Plumb and Level

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kc5qih

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
Okay so i ordered my FTA system today from Sadoun, looks like it should be here on Wed...so i was looking at my mounting pole and it looks like i am 1 degree off of plumb...is this 1 degree going to make a huge difference? I mean i can probably mess around a little more with it and make it plumb level but seems like the wind blowing could knock it off 1 degree. I keep reading about dead on..it just seems like it wouldnt take much to make a 1 degree change.

Chris

When you add the dish (and motor) it is going to be pulled off level, so you want to off-set it slightly to compensate. I often use the bubble level that comes with DirecTV Phase III dish, after I put on the the dish and motor and if the bubble is not bag on I take everything off and off-set some more (or less). It's that important, get it as close as you can and it will help greatly in the long run as you scan the arc.

well right now it seems that the pole is slightly to the left, by that i mean if i move it just a tick to the right it goes dead on @ 0 on my johnson angle finder. I'm sure I will just have to wait and see what i get once the dish and motor are mounted to it. On the good side at least all i have to do is loosen the nuts and bolts on the tripod and adjust it that way and retighten it. I'm really excited about getting it on Wed. I know i'm not gonna get in a hurry though..seems like if you just take your time and make sure everything is right the first time it shouldn't be too hard.

I got the Johnson Angle Finder too and I was about 1 degree off on the pole I am using (installed by Dish network). Of course, i am using 1.2 on every satellite to fine tune-maybe that is why. So PSB is right get it as close as you can-but you may have some leeway.

The more i look @ it the more it seems that my Johnson Angle Finder is off some 1 to 2 degrees. I've tested it on various flat surfaces and on most my angle finder gives me 1 to 2 degrees off 90 or 0, depending on how i place it and my level is actually showing me to be straight level. I just wish i knew which one is off..because it seems that one of them is. Guess I'll just have to go with my level for making sure my pole is plumb and then use the angle indicated on the motor and dish when it comes to setting my elevations and just use my angle finder for a secondary source. Because as it looks it is definately off a little.

kc5qih said:
The more i look @ it the more it seems that my Johnson Angle Finder is off some 1 to 2 degrees. I've tested it on various flat surfaces and on most my angle finder gives me 1 to 2 degrees off 90 or 0, depending on how i place it and my level is actually showing me to be straight level. I just wish i knew which one is off..because it seems that one of them is. Guess I'll just have to go with my level for making sure my pole is plumb and then use the angle indicated on the motor and dish when it comes to setting my elevations and just use my angle finder for a secondary source. Because as it looks it is definately off a little.

Yeah, if you have a level check it with that too. Make sure you wait at least 24 hours after setting the pole before you begin installation. Then just set the angles on your motor according to the manual, aim the motor and dish assembly as one unit at TS, set your dish elevation so it is close and then peak it until you lock a signal. The elevation on the dish can be slightly off so just use that as a guide-the motor settings are what count. My dish is off by about 2 degrees.

i'm actually going to either tripod mount it or do the old 5 gallon bucket with concrete, i don't really have a place to put the pole in the ground. The tripod actually is stable. I thought about mounting the tripod to a pallett and then securing it down that way since the pallet would act as a counterweight, then just adjust the pole within the tripod nuts and bolts and lock it down and it shouldnt move. Hopefully it will work out dandy. If nothing else i can always mount it where an old direct tv dish is mounted, although i'd have to figure out a way to use the pole its mounted on on the roof. Who knows i'll let you know for sure this weekend though. Hopefully it goes off without a hitch..or at least without very many hitches.

btw, how do you peak it, keep the nuts and bolts on the dish slightly loose and then just go up and down until the signal is as high as you can get it..and by lock does the receiver lock a signal after it reaches a certain threshold?

Chris

kc5qih said:
If nothing else i can always mount it where an old direct tv dish is mounted, although i'd have to figure out a way to use the pole its mounted on on the roof. Who knows i'll let you know for sure this weekend though. Hopefully it goes off without a hitch..or at least without very many hitches.

That's what I ended up doing-using an old Dish Network pole. It was slightly off but still worked ok. Good luck this weekend. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)