SP...) Or is it that it just cannot be in a sports package?
It also wasn't in the Latino Dos pack either. The major reason probably why it was cheaper.

Reactions: pattykay
This is kinda why the whole premium pricing thing is flawed to me nowadays. My penalty will be where I have to transition from watching them on HBO for example, until a year later, but for new series it isn't a big deal. Now that Billions is off I have cancelled at Showtime and once the final season of Banshee wraps up Max is gone too. I will skip this season of GoT and grab it as a blu-ray rental next March (Sucks, but I am less keen on giving away money to premiums when my standard bill runs $100/month).
Unless you were going to buy GoT regardless, three months at half price is much cheaper than the blu-rays will be... and you'll have them available to stream whenever.

I'm not going to buy them, that was just an example and that is assuming you can get deals cheaper than $10. At $10/month for the HBO season on Dish, you have just about bought the Blu-ray set used and you OWN it. Also superior image and audio.

Ill be renting them on Netflix via blu-ray after the release because I already carry a 3 out ot a time blu-ray plan with Netflix. I could care less about streaming HBO, and I am bandwidth limited anyways so streaming time is saved for stuff like Daredevil on Netflix and Bosch on Amazon.

I don't feel the need to see things as soon as they come out anymore, so waiting for the blu-ray rental release won't phase me and I can keep my Dish bill around $100.

I'm not going to buy them, that was just an example and that is assuming you can get deals cheaper than $10. At $10/month for the HBO season on Dish, you have just about bought the Blu-ray set used and you OWN it. Also superior image and audio.
Could you please forward me the address of where you can buy used Blu-Ray sets of GoT for $10? As long as it is in on the continent, I think it'll be worth the cost to get there to buy up their blu-ray collection.

Ill be renting them on Netflix via blu-ray after the release because I already carry a 3 out ot a time blu-ray plan with Netflix. I could care less about streaming HBO, and I am bandwidth limited anyways so streaming time is saved for stuff like Daredevil on Netflix and Bosch on Amazon.
That works too.

I don't feel the need to see things as soon as they come out anymore, so waiting for the blu-ray rental release won't phase me and I can keep my Dish bill around $100.
With the bills growing towards $100, I see $107.50 and being able to watch HBO to be a far superior bargain than $100 without HBO. The math is pretty solid.

Idea: Offer this package as a "cord shaver" package for movie lovers who don't want sports channels or a bunch of "basic cable" channels. For $29.95/mo offer all 4 Premiums and Locals.
I like jegrant's idea about the movie package. I would also like to see a "sports-only" package with ESPN and the RSNs, or at least make Multi-Sport available as an add-on for the lower packages like Welcome Pack.

With the bills growing towards $100, I see $107.50 and being able to watch HBO to be a far superior bargain than $100 without HBO. The math is pretty solid.
Or you could call Dish's Loyalty Department and see if they can offer you HBO free for three months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)