Plz help with my HDTV problem...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lex666

Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
Hey guys,

I have this on-going problem with my HDTV. Its been going on for years. Maybe you guys can help me out.

Bright flashes on my screen, strobe lights, or quick changes from dark to white causes my screen to lose picture for a few seconds. Very annoying especially when watching explosions or action movies. The screen goes black, and I get a message "searching for signals". It only lasts for a few seconds, but it can happen repeatedly - again and again. Not cool at all during gunfights or explosions...

I originally thought the problem was with my Toshiba TV. I recently upgraded to a new Samsung HDTV. Problem still exists.

I don't think its my home theater receiver. My receiver has multiple outputs to other TV's in other rooms and they do not have this problem.

Questions:

1. has anyone experienced this, and if so, is there a remedy?

2. I upgraded to a higher-end HDMI cable. The problem still exists. Now, I'm thinking about switching to component video. Would I lose any picture quality when compared to HDMI? The highest resolution my receiver can put out is 1080i. (the 1080p BluRay is connected directly to the TV via a separate HDMI input. The BluRay player does not exhibit the same problem as described above)

It should be noted that my HT receiver is on one side of the room and the TV on another. This requires me to run a 25ft. cable. All cables used are of high quality.

Thanks,

I had something similar on my first DLP projector some 7 years ago when playing a VHS tape connected over composite. No kidding.

I believe this is the source material at fault.
IIRC the explanation at that time was that blank pages (of any color) make the projector lose the connection to the player.
It takes a few seconds to re-establish it. And the worse the material, the more chances for this to happen.

What are you playing? Is it reproducible? In your case it could be the players' fault. Or the receiver's.

Diogen.

Thanks, this problem occurs with all sources - Directv receiver (HD), DVD, DVD-R, VCR, and LaserDisc.

Yes, I still have a VCR and LaserDisc connected as a source! :angel:

i have the same problem ( although it's an insignia lcd ) and they have to replace the main board. don't know if this applies to projection.

Thanks, this problem occurs with all sources - Directv receiver (HD), DVD, DVD-R, VCR, and LaserDisc.
That makes the receiver the suspect.

First, try the receiver with the same connector the BD uses successfully. Did it help?

If not, take one of the players in this list and connect directly to the TV with a short cable.
Play the offending material. Same problem?

DIogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)