Please Share Your Setup for DVR Expansion

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chargerrich

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Kansas City
I am all set for my DTV 5 HD install in early July and was curious what solutions/setup some of you might use for expanded DVR capacity?

I assume there is a way I can utilize a USB external drive on each of my two HR-24's to add 2TB of data per DVR but am concerned there are some built in limitations or fees associated with making this a reality.

Would love to hear, specifically, what some of you have done to expand your capacity.

Thank you in advance, your feedback is appreciated! :up

First of all, it's e-SATA drives you must use, NOT USB. There are NO extra fees to make them work - just the cost of whatever drives you buy.

As far as which drives to use, I don't know since I have HR20's, but weaknees.com has e-SATA drives that work w/HR24's.

First of all, it's e-SATA drives you must use, NOT USB. There are NO extra fees to make them work - just the cost of whatever drives you buy.

As far as which drives to use, I don't know since I have HR20's, but weaknees.com has e-SATA drives that work w/HR24's.

Your HR20's will work nicely with EHD's as well :)

chargerrich,

I have had good luck with Seagate EHD's , I am currently using a 1.5 TB Free Agent Extreme.

Others have had luck with others as well.

There are multiple threads here discussing them, try the search function for some of them.

chargerrich,

And unlike Dish add-on hard drives, the e-sata drive replaces the internal drive on the DirecTV boxes. So if you are going to add an external drive do it soon before you set up your recordings, series links, etc. on the new boxes.

Walmart is selling the internal Seagate 7200 RPM 1 TB drive for $80. Took about 15 minutes to swap it out. No extra wires, noise or boxes to deal with and the drive comes with a 5 year warranty.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts