Plays that altered/changed sports history

I consider this one "play"

10/12/89

Minnesota Vikings received

* RB Herschel Walker
* Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)
* San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)
* Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)
* Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)

Dallas Cowboys received

* LB Jesse Solomon
* LB David Howard
* CB Issiac Holt
* RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)
* DE Alex Stewart
* Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)
* Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)
* Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)
* Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)
* Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)
* Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)
* Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)
* Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)

DOH!

Yup, that ball that Reggie hit was crushed into the CF bleachers.

But IMO, it was Lou Piniella's play in RF (right in front of me) that saved the game for the Yankees.............

The Piniella play is mentioned around here as much as Dent's homerun. He lost the ball in the sun but picked it up at the last second, preventing someone from scoring from second base on a hit I think. Is that right?

Sandra

The Piniella play is mentioned around here as much as Dent's homerun. He lost the ball in the sun but picked it up at the last second, preventing someone from scoring from second base on a hit I think. Is that right?

Sandra

That is indeed correct, Sandra! :up

Rick Burleson was on first base, and Jerry Remy hit an absolute bullet to right that fell in front of Piniella.

Lou was blinded by the sun, but made an incredible play as he stuck his glove out. Not only did he stop Burleson from scoring the tying run (and prevented a very speedy Remy from getting at least a double), but he held him on second because the ball was hit so hard (this was very important, because there was one out and the next batter- Jim Rice- hit a deep sacrifice fly to RF).

And of course, Goose ended the game as he got Yaz to pop out to Graig Nettles. :(

And of course, Goose ended the game as he got Yaz to pop out to Graig Nettles. :(

There are two interesting "big time" stats about Yaz. One that in something like the 21 biggest games of his life, he hit about .500. But the other is, he made the last out of nearly every game.

Doesn't she host the show that follows Keith Olbermann's? I've never heard of any other Matteau. You can't put a hockey incident on the list because over 90% of the people in this country don't even know what hockey is. Who here ever played hockey in gymclass?

ya know what? Tough darts.
Hockey is a great sport. NHL teams play to much higher percentage of seats filled to seats available than the NBA. You don't see any NHL players waving guns at each other in locker rooms.
We mock what we do not understand.
No need to respond. I commented. I did not invite a debate. You have your opinion. I have mine. Done.

I consider this one "play"

10/12/89

Minnesota Vikings received

* RB Herschel Walker
* Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)
* San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)
* Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)
* Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)

Dallas Cowboys received

* LB Jesse Solomon
* LB David Howard
* CB Issiac Holt
* RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)
* DE Alex Stewart
* Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)
* Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)
* Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)
* Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)
* Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)
* Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)
* Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)
* Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)
That was penultimate idiotic "owner comes downstairs and fires the GM personally" trade in the history of professional sports.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)