Please help me out, new to Dish need a deal and information, frustrated...

dominogold

Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
Novi, MI
Greetings everyone. I'm in need of your advice.

Overview:
I have a Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P EDTV plasma mounted above the fireplace. This TV has an ATSC/QAM tuner and NTSC tuner I believe but I don't know much about that and how it works. I did the tests for months on end and at the distance I am sitting back I could not tell a difference between HDTV and EDTV, so I went with the ED. My stereo is an Onkyo TX-SR602 setup with Paradigm speakers. Everything is running through the receiver then behind the walls via component cables to the TV. I have 3 other regular TVs in the house, but we really only use 1 of those and even then not that much.

Background:
I used to have Comcast and then we moved and built a house. I ran 3 RG6 and 2 CAT5e to both the plasma location and the master bedroom during construction. We have Brighthouse Networks in my latest home (no other cable companies around), and they just hiked my cable bill to $96 a month coming off of a 12 month promotion, without the movie channels it's $68 a month! To me this is way too expensive. I've been a cable customer my whole life, so the whole dish thing is new and complicated to me. I've read a lot about Dish it but I really need some good straight advice and get confused about all the equipment and setup and tuners, etc.

What I Want:
So it looks like it's time to switch to Dish at that price. Could someone tell me exactly what I need to know, and what the best deal is for HDTV with Dish right now? We are on a budget, so I don't want to have to buy a ton of equipment unless it's a steal of a price. I want HDTV channels in the plasma room (locals included), and could live with either just a regular antenna or feed whatever channel is on the plasma to the other TV.... or go with the extra receiver in the other room but it bugs me that it costs $5 more just to use an extra receiver.

Questions:
1. What's the best deal out there for me right now?
2. So I've heard I need an OTA antenna for HD locals, but how exactly does that work with my built in tuner in my TV .... or do I plug that into the Dish receiver box and run that to the TV through the component cables also? I may need to figure out how to fish a wire up to the TV.
3. Is Voom worth it, and would I need to spend an extra $100 for it (something I saw on the Dish network website mentioned that it "might be" required)?
4. If you cancel Dish isn't there a ton of fees they apply to your final bill?
5. Do indoor antennas work well for picking up HD signals? My new subdivision does not allow exterior antennas, but I did have an outlet placed in the attic along with a PVC pipe to the basement just in case I could put something in the attic. I have this model antenna already --> http://www.buy.com/prod/TERK_HDTVi_Indoor_UHF_VHF_HDTV_Antenna/q/loc/111/90130391.html which I've never used. Does this only work in line of site or could I just stick this in the attic?
6. I'm very confused about the DVR options with Dish, does the "free DVR" offers replace the capability to have HD? The website will only let you have DVR if you have it on 2 TVs? Is there any way to get HD DVR without spending $250-300 on equipment?

Thanks everyone. I am in Novi, Michigan, zip 48375.

Last edited:
By the way here is the report from antenna web (digitals only)

* yellow - uhf WWJ-DT 62.1 CBS DETROIT MI 102° 15.7 44
* yellow - uhf WTVS-DT 56.1 PBS DETROIT MI 102° 15.7 43
* yellow - uhf WXYZ-DT 7.1 ABC DETROIT MI 96° 11.7 41
* yellow - uhf WKBD-DT 50.1 UPN DETROIT MI 90° 8.6 14
* yellow - uhf WDWB-DT 20.1 WB DETROIT MI 102° 15.7 21
* yellow - uhf WJBK-DT 2.1 FOX DETROIT MI 99° 13.6 58
* yellow - uhf WDIV-DT 4.1 NBC DETROIT MI 92° 14.0 45
* red - uhf WADL-DT 39.1 IND MOUNT CLEMENS MI 85° 30.8 39
* violet - uhf WTOL-DT 11.1 CBS TOLEDO OH 181° 55.2 17
* violet - uhf WPXD-DT 31.1 i ANN ARBOR MI TBD 264° 30.8 33
* violet - uhf WNWO-DT 24.1 NBC Toledo OH 180° 55.7 49
* violet - uhf WFUM-DT 28.1 PBS FLINT MI 8° 29.7 52

Last edited:
Sorry i deleted My post so I could start over You're to fast.
Q#2 HD locals, @ this moment you will need an antenna into your TV or dish receiver
Q#3 if it is worth it is up to debate. It is only $5/month but it is all re-run programing
Q#4 if you sign up it is usually for 2/yr commitment I believe. I do not Know what the cancellation period is or the penalty. Someone will chime in.
Q#5 indoor antennas can work
I live in Seattle area, 25 mi from towers, indoor antenna ( Zenith SS) worked great for me until I replaced my roof with a metal roof, then I had to install an outside antenna.
Check the Local HDTV Info and Reception forum @ AVS & find the thread for your area to see what other people near you are having success with receiving OTA HD
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45
Q# Right at this moment the only HD DVR available is the 942 which is $250 down to lease & $639 to purchase
It has 2 dish tuners & 1 OTA tuner

Last edited:
dominogold said:
Greetings everyone. I'm in need of your advice.
Overview:
I have a Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P EDTV plasma mounted above the fireplace. This TV has an ATSC/QAM tuner and NTSC tuner I believe but I don't know much about that and how it works. I did the tests for months on end and at the distance I am sitting back I could not tell a difference between HDTV and EDTV, so I went with the ED. My stereo is an Onkyo TX-SR602 setup with Paradigm speakers. Everything is running through the receiver then behind the walls via component cables to the TV. I have 3 other regular TVs in the house, but we really only use 1 of those and even then not that much.
Background:
I used to have Comcast and then we moved and built a house. I ran 3 RG6 and 2 CAT5e to both the plasma location and the master bedroom during construction. We have Brighthouse Networks in my latest home (no other cable companies around), and they just hiked my cable bill to $96 a month coming off of a 12 month promotion, without the movie channels it's $68 a month! To me this is way too expensive. I've been a cable customer my whole life, so the whole dish thing is new and complicated to me. I've read a lot about Dish it but I really need some good straight advice and get confused about all the equipment and setup and tuners, etc.
What I Want:
So it looks like it's time to switch to Dish at that price. Could someone tell me exactly what I need to know, and what the best deal is for HDTV with Dish right now? We are on a budget, so I don't want to have to buy a ton of equipment unless it's a steal of a price. I want HDTV channels in the plasma room (locals included), and could live with either just a regular antenna or feed whatever channel is on the plasma to the other TV.... or go with the extra receiver in the other room but it bugs me that it costs $5 more just to use an extra receiver.
Questions:
1. What's the best deal out there for me right now?
2. So I've heard I need an OTA antenna for HD locals, but how exactly does that work with my built in tuner in my TV .... or do I plug that into the Dish receiver box and run that to the TV through the component cables also? I may need to figure out how to fish a wire up to the TV.
3. Is Voom worth it, and would I need to spend an extra $100 for it (something I saw on the Dish network website mentioned that it "might be" required)?
4. If you cancel Dish isn't there a ton of fees they apply to your final bill?
5. Do indoor antennas work well for picking up HD signals? My new subdivision does not allow exterior antennas, but I did have an outlet placed in the attic along with a PVC pipe to the basement just in case I could put something in the attic. I have this model antenna already --> http://www.buy.com/prod/TERK_HDTVi_Indoor_UHF_VHF_HDTV_Antenna/q/loc/111/90130391.html which I've never used. Does this only work in line of site or could I just stick this in the attic?
6. I'm very confused about the DVR options with Dish, does the "free DVR" offers replace the capability to have HD? The website will only let you have DVR if you have it on 2 TVs? Is there any way to get HD DVR without spending $250-300 on equipment?
Thanks everyone. I am in Novi, Michigan, zip 48375.

1. For off air in the attic, get a good antenna that is cut for your area.
2 use off air for locals you have to pay extra with dish and direct for locals
3 get direct very poor service with dish if you have billing problens---and you will have problems from time to time.
4 cost of service is about the same with both.
5 If you are confused now about dish wait till you get one and try to get service.
6 yes, if you don't keep service, BIG CHARGE unless you get NO committment. You have to send back all equipment. If you don't sent remote $75 dish $75 you get the picture. Want more info email me direct tincan39@aol.com

"5 If you are confused now about dish wait till you get one and try to get service."

Well, that doesn't sound very encouraging!

I did just hook up an antenna direct to the TV. It did pick up most of the channels, NBC was a little fuzzy but others worked great. I have the antenna in front of a window so I hope it doesn't need line of sight.

Competition is good!! The dish companys E* and D* both offer similar kinds of services. But generaly they will supply the equipment at little or no charge provided you make a commitment generaly 12-18 months. this will include installation of the dish and wires needed to receive signal. Both D* E* dish will point to the south west and will need a clear line of sight to a point in the sky which is dependent on where you live. When you have it installed make suggestions and have a rough idea where you will need the dish to be placed to make it simple for the installer.

HD will most likely need a OTA for locals but both have some programing.

As for my self, had cable was very expensive compared to a dish for the same programing. E* would never work at my house (cant see 119 or 110 because of trees and a mountain) so I have D* and I have lost the programing less and pay less and the picture is better.

You are the best person to choose ,do your home work, look at the choices and determine what is best for you.

Domino, look in the phone book and call some local retailers, either Dish or Direct. Ask them to come to your house for a site survey or stop in their shop. If you really need Hi-Def but are on a budet you may want to look at the 811 and a 322 for the other T.V's No commitment with Dish if you don't want to and you get 6 months free H-Def after that it's $9.95 extra a month. First month of programming is free along with HBO, Cinemax and Showtime free for the first three months. If you look at the AT120 and Hi-def with a 322 you will be looking at around $58.00 a month.

Dominogold, Im local to you and work for dishnetwork as an installer, send me a pm and I would be willing to drop by and do a site survey on your home and tell you what all you would need for an installation of either dish or direct ( direct will be to the best of my ability ). I can also get you set up with a good promotion through dish if you do decide to go through them, so if your interested send me a PM and we will make a time to meet.

OR - go directly to a local retailer. dishstore.net is based in Detroit. Claude is a good guy. Tell him that SimpleSimon at the DishRetailer site told you to call. Hit the link at the top of the page!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts