Please Help Me Get Away From Dish Network!

Pixelation

Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Hello,

I called Dish Network yesterday to try and downgrade to just locals because no one in my house ever has time to watch TV anymore. The nice Indian fellow on the other end tried in earnest to do this for me but after multiple attempts he said that the system will not allow him to do this. He said that it is Dish Network policy that I could not go down to just locals because THEY own the receivers.

My question is, does anyone know what the correct procedure is for sending these receivers back? What address do I mail them to? What all needs to be included (cords, remotes, etc.)? He also mentioned something about another fee to replace the receivers (like $98 I believe).

How do I get out of this mess?

Just go ahead and cancel and they will send you boxes to send the receivers back. I usually just send the receiver and the remotes but since you're cancelling your account you will need to send any LNBs and switches they might have installed.

Thanks, RandallA. It was my impression that Dish wants you to leave the satellite so if new people move in it will encourage them to get Dish. When I call to cancel should I ask to be sure?

What a bunch of crap. Come over to Direct TV where it is the customer that makes the decisions on what happens.

Since he leases he would need at least Family Pack. If he owned the receveirs he can get just locals (I did that for 2 years)

Lets see DirecTv offer that :)

I also did that for a period of time. DirecTv will not allow you to do the same. But the key here is owning the equipment versus leasing the equipment. In leasing the equipment, there is an added cost that requires to get the basic package for both satellite companies.

VIPERS-PIT said:
What a bunch of crap. Come over to Direct TV where it is the customer that makes the decisions on what happens.
Wake up and smell the roses. Directv is now leasing the equipment and their minimum package is the Para Todos package at $29.99:)

How come you didnt ask the nice indian fellow about cancelling when you had him on the phone? Seems like a waste of time to just say your good byes and then get on here to ask us what you should have asked Najir.

Claude Greiner said:
What do you expect, they gave you the equipment for Free they would atleast like you to maintain a minimum programming package like DISH Family.

They didn't give me the receivers for free. They charge a $5 lease fee per box, Einstein.

Van said:
How come you didnt ask the nice indian fellow about cancelling when you had him on the phone? Seems like a waste of time to just say your good byes and then get on here to ask us what you should have asked Najir.

Because as nice as he was, Najir wasn't "verdy" adept at explaining this procedure, nevermind waiting forever on hold just to be conveniently hung up on.

Pixelation said:
They didn't give me the receivers for free. They charge a $5 lease fee per box, Einstein.

Pixel,

Yes, they did GIVE YOU the receivers for Free. Dish even didn't charge you anything for the installation.

All Dish Subscribers pay an additional $5.00 for each secondary receiver whether Leased or NOT.

Those Boxes you are paying a Lease fee for cost Dish WAY MORE than the $5.00 Lease fee. Even at that Lease fee, it would take Dish about 5 years of lease payments before Dish covers the capital expense for installing that receiver.

John

Pixelation said:

That's just it, it's leased. If you own edit you might have a mirroing fee, but that isn't a leased fee. You don't own the equipment if you pay a leasing fee.

What part of the word "lease" don't you understand?

Last edited:
I'd suggest doing a downgrade to the new Family Package with someone at the technical support extension, rather than the regular customer service extension (tech support people are more knowledgable, have better communication skills and can do just about anything you need done to your account).

Alternatively, you can ask tech suppport to cancel your service altogether and be assured that the process will be completed properly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)