Please help with Dish Box

golfergirl13

Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
California
Please bare with me as I explain everything that has happened since yesterday. When I turned on my tv and turned on my dish box/dvr, I was watching the NBA finals. Well, I wanted to rewind to see the play again and I could not rewind when using the remote control. However, I didn't think nothing of it. I pushed the guide on the remote to see what else was playing and then when I pressed it again, the guide was still on my tv. So, I thought maybe the battery needs to be replaced. I replaced the battery and again I wanted to see the play over again and pushed the rewind on the remote.

I called dish and explained the situation. She said to unplug/plug the power on dish box and I did, however, same thing happened. She then said it is mostly due to the hard drive being corrupted on the box. Therefore, she said she would send out a replacement.

Today, I turned on the dish box and get this error message "Error - An issue has been detected that may affect your ability to record or pause live TV. Unplugging the power cord of your receiver for one minute and then replugging may resolve the issue. If you continue to see this message, please contact technical support. Reference 0ef1. And then it says ok. I press OK and it goes thru the acquiring satellite signal. However, it only goes to 2 to 5 process and then I get the same error message.

I unplug the power cord for 1 minute like it says, and I still get the same message. I have done this at least 10 times with same results.

They are sending me a new box, however, it won't arrive until Friday. I can't even get local channels

I called dish several times today and this time the guy I spoke with says "Hmmm....I have never come across this issue before although I think replacing the box will help". Ok, this does not reassure me.

Any help/advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

i think you are better off waiting for the box. make sure you follow the install directions in the new box very carefully. post any issues you have with the setup process.
in the meantime just ignore the error message, dont unplug the box anymore because it wont fix it. just select ok and you should be able to watch tv, but with no dvr.

i think you are better off waiting for the box. make sure you follow the install directions in the new box very carefully. post any issues you have with the setup process.
in the meantime just ignore the error message, dont unplug the box anymore because it wont fix it. just select ok and you should be able to watch tv, but with no dvr.
I am confused. Is there special instructions? I can't just unplug all the cables on the old box to the new box and then turn it on?

When you get the new box, just set it on top of or under the old box. Then transfer the cables one at a time. If you're still concerned about hooking up the cables correctly, take a pic with your cellphone first and you can refer back to that if needed.

The instructions are gonna say to run a check switch test and will have appropriate screen shots as well. Just remember that once you choose DONE on the point dish screen that you look at the signal bar on the bottom and make sure it says "LOCKED-ECHOSTAR..." before choosing done.

Let me suggest unplugging the Dish box from power for 1 1/2 hours, you may be surprised with the results...
I am doing this right now

When you get the new box, just set it on top of or under the old box. Then transfer the cables one at a time. If you're still concerned about hooking up the cables correctly, take a pic with your cellphone first and you can refer back to that if needed.

The instructions are gonna say to run a check switch test and will have appropriate screen shots as well. Just remember that once you choose DONE on the point dish screen that you look at the signal bar on the bottom and make sure it says "LOCKED-ECHOSTAR..." before choosing done.

Thank You.

yes the instructions are a bit complicated. you have to follow them exactly. if you dont lock on a signal and see a message that your 'software is being downloaded' it's not going to work.

I received my new dish box today. It took about 45 minutes for me to do all the instructions and now I am able to watch TV. Thanks everyone for your suggestions/advice. :)

Heat is a real killer of these units. The HDD runs constantly, thus increasing the amount of heat generated. If you have your box in an enclosed space be sure that there is plenty of ventilation otherwise you will more than likely be replacing it again in 6 months to year...I found a USB powered cooling fan on amazon.com that has definitely helped keep my unit cooler. I just placed next to the vents and it it pulls air right through the unit!

Ross

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)