PLEASE HELP With LG TV Virtual Joey Support

schaefsn

Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
I have scanned all of the Virtual Joey threads and the only information I can find is that all 2014 and "many if not all" 2013 LG TVs support Virtual Joey. I got the same information when I called Dish. I just bought an LG 42LB6300 because my specific application would be perfect with the Virtual Joey. I went to install the Virtual Joey app and the LG App Store says it is not compatible. I have read other posts that say update the LG App Store but my TV says that there are no updates.

Is there a list anywhere? Shouldn't this be easier? I hate to think that if I had DirecTV I could have purchased a Samsung TV (by far my preference) and had the Genie app. Someone please help.

Thanks.

Here is the list I received when I asked about it.

Model # LA6200 : 42/47/50/55/60 inch
Model # LA6900 : 47/50/55 inch
Model # LA7400 : 47/55/60 inch
Model # LA8600 : 55/60 inch
Model # LA9650 : 65/55 inch

You could always check to see if your TV needs a software update if you don't see the app in the app store.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't know why there would be an issue with the 2014 models but may they are behind. From what I've seen, the roll out for the 2014 models has been very slow.

I have had Dish service for 11 years so I know that I am a noob around here. That being said, I am so frustrated by the support for Virtual Joey and the lack of information from Dish that I am seriously considering returning this LG TV, buying a Samsung and switching to DirecTV. Come on Dish, I know that tech releases are usually betas to get it out there but this is ridiculous.

I have had Dish service for 11 years so I know that I am a noob around here. That being said, I am so frustrated by the support for Virtual Joey and the lack of information from Dish that I am seriously considering returning this LG TV, buying a Samsung and switching to DirecTV. Come on Dish, I know that tech releases are usually betas to get it out there but this is ridiculous.

I don't get why you would return the TV. Is there anything wrong with it? There really isn't a huge difference between LG and Samsung, both Korean manufacturers.

Dish has the Virtual Joey app that does not work on my LG TV as I understand that it does. DirecTV has the genie app that I can verify does work on a Samsung TV. My application is best with 1 power cord and 1 Ethernet, no boxes.

That LG TV you bought runs WebOS. I don't know how that OS's application support compares to the older OS that LG uses. But I'm betting that's probably why you aren't seeing it. Your TV looks like this:
LG-42LB6300.jpg

OSU1991's TV looks like this:
medium01.jpg

That is correct and I understand the difference. My point is different. If the tech on the phone says that all 2014 LG TVs are supported then all 2014 LG TVs should be supported. I bought a 2014 LG TV and it is not supported. Dish is not giving out the correct information - here or on the phone.

That's a pretty new TV though. They might not have known about the WebOS based TVs when they first started talking about supporting all of this years models. Cause I remember them saying that back at CES. I'm not saying that Dish is not at fault, but at the same time. Saying you want to cancel over this is a little much. Support is probably in the works for this TV, it's just not out yet.

Have to agree with schaefsn, so far Dish support for the Virtual Joey is abysmal. After the troubled past of WebOS (Palm, HP, opensource, LG license for smart TV use with eye toward mobile device use), I would be very hesitant to bet that LG WebOS-based smart TVs will see a Virtual Joey app anytime soon or maybe ever.

Virtual Joey is quite new, and wireless joey is still in Beta. The CSR's won't have any more experience than the techs. Are you still having issues? Contact DIRT or I can pull out all the info I have on it tomorrow and try to help, haven't installed with virtual joey yet though.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have scanned all of the Virtual Joey threads and the only information I can find is that all 2014 and "many if not all" 2013 LG TVs support Virtual Joey. I got the same information when I called Dish. I just bought an LG 42LB6300 because my specific application would be perfect with the Virtual Joey. I went to install the Virtual Joey app and the LG App Store says it is not compatible. I have read other posts that say update the LG App Store but my TV says that there are no updates.

Is there a list anywhere? Shouldn't this be easier? I hate to think that if I had DirecTV I could have purchased a Samsung TV (by far my preference) and had the Genie app. Someone please help.

Thanks.
I too was looking like crazy for just a list of compatible TV's and finally after several phone calls I got a Dish tech guy to email me this...,
LG TVsLN5700: 32/42/47/50/55/60
LA6200: 42/47/50/55/60
LA6900: 47/50/55
LA7400: 47/55/60
LA8600: 55/60
LA9650: 65/55
Game ConsolesSony PlayStation 3

I wonder why DISH couldn't come up with a small device like the new roku player that you plug directly into your hdmi port on your tv. Looks like a flash drive. Then you could have a virtual joey app on the plug in device and put it anywhere in your house you wanted a joey. I think that would be easier than trying to support it on a third party device like LG or the Play Station 3. They could call it the Virtual Joey Plug. :eureka

Vivek you listening?:deal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)