Please help with a little info.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

crab

Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
WV
Hi guys. I'm currently trying to get my system upgraded to MRV HDDVR and have a couple questions. First off, I know I have no LOS to the 119 satellite. I already have dtv service and had to sign a waiver for no locals/no 119 access. No problems there. Recently an installer came to my place, told me I have no los to 119, and said it was impossible to install anything for me. I understand, from what he told me, that the receiver(s) would not activate unless all five satellites were receiving acceptable signal levels. My first question is: Is it possible to install the SWM 5 lnb, and have the activation still take place with no 119? Can it be overridden to allow activation? I also know that my other option is to have a SWM 3 system installed, which only looks at 101, 99, and 103 satellites. This is the system my next door neighbor had installed about a year ago. The installer noticed my neighbors dish and said he doubted he would be allowed to install that for me. Shouldn't I be able to sign a waiver like I did six years ago and get this stuff installed? My understanding from researching this site is that the reason my market doesn't "allow" the SWM 3 is because my SD locals are beamed from the 119 satellite. BUT....since I'm already waived off of that satellite anyway, why can't they install it for me? I wouldn't mind signing the waiver again, but he said they would only grant waivers for weak signal; not no signal, and only for "adverse weather", but not LOS issues. I understand fully (I think) the implications of no 119. 1. No SD locals. (I would still get HD locals right?) and 2. Program guide problems. I also know how to work around the program guide problems by keeping tuner on on a 101 satellite channel at night, or scheduling it to record from the 101 sat every night.

My next, and perhaps biggest obstacle is trying to find out what local company is doing the install so I can call and make sure that the proper equipment (swm3) is brought on my second opinion appointment. When I call DTV's 800# they say they have no way of knowing what local agency is doing my install and that I'm just SOL as far as that goes. I did do a search for local retailers and came up with 3 numbers to try, but all 3 said they did not have my appointment. I'm located in Chapmanville, WV and the installer that came said his office was in Charleston, WV. Does anybody know others places I can try calling to see if they have my appointment? Or know a way I can find out? Please help.

Here's the 3 I've already called.
7 STAR COMMUNICATIONS, LLC
4305 SALINES DRIVE
CHARLESTON, WV 25306
(304) 421-1655

DIGITAL CONCEPTS
4008 KIRBY ST
CHARLESTON, WV 25309
(304) 415-3396

SOUTH CHARLESTON ELECTRIC
1011 F ST
SOUTH CHARLESTON, WV 25303
(304) 744-3407

What DMA are you in, where would your locals come from.

Are you using HD TV's, if so, you may be able to get your HD locals without the 119 sat, won't know till we know what market your in.

If you can get the locals in HD they would be on the 99 or 103 Sat and they could but in a SL3 dish for you like the neighbors.

IF he's in the Charleston DMA his locals are on the 99 sat, if elsewhere, I don't know because I don't know the DMA.

If it is Charleston he can use the SL3 and solve his issues.

Charleston-Huntington DMA. I know my sd locals are on 119 but that's fine with me, I already don't get them. I know the SL3 would solve my problem, but the installer said he wasn't allowed to install it for me....even though my next door neighbor has one.

since you are already a sub; get the dish and perform a self-install. it really is not that hard with just a compass and basic knowledge. if you are not 110% sure how, find someone that can help that is not bound by a DirecTV contractor's agreement.

I'm out of range for OTA, but I've lived this long without locals so even if for some reason I couldn't get at least the HD locals I could still live with that......if I can just get the guy to install for me. Right now I have no HD programming, no on demand, no MRV. I'm willing to pay the increase just for these features, but the installer is saying he can't do it.

Charleston-Huntington DMA. I know my sd locals are on 119 but that's fine with me, I already don't get them. I know the SL3 would solve my problem, but the installer said he wasn't allowed to install it for me....even though my next door neighbor has one.

I know I could do that if it came down to it....but right now I'll get all the equipment for no charge. Don't really want to pay for what should be free.

What DMA are you in, where would your locals come from.

Are you using HD TV's, if so, you may be able to get your HD locals without the 119 sat, won't know till we know what market your in.

If you can get the locals in HD they would be on the 99 or 103 Sat and they could but in a SL3 dish for you like the neighbors.

They said it was up to the local contractor company to grant or deny a waiver. They also said there's no way for them to know what that company will be, or any way for me to find out except for asking them when the call or show up.

I'm out of range for OTA, but I've lived this long without locals so even if for some reason I couldn't get at least the HD locals I could still live with that......if I can just get the guy to install for me. Right now I have no HD programming, no on demand, no MRV. I'm willing to pay the increase just for these features, but the installer is saying he can't do it.

What did DIRECTV say to you? Did they say that they have to go along with the local installer policy?

They said it was up to the local contractor company to grant or deny a waiver. They also said there's no way for them to know what that company will be, or any way for me to find out except for asking them when the call or show up.

See post #12

Call them back again, if you get the HD programming thery should have no problem with setting you up.

You would have to order the HD package and that should trigger the SL3 being OK.

Waivers have nothing to do with it.

Like I mentioned in the past few posts, just call D* and tell them that you would like to upgrade to HD service, they will look at what you have already in place, if you have a HD recvr and come out and put in your SL3 for you because the SL3 will get your locals for you on the 99 Sat and you won't have to worry about the 119 Sat anymore.

You WILL lose a few Music channels that are on the 119 though.

As for the Company that does the install, YES they definitely KNOW, they just are not telling you, they are the onmes that make the appointment (verify).

Call them back again, if you get the HD programming thery should have no problem with setting you up.
The only number I know to call is the DTV toll free number and they're saying everything is up to the local contractor's company.

You would have to order the HD package and that should trigger the SL3 being OK.
My order is in for the HD package upgrade, but my installer said that he was only allowed to install the SL5, and not allowed to install the SL3. I think the reason he's not "allowed" is because the sd locals here are on the 119 sat, of which I've already signed a waiver once before. But the installer told me that there's no way that his supervisors, or whoever makes the final decision, would let it be installed if line of sight was the issue. I know that don't make sense because 1., I already have DTV, and 2., my neighbor has the SL3.

What I am really trying to do is find out what company is handling my install so I can call them before hand and try to make arrangements in advance for me to get the proper setup, and sign the waiver. The installer that was here before said he didn't think he even had a SL3 in his possession.

Waivers have nothing to do with it.

Like I mentioned in the past few posts, just call D* and tell them that you would like to upgrade to HD service, they will look at what you have already in place, if you have a HD recvr and come out and put in your SL3 for you because the SL3 will get your locals for you on the 99 Sat and you won't have to worry about the 119 Sat anymore.

You WILL lose a few Music channels that are on the 119 though.

As for the Company that does the install, YES they definitely KNOW, they just are not telling you, they are the onmes that make the appointment (verify).

If they do know they definitely will not tell me. The last person I spoke to a few minutes ago said that all they do is put the order in the computer and couldn't find out who would be doing the install. Btw, to answer your previous question, I do not currently have a HD reciever. Just an old Tivo DVR.

Update: Skylink communications is doing the install. The lady who answered the phone at this fine establishment was 100% useless. I know for a fact that the installer is from her office, but she insisted that she could not see if they had me on their schedule or not. I mentioned the name of the installer's supervisor and she confirmed that he did indeed work from her location, but would not let me speak with him, or anyone else and just told me to call the Skylink customer service number. That also proved to be useless because the operator tried, unsuccessfully, to reach the supervisor that I needed. I'm seriously frustrated at this point.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts