Please new channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

willsweeps99

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
United States
With us losing INSP and Weather Channel, I hope we get new channels soon. I know supposedly 4 retro channels are supposed to come in Spring but I was wondering if anyone has heard anything.

The Weather Channel is gone. Direct put Weather Nation on 362 so people would not have to search for a channel with weather on it

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The Weather Channel is gone. Direct put Weather Nation on 362 so people would not have to search for a channel with weather on it

Yes, replacing TWC with WN was an upgrade, especially considering that we can now get local weather with a push of the red button.

With us losing INSP and Weather Channel, I hope we get new channels soon. I know supposedly 4 retro channels are supposed to come in Spring but I was wondering if anyone has heard anything.
The most you are going to see, is maybe more Sports channels showing up. If you go to http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462894/o...ps-cable-dbs-fiber-iptv-updated-2-10-14/0_100 it is a pretty up to date listing of current & possible new channels coming out to providers.

SEC Network is supposed to be out in the Third Quarter of this year (Aug.). Sportsnet LA (Dodgers) in Feb. 25 Encore (Espanol, Family, Westerns), Flix (Flix East/West), Chiller, Daystar, HRTV, TeenNick, Showtime (FamilyZone East/West), Teleformula, all Too Be Determined. Now of course, the ones listed are not showing on that link I posted, as coming to DirecTV.

It is all about how much the party that owns the channels, wants DirecTV to pay, or allow the broadcaster a certain slot. Home Shopping, the ministry channels and Private Networks (ie Anheisur-Busch, etc.) that are in the 9000's, also pay DirecTV a certain amount to allow them private broadcasting to their offices.

Until the new Encoders get put into place, right now there is for most providers not enough bandwidth, to allow for more HD programming. Also they have to offer a certain percentage of SD along with HD, since not everyone subscribes to HD programming, even though they may have a HDTV in their home.

Direct has to get a new bird in the air too, and Id rather em not keep cramming HD on transponders like another party has done.

Direct has to get a new bird in the air too, and Id rather em not keep cramming HD on transponders like another party has done.

Their next satellite should be operational by year's end. They have put more channels per transponder, but with better encoding, there has been no noticeable loss of picture quality. Are you claiming there has been?

Their next satellite should be operational by year's end. They have put more channels per transponder, but with better encoding, there has been no noticeable loss of picture quality. Are you claiming there has been?

No, when they went from 4 to 5 and 5 to 6, its seemed to be OK. Im talking the 8 and 9 Dish has on theirs now.

That being said, I think all HD providers could stand to do "better".

Dish uses ku band, not ka. They also use different encryption. Apples to oranges, more or less.

I keep hearing that, at the end of the day, if you have seen both, you know who has better PQ. Im sure the lack of channels crammed in on one vs the other has a little something to do with that. Regardless of turbo this, or ku/ka that.

At this point they may be launching D14 and D15 together! Last I heard D14 was delayed until Q3 and even that was sketchy. D15 is also scheduled to launch Q1 of 2015. Both going to 103 and 99 I believe.

Dish uses ku band, not ka. They also use different encryption. Apples to oranges, more or less.

Not quite. Technically both IRD's should be able to tune into each other (newer ones, IE: H and HR's and Hopper, ect) Different encryption, but that can be changed with a smart card and software swap. The only receivers that are not backwards capable (hardware wise) is the old legacy DSS stuff on D*. Both E* and D* IRDs, if the software was built, could handle both signals, hardware wise. If they ran dual encryption technically and changed some tables on the muxes it would be possible to see each other. It's just the way both company's present the same signal are different. This could easily change with some thought and a merger. Just one of those things that makes you go humm...

I don't understand this logic. If PQ is being compared, the end result is apples to apples. I think Directv was a little better when I first got it, but not a ton. It's still the best PQ out there, but saying that Dish's PQ is worse because of the technology is no reason for it to be justified.

I don't understand this logic. If PQ is being compared, the end result is apples to apples. I think Directv was a little better when I first got it, but not a ton. It's still the best PQ out there, but saying that Dish's PQ is worse because of the technology is no reason for it to be justified.

It really is an apples to apples and not an apples to oranges. Transmission method really doesn't have an effect, all though it is apart of the equation as different rates can squeeze in more channels. The Transmission band has no effect at all. What matters is compression used, how much, resolution and bit rate given. Given a transponder, setup identically between the two systems with the same bandwidth, No matter what the band used, both pictures should look the same if it's identical. What happens is dish uses a lower bitrate dependent upon content and resolution on some of their channels giving the picture a softer look. Directv uses a higher bit rate depended upon content and full resolution. DirecTV trys to pass on what the provider gives them for the most part. That gives Directv a sharper look.

It really is an apples to apples and not an apples to oranges. Transmission method really doesn't have an effect, all though it is apart of the equation as different rates can squeeze in more channels. The Transmission band has no effect at all. What matters is compression used, how much, resolution and bit rate given. Given a transponder, setup identically between the two systems with the same bandwidth, No matter what the band used, both pictures should look the same if it's identical. What happens is dish uses a lower bitrate dependent upon content and resolution on some of their channels giving the picture a softer look. Directv uses a higher bit rate depended upon content and full resolution. DirecTV trys to pass on what the provider gives them for the most part. That gives Directv a sharper look.

That's my point, Dish uses a different encoding method that allows more channels per transponder. Also, they don't relay the full bandwidth like Directv does. Dish only sends down 1440x1080, Directv does 1920x1080.

That's my point, Dish uses a different encoding method that allows more channels per transponder. Also, they don't relay the full bandwidth like Directv does. Dish only sends down 1440x1080, Directv does 1920x1080.

Encoding is not transmission.... Transponder rates are not encoding.... Encoding is taking the "video" from an ATSC or ASI signal and doing mathematical equations to predict frames and compress the video. This gets into the full I frames followed by P (prediction) frames and then B (Bidirectional Prediction Frames) frames. The encoder does the I frame first the the P frame and fills in B frames in between. So its presented to the decoder as IBBPBBIBBPBB, ect depending upon GOP structure chosen. The I frame is the full picture, the P frame is predicted upon the I frame, and then the B frame is predicted upon the apperance past and future frames.

Transmission method determines the size of your physical pipe going up and down to the bird, 8psk, QPSK, ect. You can further squeeze that finite number by using compression (IE Encoding) MP2, MP4, H.265, H.264. The physical pipe will always be the same number depending upon what you assign it and FEC rates used. So a S2 transponder at 9/10ths FEC will have more bandwidth available than a QPSK transponder at 5/6.

Compression comes in to bring down the size of the content to fit in the pipe, and the smaller you make the content the more you can fit in the predetermined pipe. By removing unwanted info in the picture or un needed info, you can reduce the size of the picture and have it use 1/8th of the pipe versus 1/2 of the pipe for uncompressed video.

There are two different things going on here. Transmission methods and encoding methods. I just wanted to clarify this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts