Please add Significantly Viewed Stations Now

jscud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Central NH
Starting yet another SV thread for you all to add your own SV wishes. Dish Network does monitor this forum. It was suggested to me by someone connected with Dish that the more voices heard, the more likely those in control of local programming will take notice.

It has been a year since the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act of 2010, sponsored by Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy, passed both the House and the Senate. On May 27 it will be the first anniversary of President Obamas' signing it into law. Among other things, this law opened the door once again for Dish Network to supply significantly viewed stations.

Last September Dish Network subscribers in the Vermont counties of Bennington and Windham had several significantly viewed Vermont stations added to the list of stations they could receive. AFAIK there have been no other SV's action anywhere else.

I do know there are many people including myself who would like to see Dish Network add Significantly Viewed stations. In my area it is WMUR, NH's ONLY station to deliver NH news, weather, sports and local programming. It is provided as a SV statewide by cable and Directv, but not Dish.

What station would you want to see added as a significantly viewed in your area? List your channel(s) and make your voice heard.

John

Sorry, but I think most of us would prefer they use their bandwidth for other things. Especially those of us with OTA antennas and no fee for locals.

I re-read your post, and I agree with you. If you are in a small state, you should get those channels if you want to, just as I do in Ct. The problem is, I am going to guess those that are in the Boston DMA want those channels instead. I would.

Last edited:
I live in rural upstate NY and recently switched from Dish to cable (because of SNY). We live in a valley and get nothing watchable on OTA antenna. With Dish we were in the Binghamton DMA, and got the Binghamton ABC, CBS, Fox & PBS, and the Elmira NBC since Binghamton doesn't have an NBC (and the Elmira NBC didn't carry the full line up from Elmira - there was some blackout and the local news was weird).

Anyway, with cable I get all of those (and normal NBC from Elmira), the CW & My networks, ABC from Elmira, and CBS & PBS from Scranton. Because I am located between Binghamton & Elmira and do business both ways, Elmira news is sometimes important to us.

I guess what I have failed to understand with Dish is why, in the same DMA, the cable offering is so much more complete. True, I don't need 2 ABCs and 2 CBSs, but I now can watch Jeopardy at either 7 or 7:30.

meh dish says they have 100% of the local markets covered, but thats an outright lie
so until they do why should they think about sv stations?

what about my PBS Locals in HD WYIN Channel 56,WTTW Channel 11 and WYCC Channel 20 out of chicago

Scott I thought they cleared that up and now it was legal for them to carry them again? At least that was the case for WMUR. They did it for WCAX in the 2 southern counties of VT. All we want is what we had back in 2006 and that is WMUR. It's our only source for NH news in the state.

Again they are not legally allowed to provide SV channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)