PlayStation 3 Users Like to Watch Movie Discs

My computer and rokus do most of my streaming. My PS3 is used for Blu Rays and such, and it's hooked up to my overpowered and sadly underused stereo receiver system.

I do watch a few discs but very few.Whether its a local stream or web stream,I am a streamer 95% of the time.

like disks better, streaming is okay but I prefer HD audio codecs and the best picture possible, especially when throwing the picture out on a projector.

I use my PS3 for watching discs. I've watched a very few things from Amazon on it, and it's never had a game put in it. I've got an early model with the hardware compatibility for PS2 games. Maybe I'll look up what it's worth. Hmmm........

That's interesting, because last December it was announced that the PS3 is the most popular TV-connected device for streaming Netflix. And not just based on a random survey, but on actual recorded data. As mentioned in this IGN article , the PS3 is also the primary development platform for new features like 1080p, Dolby Digital Plus, and alternate audio, including subtitles, which is why I almost never use my Roku anymore for NF streaming. I do use my PS3 for blu-rays from Netflix, so the number of hours spent between streaming and discs is about the same for me depending on the time of year (TV seasons).

Yeah, that 3d add was done some time ago.

Back in the day when BluRay and HDDVD were battling it out, the PS3 was the very best BluRay player. It still is an excellent one. My only gripe with it is the damned fan goes into 'hover' mode very loudly way more than I like.

One big secret about XBOX 360 streaming us that the highest rate it could handle was 720p. It couldn't do interlaced streaming or rates higher then 720.

The PS3 won for streaming quality hands down. I just wish they would have more channel deals in place like the Xbox does.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yeah, that 3d add was done some time ago.

Back in the day when BluRay and HDDVD were battling it out, the PS3 was the very best BluRay player. It still is an excellent one. My only gripe with it is the damned fan goes into 'hover' mode very loudly way more than I like.

I take it you have an older "phat" PS3. The slims are much quieter, making it almost a blessing when my original phat YLOD'd.

My slim is definitely more quiet than our Dish dvrs,when the fans are blasting.

Yeah, I have the phat PS3, but my son has a new slim one and says his is a bit noisy too though not as much as mine.

BTW, never heard any noise from my 2 Hoppers, nor do I remember my 722k making noises either.

Yeah, I have the phat PS3, but my son has a new slim one and says his is a bit noisy too though not as much as mine.

BTW, never heard any noise from my 2 Hoppers, nor do I remember my 722k making noises either.

You never heard the 3 am update?Or when they reboot?

My PS3 Slim (from a couple years ago, not the newest one) isn't bad for fan noise. Between the fan and disk drive my launch day original 20GB model 360 sounds like a jet taking off though. Some of my friends do have the 360 slims and theirs are as quiet as my PS3. I think the original models of both systems just give off a ton of heat and fan noise but they both fixed it in their redesigns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)