please help advise me how to wire a new home for satellite

Another thing to consider is your outlets in the bathrooms. Minimum 4 outlets and if possible on each side of the vanity. You will be surprised what women can plug in.

Also adding floor heat to the bathroom floor is also a bonus.

And since we are talking about electrical. At a minimum a 200 amp panel and make sure there are extra spaces on the panel.

I made the mistake and I got 2 sub panels in the basement where for a few dollars more Could have gotten a box with 10 more spaces

With the ever increasing costs of equipment fees the ability to mirror tvs with cat 6 to hdmi converters would be important to me.
I think the days of depending on distribution systems of are numbered. With the advent of wide HDCP implementation, it is becoming more and more problematic and in many cases, impractical. Because of the the HDCP difficulties, I think media closets/racks are highly overrated.

If one does wish to try it, remember that most wired HDMI extenders require dedicated network cabling (often two cables).

To be pretty much future proof, I'd run two coax (one dedicated to FM and OTA) and three CAT6 in a home run configuration to each likely TV wall. Running multiple network cables cuts down on the number of switches if you're not using them for extenders.

Another thing to consider is your outlets in the bathrooms. Minimum 4 outlets and if possible on each side of the vanity. You will be surprised what women can plug in.
If you're going to play that game, there needs to be multiple circuits. Some of the hair irons draw a lot of juice; not every bathroom appliance eats like a toothbrush charger.

....To be pretty much future proof, I'd run two coax (one dedicated to FM and OTA) and three CAT6 in a home run configuration to each likely TV wall. Running multiple network cables cuts down on the number of switches if you're not using them for extenders.
Why a separate coax for FM? I use the same coax and same antenna for both. FM frequencies are between TV channels 6 & 7.

Unless you are distant from the FM stations and want to use a directional antenna separate from the OTA TV, I don't see any benefit.

Or did you mean one coax for FM & OTA and one for sat?

I got three coax's in my Family Room. Dish,OTA TV and FM. When I built this room 3 years ago, I over wired and it was to my advantage.

I was having trouble with pixelation on my OTA TV Antenna. I have a pre amp. I found enabling the FM Trap in my pre amp and using a cheapo FM S Type antenna on my extra coax fixed my problem.

I got three coax's in my Family Room. Dish,OTA TV and FM. When I built this room 3 years ago, I over wired and it was to my advantage.

I was having trouble with pixelation on my OTA TV Antenna. I have a pre amp. I found enabling the FM Trap in my pre amp and using a cheapo FM S Type antenna on my extra coax fixed my problem.
I have four coax to three main areas, Great Room, Master Bedroom, and Kitchen. One each coax for Dish satellite, OTA antenna, RF Modulator out, and RF Modulator in. Also have Cat5 and phone line going to same locations.

Reactions: Skytrooper

I have four coax to three main areas, Great Room, Master Bedroom, and Kitchen. One each coax for Dish satellite, OTA antenna, RF Modulator out, and RF Modulator in. Also have Cat5 and phone line going to same locations.

I got 5 coax in my living room. The rest of the house has 4 coax.

Hell, I even got 2 coax to each bathroom with 2 cat5.

Sounds like we're measuring here!!! :D

For the new house it is better to have as many cables installed as possible. I just took a picture of cable run to my balcony, because of them I can not fully shut the door. Apartment is not mine, so can not make holes in the wall. :coco IMG_20151228_000022 (Custom).jpg

So many things in this post I wish I'd known before I had my house built. I was really just starting to get into this stuff beyond the basics at the time. I did a few extra things just for surround speakers, but nothing to the level being discussed in here for coax/ethernet.

This thread is so valuable it should almost be a sticky. So many people building homes should read this before they start. For some reason electricians never seem to tell customers the right thing, they just do the minimum. Always run more cable then you think you need.

My new room is 2 X 6 construction. 15 X 21. Very good for insulation and a lot of room for my 4 in wall surround speakers and the cabling behind my AV stuff.

The AC wiring is kept far from the cat, phone, speaker and RG-6 cabling. Three 20a circuits. AV stuff on one and the two subwoofers are also on there own circuit along with other room receptacles and lighting.

6 - cat5e
3 - phone
3 - RG-6
16 - speaker bananas
And a lot of AC receptacles.

Also on the adjacent patio
2 - RG-6
1 - cat 5e
2 - outdoor speakers

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts