Please Correct me if I'm wrong

I still stand by my previous numbers. That detailed breakdown by JoeSp was nice - except that I can beat those prices at quantity 1, let alone 100,000 or 1M.

And believe me, these are NOT the latest and greatest pieces of hardware - except for the MPEG4 chip. For example, the "flagship" 921 was released with a 800MHz CPU, and no more than 256MB of RAM. This was 2 years ago, when "standard" was twice that.

As for software, cost per unit is pretty low - now that it's actually "mature" at least as far as development costs are concerned. the 522/625/942 took care of that.

Are you saying that although D* has published that it costs them about $550 to build a DVR, you're going to insist E* can do it for $300?

navychop said:
Are you saying that although D* has published that it costs them about $550 to build a DVR, you're going to insist E* can do it for $300?
Yes.

I've seen inflated production cost numbers many times before in this business. No reason for it to have changed now.

One example was the early IBM PCs. Out in Silicon Valley, we were bulding equivalents from retail parts for a fraction of what IBM claimed their costs were.