please help advise me how to wire a new home for satellite

If you used an automated crimping machine to make jumpers destined for indoor, low-stress (tension, bending, twisting) use, you'd probably be confident that it was sufficient to the task.

I seldom use the cabling included with my electronics gear even though it may be good enough.

time to dump those non 3 gig barrel connectors

Seriously they did not have 3 Gig barrels in a Levitron insert when I built the house.

I actually bought barrels to switch them all out, but they used a drop of glue to install them, so I was like screw it and just went with the non 3ghz barrels.

I had a hard enough time finding the rest of the parts and the brass wall plates to match the rest of the house

Please tell me, how did you get the cables through the pipe without the fish tape? And the answer is, You didn't!
How little do you know?
Because many of the cables bunch up in the pipe if you don't use the fish tape. How do I know? Because I tested it along a long run with elbows in the pipe first! It is called, PLANNING AHEAD!
Planning ahead involves running a series of strings or pull-tapes through the conduit. With each cable you pull through to a destination, you pull a new string along with it. You learn that kind of stuff when your runs start exceeding the length of a fish tape. The technique can easily be applied to even the shortest of runs and it can be pre-routed through arbitrary junctions in the conduit. If you're careful, you can even establish new branches by sectioning the conduit and attaching to a string from another branch.

I have a run at work that is 790' long at I've put two 25 pair CAT3 cables and a duplex fiber in it. The conduit was originally buried with a single length of synthetic twine inside. It is strung for another run when I upgrade the fiber for Gigabit networking (I plan on leaving the old fiber in place). In my experience, pulling a string works a lot easier than pushing a fish tape.

How little do you know?
Planning ahead involves running a series of strings or pull-tapes through the conduit. With each cable you pull through to a destination, you pull a new string along with it. You learn that kind of stuff when your runs start exceeding the length of a fish tape. The technique can easily be applied to even the shortest of runs and it can be pre-routed through arbitrary junctions in the conduit. If you're careful, you can even establish new branches by sectioning the conduit and attaching to a string from another branch.

I have a run at work that is 790' long at I've put two 25 pair CAT3 cables and a duplex fiber in it. The conduit was originally buried with a single length of synthetic twine inside. It is strung for another run when I upgrade the fiber for Gigabit networking (I plan on leaving the old fiber in place). In my experience, pulling a string works a lot easier than pushing a fish tape.

So, you run strings through. Wait.. fish.. wait.. strings... wait fish.. wait.. strings... Like I posted as I deleted my posts.. This conversation is not worth the effort to type any longer. I won't be posting in response to you again. ROLLS EYES

Reactions: JSheridan
Yep! 500' + conduit had a pull string run in a seconds. Nylon tie a lightweight plastic disposable grocery bag on the end of the string. Place the plastic bag into one end of the conduit. Attach the shop vacuum on the other end of the run, power on and within a few seconds, the plastic bag is in the collection tub with the pull string attached.

Doesn't get easier than that!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yep! 500' + conduit had a pull string run in a seconds. Nylon tie a lightweight plastic disposable grocery bag on the end of the string. Place the plastic bag into one end of the conduit. Attach the shop vacuum on the other end of the run, power on and within a few seconds, the plastic bag is in the collection tub with the pull string attached.

Doesn't get easier than that!
Used to do that all the time. :)

Hi. Original poster here. I want to thank everyone for the advice, and especially thank Claude for his great assistance in choosing the cable. I ran everything yesterday, and the carpenter was right behind my putting up poly in prep for sheetrock. So I am good, this thread is complete, and we are all happy again. No additional input is needed.

Just something I observed when I watched when 3 different Telcos run fiber next to our railroad tracks before I retired. They would first run conduit which they called inner duct. They would then put in a plug which I believe they called a pig. They would use a air compressor and blow the pig thru. Tie the fiber on and then pull it thru.

Just a little info on how telcos do it.

Just something I observed when I watched when 3 different Telcos run fiber next to our railroad tracks before I retired. They would first run conduit which they called inner duct. They would then put in a plug which I believe they called a pig. They would use a air compressor and blow the pig thru. Tie the fiber on and then pull it thru.
Blowing (or sucking) something through starts being a lot less effective as you get more, larger or stiffer cables. The "stickiness" of the jacket can sometimes cause the cabling to wind around stiff cables (like coax) that won't lay flat. If you have a string or a mule tape, there's typically less winding.

Just a little info on how telcos do it.

I think they call it a pig because it sounds like a pig squeeling when they put it through

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts