Please help with alignment!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ATS81

Original poster
Jun 28, 2014
Hello,
I'm trying to Lock in on AMC-1 for Muzak and having a terrible time. I have a First Strike Meter. I get S/N and Q but can not get it to lock. Can anyone out there help me out with this?!

Thank you!!!!

ANdrew

Welcome to Satelliteguys.
DO we know it's AMC that You get S/N and Q? On what transponder(freq/pol/SR)?

C band LNBF? Must be if you can receive the SES mux on 3740. Do you receive DW 2 Radio?? ???
Are there Numbers, band or L.O. info or model, on the LNBF? Should cover the Ku band 11700 to 12200 with L,O. 10750
Setting your meter to the mux your after, 12140 V 20000, which also 'matches' the dish/LNB (lnb settings set to: L.O. 10750) might get you desired results.

I've enter all that into the meter, and I have S:-43 S/N: 12db. So close, just won't lock!!

Is the lnb skewed correctly. If you have a 12db SNR it should lock. The skew on 103W is 24-26 degrees from where it 'should be'. When set for the ''norm' twist the LNBF CCW that amount (when looking at the dish face, back of LNBF)
What's it say for transponder 11940 V 20000 ?
After you get the dish 'meter tweaked' you may have to remove the meter for the receiver to get 'all the signal'.

1. Is the LNBF Skew rotated to the correct angle for your region? Maybe take a photo of mounted LNBF?

2. What is the LO frequency printed on the LNBF? Is the meter menu set to the same LO frequency?

3. Check that the meter polarity is set correctly for the transponder that you are testing. You post showed the frequency and Symbol Rate, but not the polarity.

4. How do you know that you are aimed at the correct satellite? You may be peaking the signal on another bird.

At 11940, the meter drops out. I rotated the LNB and got even better signal. Polarity seems to be correct.

Signal Level doesn't matter. It is all about the Signal Quality reading. Signal Quality reading will only be displayed when the dish is pointed at a satellite signal with the same parameters and the LNB skew is correctly set. The meter will read signal level and CNR from any satellite. We probably can assist if we know some information. :)

1. Is the LNBF Skew rotated to the correct angle for your region? Maybe take a photo of mounted LNBF? What is the LNBF setting in degrees? Standing in front of the dish, is the LNBF rotated clockwise or counter clockwise?

2. What is the LO frequency printed on the LNBF? Is the meter menu set to the same LO frequency?

3. Check that the meter polarity is set correctly for the transponder that you are testing. You post showed the frequency and Symbol Rate, but not the polarity. Example: "Settings right now are Frequency:12140 SR:20000" what is the polarity set to Vertical or horizontal on this transponder?

4. How do you know that you are aimed at the correct satellite? You may be peaking the signal on another bird. Just because the Signal Level increases, doesn't indicate that the dish is on the correct satellite or rotated to the correct polarity.

My meter shows polarity of -29. Is that wrong?
Are you in North / South line with Denver? -29 would be approximate skew for that longitude.

The skew angle setting is determined by your install location. As Fat Air indicated earlier, the skew for AMC1 is not normal and is 24-26 degrees CCW of the calculated angle for that orbital location. Near what city is this system being installed? Page 2 of your linked document shows the correct skew offset for the LNBF your region. http://www.southcentralav.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/le_quick_start.pdf

VERY difficult to assist when you are so selective with the information that you provide in your replies.....

1. Is the LNBF Skew rotated to the correct angle for your region? Maybe take a photo of mounted LNBF? What is the LNBF setting in degrees? Standing in front of the dish, is the LNBF rotated clockwise or counter clockwise?

3. Check that the meter polarity is set correctly for the transponder that you are testing. You post showed the frequency and Symbol Rate, but not the polarity. Example: "Settings right now are Frequency:12140 SR:20000" what is the polarity set to Vertical or horizontal on this transponder?

4. How do you know that you are aimed at the correct satellite? You may be peaking the signal on another bird. Just because the Signal Level increases, doesn't indicate that the dish is on the correct satellite or rotated to the correct polarity.

I'm sorry, very new at this and have a lack of knowledge. Closest city would be Stamford, CT. I will take some photos and have better info in the morning when it is daylight.
Thank you so much for your help

Is skew & polarity the same thing? Do I account for the odd skew of AMC-1?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)