Pls Help - 18" Round D* to D* Phase III Two TIVO SD DVR's ? ? ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Billsnj

Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
SNJ
Need some help - my present configuration as follows: 18" round D* dish with two rg6 cables from dish into my house. Inside the two RG6's cables connect into a 3 x 5 Zinwell multi-switch SAM 3402 - output from the 3 x 5 Zinwell four RG6 cables connect to two Hughes TIVO SD DVR's. NOTE: This is a SD only config and that is what I want to keep. Both DVR's have been upgrade to 180 hr capacity.
Problem - trees are starting to block the D* 18" setup - so I need to move the dish to a better locaton.

Have been looking into the Directv 18 X 20 Phase III 3-LNB with built-in multi-switch. I understand that this is "old" technology - I'm OK with that - not at all interested in HD! I found a dish for $30.00.

Question - please give me a detail description of configuration using the 18 X 20 Phase III dish.
NOTE: I would definitley prefer to just use my existing RG6 cables (two) as they will pretty much reach to the new location (will need to add approx. 20 feet) - I do not want to drill additional holes into my house if this can me avoided.

Thanks - NOTE: My two DVR's are not SWM compatable - too old !!

The Phase III dish doesn't do swm, so you don't have to worry about that. It's older technology, but it's still being used for new sd only installs. If your system is working fine, I don't see any advantage to going to the Phase III dish. In fact, you may have problems receiving the 119 satellite with the Phase III if you are starting to have los issues with the 18" dish.

The Phase III dish doesn't do swm, so you don't have to worry about that. It's older technology, but it's still being used for new sd only installs. If your system is working fine, I don't see any advantage to going to the Phase III dish. In fact, you may have problems receiving the 119 satellite with the Phase III if you are starting to have los issues with the 18" dish.

Agree, just move the 18in dish to a new location.

if you do go with the Phase III all you do is remove the multiswith and run the 4 cables directly to the dish. The Phase III has a built in multiswitch

By going with the 18X20 you'll need to run another set of dual cable from the LNB and take it to where the switch is currently. That way all 4 lines are there. This will also possibly make you drill another hole in the house. You're best bet is to do as mentioned and just relocate the 18 inch dish

If I read your reply correctly - you are saying that I cannot use just two RG6's from the Phase III to my two DVR's !

I must run a total of four RG6 cables. !

Question - why can't I just run two and use my existing Zinwell ????

RE - Read Your REPLY -- I am having LOS ! That is why I am moving my dish to a location on my house where I will not incur LOS. My question was about the old config vs the new config ? I want to know can I use the Phase III - two RG6's run two SD DVRS ?

The Phase III has a multiswitch built in already. So to get both 101 & 119 sats you need to run 4 lines to the dish (2 for each DVR). The internal switch switches between 101 & 119.

Dont get me wrong. You **could** do it the way you posted (2 lines from dish to zinwell switch) but then I have a comment and a question
-comment.....you wont get 119 then
-question.....why install a different dish when all you'd have to do is move the existing 18" dish and keep it the way it is???

Iceberg - Thanks for the reply - I was thinking about the future when I looked into the Phase III. Right now I have just the two TIVO DVR's' but I just re-finished the front bedroom and I was thinking about adding a D* receiver there. If I do the four feeds from the Phase III would not be enough as I would need at least one more feed for the new D* receiver. Perhaps you are right and I should just moved the 18" dish. RE: The 119 Sat - don't know what I'd be missing from that bird - I'm pretty sure most of my stuff comes from the 101. I have a chart somewhere - I will have to look it up.

One more thing - if I add an additional D* receiver - do you know what typr of multi-sw I would need. I read something about cascading but it's a bit over my head right now. That's why I came here for help.

English channels on 119
NOW 219
JLTV 366
HOPE 368
SonicTap: Rat Pack
SonicTap: Holidays & Happenings
SonicTap: Groove Lounge
SonicTap: Jazz
SonicTap: Metro Blend
SonicTap: Great Standards
SonicTap: PUMP!
SonicTap: Piano
SonicTap: Fiesta Tropical
SonicTap: Regional Mexican
SonicTap: Mariachi
SonicTap: Carnaval Brasileiro
SonicTap: Familiar Favorites
SonicTap: Italian Bistro Blend
SonicTap: Italian Contemporary
SonicTap: Irish
SonicTap: Tranquility

Sonic channels vary by programming package

If you add a receiver and use the 18" dish it would be a 3x8
here is an example of one from Ebay

If its the Phase III then its a 4x8 or 6x8
here is the 4x8...they are usually powered

The 6x8 is used mainly for the HD slimline but can be used as a 4x8 and dont require power (and are usually cheaper)

Iceberg - Once again I appreciate your reply !!! Last question - If I decide to use the Phase III dish would I need to buy two Zinwell MS 6X8 WB-Z multi-sw's. One would be at the dish connected to the built in MS (all 4 outputs from built-in sw connected to 4 inputs on the 6X8 Zinwell). The other would be inside my house to connect the two TIVO DVR's. Conection would reguire - no power lead and only two wires from dish into house. If I decide to add TV(reciever D*) to front bedroom I could then add addition RG6 from 6X8 to the new loaction (just below where I'm placing the Dish).
Hope I'm not being a Pain - but I do appreciate you replies.
PS - I'm traveling for two weeks - so I will not see your reply until - 6/18 --- Thanks Again !!! Bill

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Meter for dish setup RVing?

Replacing leased receivers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)