Playon & AppleTV 4

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
Thought I'd start a new topic specific to this issue. It will somewhat apply to other DLNA client/server setups too.

In previous versions of the AppleTV the only way to use a DLNA server with the AppleTV was with software that supported AirPlay, and not all did and still don't. The AppleTV 4 can have an actual DLNA client and there are a few, all in pretty early stages of development. Here's a few I have and how well or not, they work.

MrMC - This was just released a day or two ago, it isn't freeware and costs $5.99. Currently it is the only one that will play live Playon streams reliably. It is basically XBMC/Kodi though a limited version. At the moment it doesn't allow for in-app add-ons as most, if not all of those, are Python scripts and that isn't allowed by Apple for whatever reason.

NAStify - This is another one that will play the streams, or at least some of them. It is kind of hit-or-miss though as some play, some don't with no apparent rhyme or reason as to why. I think this one cost $1.99. The developer is very active on the MacRumors forums and as very pro-active an responsive to user comments/suggestions/problems.

InFuse - no support for live streams at all.

LocalCast - supports live streams but is very twitchy, sometimes you have to back up a step and try over and over. Once they start playing though, things are fine. This is freeware at the moment.

All of the ones I've mentioned will play recordings made with Playon Plus and the older Playon/Playlater combo.

Currently I'm using MrMC because it is so solid in how it works, but I'm not overly fond of the XBMC UI and using the Apple Remote with it can be irritating as hell. Personally I prefer the cleaner/simpler UI of LocalCast and NAStify. But MrMC allows for a lot of adjustments to the software that the others just don't have.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

For info, the Kodi remote app for iPhone/iPad can control MrMC and I recommend it over trying to use the ATV4 remote with MrMC. MrMC is in active development and the current version appears to be rushed a bit just to get something out there. It does work just fine, it is just the ATV4 remote response is very poor at the moment.

If it ever gets add-ons the most likely scenario will be via side-loading. I've read a little on doing that and it seems most suitable for very geeky types! :)

NAStify's developer is doing lots of work on his app and has released many betas over the last few days. Currently just added HDHomeRun support to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)