Please help with a little info.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
Update: Skylink communications is doing the install. The lady who answered the phone at this fine establishment was 100% useless. I know for a fact that the installer is from her office, but she insisted that she could not see if they had me on their schedule or not. I mentioned the name of the installer's supervisor and she confirmed that he did indeed work from her location, but would not let me speak with him, or anyone else and just told me to call the Skylink customer service number. That also proved to be useless because the operator tried, unsuccessfully, to reach the supervisor that I needed. I'm seriously frustrated at this point.

Call DIRECTV & tell them you want HD programing. If they repeat the same mantra about local installers having the final decision of you getting a SL3 or not,then tell them that you want to cancel your DIRECTV service. You have to force the issue one way or another. It doesn't make sense to keep a service that won't give you what you want. I personally love my DIRECTV service,but in your case,they are jerking you around. I know it's the installer that's doing it,but you need to put your foot down. You are not still under contract are you?

crab

Dec 19, 2011
WV
Why do you not have LOS for 119,is it trees?

It's just the terrain in my neighborhood. There is a mountain directly behind my house. And no, I'm not under contract. The second opinion is scheduled for tomorrow. I think that fact that I'm now educated about the whole shebang now will probably cause the installer to push it through. But then again his higher-ups might not allow it, because he did say that he was paid per job, so he should already be motivated to make it work. If they don't install it for me tomorrow then I'll probably just switch to DN. I think the installer was planning to use old, possibly refurbished boxes for me as well. I mentioned self install to him and he said "the receivers would have to be an H23 or higher DVR, and a H21 for the secondary receiver", and then said that's what he was going to install for me.

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
OK,let us rationally think about this. With the HD whole house MRV installation that you are trying to get,are you also getting the HD receivers & HD DVR's to go with it? Do you currently have SD receivers & do you plan on having them replaced with HD receivers,or are you planning on keeping your SD receivers? The problem you are having with the installation company might involve your SD receivers(your HD locals are on 99 I think someone else said). Whole home DVR & MRV also won't work with SD receivers,not to mention the fact that the new HD GUI won't work with non-HD cables like Svideo & composite cable,only HDMI & component cable.

crab

Dec 19, 2011
WV
OK,let us rationally think about this. With the HD whole house MRV installation that you are trying to get,are you also getting the HD receivers & HD DVR's to go with it? Do you currently have SD receivers & do you plan on having them replaced with HD receivers,or are you planning on keeping your SD receivers? The problem you are having with the installation company might involve your SD receivers(your HD locals are on 99 I think someone else said). Whole home DVR & MRV also won't work with SD receivers,not to mention the fact that the new HD GUI won't work with non-HD cables like Svideo & composite cable,only HDMI & component cable.

No that's not the problem at all. All of my current equipment was to be replaced with new, HD equipment.

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
It's just the terrain in my neighborhood. There is a mountain directly behind my house. And no, I'm not under contract. The second opinion is scheduled for tomorrow. I think that fact that I'm now educated about the whole shebang now will probably cause the installer to push it through. But then again his higher-ups might not allow it, because he did say that he was paid per job, so he should already be motivated to make it work. If they don't install it for me tomorrow then I'll probably just switch to DN. I think the installer was planning to use old, possibly refurbished boxes for me as well. I mentioned self install to him and he said "the receivers would have to be an H23 or higher DVR, and a H21 for the secondary receiver", and then said that's what he was going to install for me.

For MRV are you going to be using ethernet cable to hook up your new HD receivers,or are you going to have a DECA set up where the internet runs through the coaxial cable with a Cinema connection Kit,either hooked up directly to your router,or wirelessly to your wireless router? That would dictate what kind of equipment you get,maybe a HR24 for HD DVR because it doesn't need a DECA adapter like the HR20/21/22/23/R22(an SD DVR that can be upgraded to) HD DVR's do(although they can be used with a DECA adapter). As far as the HD receivers go,the H24/25 HD Receivers don't need a DECA adapter,but I think the H21/23 would need a DECA adapter. Is your current coaxial cable RG6 3 GHZ?

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
crab, this is how it works with Directv. You were able to get a waiver several years ago, but I don't think they are granting them anymore. Since your sd locals are on 119, according to Directv you have to have an sl5. There really isn't any way around that when dealing directly with them. The local independent installer is the only way to go. Since you have already contacted them to do the install, you should be good to go. One caveat, they may not have the sl3 with them and may have to order it since they aren't normally used in your area. If worst comes to worst, go online to the Directv website and contact the office of the President. They are very good about resolving sticky issues like yours and they will get back to you very quickly. Good luck and let us know how it all works out!

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
crab, this is how it works with Directv. You were able to get a waiver several years ago, but I don't think they are granting them anymore. Since your sd locals are on 119, according to Directv you have to have an sl5. There really isn't any way around that when dealing directly with them. The local independent installer is the only way to go. Since you have already contacted them to do the install, you should be good to go. One caveat, they may not have the sl3 with them and may have to order it since they aren't normally used in your area. If worst comes to worst, go online to the Directv website and contact the office of the President. They are very good about resolving sticky issues like yours and they will get back to you very quickly. Good luck and let us know how it all works out!

One thing that might also help would be to order a SL3-SWM from the Solid Signal website & then let the local installer know that you already have it to install. Maybe your local installer doesn't want to carry SL3's because of the infrequency of installing them,& it is easier for them to tell you they can't do it rather than order one(just a wild guess).

crab

Dec 19, 2011
WV

First off, to answer Roy's last post; I have wireless internet in my home, and I don't know if my current cable is true RG6, but I think it is. Although, the installer would have ran new cable. I think they we're just installing the cheapest minimum solution for what I've ordered.

Raoul, this is pretty much the conclusion I have come to also. That's exactly why I was trying to reach someone at Skylink to ensure that they bring an SL3, and discuss any kind of waiver I could potentially sign and so on. However, Skylink refuses to return a call, and the receptionist refuses to let me speak with anyone else. I've read that other's have had major trouble dealing with Skylink too.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country

Dish Network would actually be worse as thier Sats cover an even wider array of the sky.
Tell them that you want HD and that your neighbor has a SL3 set up next door.

crab

Dec 19, 2011
WV
Well, I finally got my system installed. Got the waiver for nlos on 119 without any trouble at all. I'm 100% sure that my research helped with that because the installation support services rep said that he normally never gives that waiver, but in my case since I completely understood what no 119 would mean and how to work around the program guide issues that he would grant it for me.

The whole installation almost didn't go down at all though but my persistence and foresight paid off. Here's what I mean. I knew that I was scheduled for a second opinion for nlos. I knew that I would need a SWM3 lnb, or a waiver from ISS. I tried over and over to reach someone at Skylink to discuss these matters before hand and on the second day of trying I was finally able to talk to a Skylink supervisor, if not for this I wouldn't have got my installation.

I take half the day off work, just as I did last week, to be there for the installer who was supposed to show up before 4pm. Last week on the day of my scheduled install I got a call saying the tech was going to be a little late. Later that night around 7pm, the tech himself called and said he was not going to be there until at least 10pm. He was hoping I would cancel or reschedule, but instead I said "fine, I'll be here". Well, 30 minutes later he showed up at my door since basically I called his bluff. Needless to say he didn't install my dish for the nlos issues. He also said there was no way I would be able to get a waiver, even though I already had DTV, and had to sing the no 119 waiver when I first got service over 6 years ago. I didn't know about the various satellite's respective positions and what channels they each carried at that time, so I lacked the education to convince him to do the install.

Yesterday, before time for my "second opinion" to show, I finally reached a supervisor at Skylink who assured me that; #1. they were not allowed to install a SWM3 in my area under any circumstances, and #2. I could get the waiver. He said it might depend on luck of the draw as to who answers the call at ISS, but if I was persistent, asked to talk to the ISS supervisor if necessary, kept calling back ISS if necessary (in hopes of getting a different CSR who will work with me), that it should be granted. He also said he himself had recently secured a waiver for a customer in a similar situation to mine.

I got home at 11:45am yesterday. I received a call just before noon from the tech, saying he was going to be late. I told him about the previous tech being late as well and asked if he could shuffle things about to get me in sooner since I had already been put off before, but he insisted that the other jobs before me were top priority. More on this later. I asked where he was at the moment, and as it would turn out he was just minutes away from my house. I was much, much closer than all the other places he named off that he needed to go to before me. Well apparently he looked at the work order and seen it was just a nlos second opinion. He must have thought he could take care of that in a couple minutes and go on with the rest of his route. What he didn't yet know was that I had talked to his supervisor already and that the plan was to install my dish instead of just "confirming" nlos. Well, the tech was none to please at the revelation of this new information, and flat out said "oh, no, I can't install it". Despite me telling him about talking to his sup., he still insisted that he couldn't do it, because he and other appointments to make. Imaging how I felt at this point. I have a directv rep in my driveway, saying he cannot and will not install my dish because his other appointments were more important than me. He even said "I just shouldn't have came here". Well, what he later revealed to me, in hopes that I would take pity on him and let him go, was that his other appointments were DTV service calls, and that mine was a Skylink appointment. He then said that for every one of the DTV calls he misses that he is fined $50. I guess since my appointment isn't a DTV service call I should only be able to get my appointments handled late at night while the super important people who take priority over me are peacefully sleeping.

The tech sees that I'm not budging on my stance, and finally starts reluctantly throwing around equipment in the back of his van. He says "I'm just going to do it, when it don't work they can deal with it". He was thinking it was going to be a big hassle to get the waiver and everything. He was very upset thinking that I was going to eat too much of his precious time that rightfully belonged to the other, more important customers. In reality though the whole process went very quickly and without a hitch.

I know the tech did and said some very unprofessional things in my case, but I also understand that his job is probably very frustrating. He probably gets more work orders than he can possibly fill every day, meaning one or more of his appointments are always going to get shafted. I'm sure he has to deal with less than reasonable customers on a daily basis. I guess what I mean is that even though he acted out of line, that I can still sort of sympathize with his situation a little bit. I dread when the DTV calls to do the customer satisfaction survey, because I'm torn on how I should answer them. I don't want to be honest and cause trouble for this guy. But on the other hand, it's going to take some strong discipline on my part to make myself lie of his behalf. Please advise me on this moral conundrum. Thanks to everyone who's followed this thread and offered advise so far.

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
I think you have handled it all pretty well, actually. You seem to understand the pressure they can be under, especially the overbooking aspect. If pressed, I wouldn't go into his attitude, but rather focus on his installation. Did he do a good job on the installation? Yes. That's what really matters.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Crab,
Now what you should do is go get yourself a SL3 LNB and do the swap so you don't have to deal with the lack of los on the 119 and you wouldn't have the guide issues to deal with either.

I think you did a fine job with all that went on, I was just wondering how well he did the job seeing he clearly didn't want to be there.

Btw, take a look at your Signal Strength and see how it looks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts