Pleased with Charter Internet

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Had Charter Internet few years back, then cancelled and went to U-Verse for like 3-4 years.
Last year I went back to Charter and I love their high speed internet, it has been rock solid and much faster than U-Verse in my area.

I pay $29.99 for 30MB Up.

Today I received a statement saying the following:
Promotion Discount - Thank you for being a Charter
customer. We hope you are continuing to take
advantage of all that your Charter Services have to offer.
When you signed up for your new Charter service, you
received a discounted promotional rate on your bill.
Although the discounted rate for the first part of your
promotion is about to end, Charter is pleased to continue
to provide you a discount off standard pricing for an
additional 12 months, beginning with your next monthly
statement.
Thank you again for your business. It is our pleasure to
serve you.

This is great news, so I will keep my services with them for the next 12 months and most likely will stick with them...the pricing is too good to pass up.
I am now considering if I can upgrade to business, which is 60Mb for $55 a month, which is a pretty good deal if you ask me!

So I called today and asked them about their business account, they said it would be $65 a month & a $75 installation fee. Ouch!
I could definitely use the upgraded speed since I have multiple devices, 2 cell phones, 1 laptop, 1 desktop, 1 Printer, Vonage, an iPad, SmarTV wiress, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360...
I am debating this right now hmmmm....It would be $35 more a month...

Not too high on Charter customer support but,their internet is pretty dang good.They don't have anything over 30 down here yet,honestly I'm very happy with that speed.Never have any issues,always multiple devices running.

2 desktops
2 laptops
roku
PS3
Voip phone service
2 tablet pcs
2 dish receivers wired for on demand

Even when I'm d/loading a large file I haven't noticed any major slowdowns.Personally I think you would just be wasting money unless...you d/load huge amounts of stuff.

In Michigan, my latest lowered rate (been nearly a decade with Charter) is $75/mo for 30 mb down, 3-4 up. Last statement said "we've upped your speed at no extra charge" to 60mb down, but I don't see ANY change. Even rebooted the modem. Overall, however, service has been GREAT, techs are polite and knowledgeable when needed, and for the LONGEST time, our business account had the same salesperson on the other end of the phone. NO real complaints, but may do DSL backup to keep our 'net stream live on WION when cable is out due to power outages.

In Michigan, my latest lowered rate (been nearly a decade with Charter) is $75/mo for 30 mb down, 3-4 up. Last statement said "we've upped your speed at no extra charge" to 60mb down, but I don't see ANY change. Even rebooted the modem. Overall, however, service has been GREAT, techs are polite and knowledgeable when needed, and for the LONGEST time, our business account had the same salesperson on the other end of the phone. NO real complaints, but may do DSL backup to keep our 'net stream live on WION when cable is out due to power outages.

Do you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem?

At that price I'd be bitching really loudly!Ask for a manager,supervisor,or retention,for $75 you should be getting 60 down.

Nope. They charge more for businesses. Houses get this at half the price. When I started with them nearly a decade ago, 3mb down was still $99. Last year we got dropped to $75. Businesses don't get to "bitch"....we don't get the breaks the same service in your home gets. I really don't consider it too bad.

Nope. They charge more for businesses. Houses get this at half the price. When I started with them nearly a decade ago, 3mb down was still $99. Last year we got dropped to $75. Businesses don't get to "bitch"....we don't get the breaks the same service in your home gets. I really don't consider it too bad.

I disagree,if they are advertising 60Mb down,then you should be getting 60Mb down.Just because you are a business doesn't mean you have no right to complain.:D

Well, here's the deal.
First, it was put IN their latest invoice. Maybe its not here YET. Entirely possible. Secondly, it could take a different modem than I have, we've dealt with that before, too...Charter seems to be part of the "modem of the month" club. Third: What I have works, and the price is reasonable for business and does what we need. In the order of priorities, complaining is WAY down, someday calling to see about it...SOMEDAY..is on the horizon, but 60 mb or 30 isn't going to radically change anything we do anyway. Not e-mails, not streaming, nothing. Therefore, "bitch first enjoy second" does not apply here. i save that for when it's really needed. Id rather they provide an upload increase, 30mb is quite fine, even for businesses and "power users." Oh, and I'm the last drop on the line, too. I may NEVER get that due to system limitations.

Just to update you guys all, they contacted me today, left a voicemail since I was indisposed, and they came back with me with $45 installation fee instead of $75, which is not bad...and the same price $65 for 60Mb down.

I might go for it.

radio, did you see my question about your modem?

I think he's made it pretty clear,he doesn't mind if he doesn't get what he pays for.Personally it bothers me when I feel a customer is being taken advantage of,but that's just me.

I'm also in Michigan but on the right side of the state. I've only been with them for about 3 months but so far I've been very pleased. Everyone I've dealt with at Charter has been very polite and professional. I AVERAGE 35 down and 4.25 up and am paying $60 @ month for internet AND phone. Yes, it's a promotional rate for the 1st year but SUPPOSED to only raise to $70 after 12 months. We'll see........

Ed

Just to update you guys all, they contacted me today, left a voicemail since I was indisposed, and they came back with me with $45 installation fee instead of $75, which is not bad...and the same price $65 for 60Mb down.

I might go for it.

Is the $65 per month for 12 months only? The $29 per month for 30Mb down is going to go up to about $49 after 12 months. So I think the $65 is going to up to about $99 after new account promotion. I don't think you really need 60Mb down. I have 30Mb down with 6 laptops, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Windows tablet, 2 Android phones, 1 Smart TV, 1 Xbox 360, Apple TV, Chromecast connected. At most evenings, at least 5 of those will be connected to internet and 2 or 3 will be streaming Netflix or HD video and I have no problem with bandwidth.

Also I think I read somewhere on this forum that Charter will raise the 30Mb to 60Mb for free soon. But it is up to you if you really need the 60Mb now.

Charter recently bought out our local cable co which was run by Optimum for a couple years. It seems to change hands every 3-4 years. The only thing I could be sure about these changes of ownership is that the bill will increase soon. I have been having issues with my service for a few days now so I called Charter to find out what's up. We checked out my side and rebooted everything which of course was just fine and then she tells me they have a area wide problem they are trying to resolve. No clues as to what it is but they are working on it ;) But when she checked out my end she indicated I was getting my standard minimum 30mb. I said I was paying extra for it cause the standard is 15mb here. She said they were upping everyone to minimum 30mb and my extra charge will be removed from my bill this month. That will be one for the record books... a cable bill goes down!? I got an idea they will rearrange the charges rename a few and the bill will magically remain the same or go up. I pay $70 now. W shall see what the next bill brings:coffee :confused:

Is the $65 per month for 12 months only? The $29 per month for 30Mb down is going to go up to about $49 after 12 months. So I think the $65 is going to up to about $99 after new account promotion. I don't think you really need 60Mb down. I have 30Mb down with 6 laptops, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Windows tablet, 2 Android phones, 1 Smart TV, 1 Xbox 360, Apple TV, Chromecast connected. At most evenings, at least 5 of those will be connected to internet and 2 or 3 will be streaming Netflix or HD video and I have no problem with bandwidth.

Also I think I read somewhere on this forum that Charter will raise the 30Mb to 60Mb for free soon. But it is up to you if you really need the 60Mb now.

Actually, 30 down would raise from $30 to $60 for me after a year. With phone it's now $60 going to $70 after 12 months. Rounding off here of course. Seemed like a no brainer to go with the phone for me. Happy with Dish so no Charter TV.

Plenty fast enough for me!

Ed

I've been with Charter forever and really have no complaints. As somebody alluded to earlier in the thread, all Charter residential HSI will be 60Mb down soon without a price increase and yes you need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem which they now provide free of charge. The county next to me just got the boost and I expect it soon. Also, except for new customer promos they have instituted the same pricing schedule for all of their markets and supposedly have eradicated making deals, though I don't know if that is a fact with Customer Retention reps. With bundling of TV and phone my HSI charge is $50/month and that should be the case everywhere.

I actually did receive a substantial reduction in my TV/HSI/Phone bill a couple of months ago. I had not been paying attention to the changes they had introduced in this regard last year and I was pleasantly surprised to pay much less for more services. My only complaint with Charter is I wish they were better at communicating changes that affect customers like changes in services, pricing, etc. I've started paying attention to sites like this again which helps a lot.

Also for those who didn't know, Charter CATV will be all digital in all of their markets by the end of the year. My switch is scheduled for 3/11/14 and I'll now have 180 HD channels and something crazy like 475 channels total. I know many people have had problems with various Charter services in certain areas, so I feel fortunate that my area is not one of them. With a fairly new infrastructure and low population density I've luckily ended up with the best of both worlds in that regard.

Last edited:
Has anyone had issue with the 250GB cap? Does Charter enforce that?

I don't think they do, at least in my area. I am a cord cutter so I stream more video than the average person. I'm also a big gamer and I have been buying all my games digitally for the last year or two for convenience. Between Steam, Xbox Live, and PSN I probably download anywhere from 5 to 10 games every month. Now that the PS4/Xbox One are out I am seeing game downloads as big as 50GB. Most of the games I download are still in the 6GB to 20GB range but the files I am downloading have been getting bigger and bigger. Not to mention all the automatic patches that are coming in at over a GB now. I installed Diablo 3 from a DVD last night. I had to download a 12GB update before I could play even though I was installing from a retail disk.

Anyways, if your not a gamer a lot of what I posted isn't relevant to you. The part that is relevant is that I'm sure I go over 250GB pretty much every month. I haven't turned on any monitoring in my router to get exact numbers but between the streaming and game downloads I think it's a safe bet. I've never received any letters from Charter telling me I'm using to much or overage fees added to my bill. I don't think they have ever throttled my speeds for using to much either. If they have it wasn't low enough for me to notice because my HD streaming and online gaming has always worked smoothly.

I've never came close to 250Gb,that includes d/loads,netflix,amazon,and now WWE network.Unless you constantly go over 250Gb I don't think they will pay much attention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts