Please everyone call Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It is a little more complicated than what I said but......yes...they do get paid for the ads. And you pay to watch them! Sometimes you even pay to watch ads in HD.

Joe

I personally hate the DirecTv commercials where they tell us about a service/product and then say "compliments of DirecTv". Gimme a break. Do they expect us to call them and thank them?

I like the one where the son inherits his fathers DIRECTV system. Too bad that can't actually happen since it is a leased box and can't be transferred.

I don't think he "inherits" the system, he "inherits" the collection of movies.

It is a little more complicated than what I said but......yes...they do get paid for the ads. And you pay to watch them! Sometimes you even pay to watch ads in HD.

Joe

It can be spun many many ways. Fact is, most of the ads, especially the ones for the mega-corps are simply a matter of tax write-offs. Either pay Uncle Sam or get rid of the freaking money. They dont bother me, go through them but I do find it confusing that D* does so many that are just on D*.

It can be spun many many ways. Fact is, most of the ads, especially the ones for the mega-corps are simply a matter of tax write-offs. Either pay Uncle Sam or get rid of the freaking money. They dont bother me, go through them but I do find it confusing that D* does so many that are just on D*.

True too!

Of all the commentary on TV ads it is the effect on children (and child-like political leaders)that gets my attention. At a time in their development when attention span is being nurtured children are exposed to a program on a given subject. Soon after they are exposed to a loud and often irrelevant commercial.

No TV for children under sixty makes sense.

Joe

I had always wondered too why companies like Directv, Dish, and cable companies advertise themselves on their own system.. Basically when Directv airs one of their own ads, they are filling up an unsold "local" ad space. There are slots programmed into every commercial channel for "local" ads, which are designed for your local cable or fiber provider to sell time to local businesses. If the slot goes unsold, they have to fill it with something, so they run a commercial for their own services (ever see a billboard that says "You could be seeing your ad here!"? Same idea.). Directv does the same thing with these slots, except they only sell to national companies. But they wind up with empty slots just like everyone else. If they don't run one of their ads, you get to watch 30 seconds of dead air, which is arguably worse than any commercial because dead air always seems longer.

And the Mayhem commercials are awesome! :D

A reason the providers advertise on there own service is because people who don't have that service will see it when they go over to a place that has that provider.

For example, you have D* your family member has E*. Your family member comes over to watch a baseball game. You both sit down and turn on D*. During a commercial D* advertises MLB Extra Inning. Your family member might become interested in switching to D* because he is a baseball fan, and he would like to follow his favorite team. He can't do that with E*. The EI commercial will state how someone can follow their team all season long. It will also give the introduction promo price for a new subscriber. And you tell them if he switches over, you can do the $100 refer a friend if he does switch.

D* gets a new subscriber, both of you get the $100 refer a friend credit, just because he went over to your place to watch a ball game. That is why the providers advertise on their own service.

The Aflac commercials with the duck are entertaining.:popcorn

Last edited:
A reason the providers advertise on there own service is because people who don't have that service will see it when they go over to a place that has that provider.

For example, you have D* your family member has E*. Your family member comes over to watch a baseball game. You both sit down and turn on D*. During a commercial D* advertises MLB Extra Inning. Your family member might become interested in switching to D* because he is a baseball fan, and he would like to follow his favorite team. He can't do that with E*. The EI commercial will state how someone can follow their team all season long. It will also give the introduction promo price for a new subscriber. And you tell them if he switches over, you can do the $100 refer a friend if he does switch.

D* gets a new subscriber, both of you get the $100 refer a friend credit, just because he went over to your place to watch a ball game. That is why the providers advertise on their own service.

The Aflac commercials with the duck are entertaining.:popcorn

Exactly :up

Speaking of commercials does anyone know when the CLEO awards be shown. I think it is the CLEO that is equivalent to the oscars?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)