Newport News, VA
Pirates Blu-ray issues and solutions - DVDTOWN.com

Pirates Blu-ray issues and solutions

displayimage.php
Pirates Blu-ray issues and solutions.

What's New
By Henning Molbaek
FIRST ONLINE Dec 6, 2007

First, some have reported playback problems with the new "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World´s End." Some Samsung and Playstation 3 players seem to be affected by the problem. Our very own review copy will not play in the Samsung SBD-P1200 and the reason for a delay of the review.

Samsung are working on a firmware upgrade and we have yet to hear from Sony. Should you have an issue with your copy of the movie be sure to call Disney's tech support number at 1-800-723-4763.

A typo can also be found on the back of "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World´s End." The cover art lists the movie as being a 1080i transfer. Rest assured, it is in gorgeous 1080p video. Disney will not call back the affected copies but of course correct it with the next batch.

Now, remember the framing issues with "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black" on Blu-ray? Disney is hard at work making new discs with corrected framing. The studio will exchange your copy of the movie if you have a affected disc. For more details call Disney's tech support number at 1-800-723-4763.

yea, I didn't buy it. Between that & the aspect ratio on the 1st film, I'm gonna wait and get them after the holidays. Way to go Disney! :mad:

Here's hoping they get rid of the monkeys in the QC department.

Wow! You posted this almost two hours ago in a different thread! :D

Thanks for the sage advice, though... I'm sure it's completely impartial and is in now way designed to lower BD sales numbers for the week. ;)
I didn't start this thread?

What is going on with the quality control with BD? Fox problems, disney problems. I think people should not buy anymore BD discs until the reviewers say there ok.

I didn't start this thread?

What is going on with the quality control with BD? Fox problems, disney problems. I think people should not buy anymore BD discs until the reviewers say there ok.

Well, at least I get a good laugh out of your posts, if nothing else... :D

PS3 Fix:

You have to go to your settings screen of your PS3, then go to BD/DVD settings, go to near the bottom where it says BD 1080p 24FPS playback, click that and turn it off, then restart the system and it worked.

Last edited:
PS3 Fix:

You have to go to your settings screen of your PS3, then go to BD/DVD settings, go to near the bottom where it says BD 1080p 24Mhz playback, click that and turn it off, then restart the system and it worked.

No thanks. I'd much rather wait until the disc is "fixed" than to go through all of THAT hassle... ;)

Well, as long as we're piling it on :D

"Superbad" apparently takes a very long time to load on players other than the PS3:

Originally Posted by phansson
Tried to watch "superbad" last night. On load up, the player stated play, 00:00:00 and then just sat on a black screen for about 1 min. I have gotten so used to a quick boot up on this player I was surprised. Ended up watching it on my PS3.

Anyone else with "Superbad" have any issues??

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I can confirm this as well. Superbad takes a very long time to load in the BD30. Menu navigation is also frustratingly slow.

Originally Posted by Jon Spackman

On my Sony S1 Superbad had the standard java "LOADING" banner for a while.

I haven't tried Superbad yet - it sounds like it's very funny, but it's $28.95 even on Amazon, Wally World wanted $29.95. :mad:
I'll wait to pick it up cheap on eBay or catch it in the Netflix Q.

"Superbad" apparently takes a very long time to load on players other than the PS3:

I haven't tried Superbad yet - it sounds like it's very funny, but it's $28.95 even on Amazon, Wally World wanted $29.95. :mad:

Let's have a race: Superbad in your BD30 and ANY movie in my A2, and see which one starts playing first :)

Okay, on the PS3 when you select 24fps the PS3 will force 24fps output to your display device. If your HDTV cannot accept 24fps then you must go into the menu on the PS3 and turn 24fps OFF for the disc to work. This is not a problem with the disc but rather that you have selected an output for which your HDTV cannot accept. Some older BD movies did not allow the player to force 24fps if the display device does not accept and the PS3 can read that. However, after the 1.92 update we have been able to force a 24fps output from the PS3 and on newer movies if your display does not support 24fps input then all you will get is a blank screen and the PS3 does not play the BD. Maybe there are too many choices on the PS3 for BD playback?

So I suppose some people should wait for Disney to release the new batch with the 1080p on the back, that be the only way to know if the disc has any issues as far as the framerate goes...Am I RIGHT?

I have both Superbad and POC WE and they worked fine on my PS3. Superbad is very, very funny...:D

PS3 Fix:

You have to go to your settings screen of your PS3, then go to BD/DVD settings, go to near the bottom where it says BD 1080p 24FPS playback, click that and turn it off, then restart the system and it worked.

You just saved my Sunday. Just one question: Does this mean that I won't be watching the movie in 1080p? :confused: I have always had my PS3 set to 1080p and this is the first time I turn this feature off.

Superbad worked fine in my BDP-S300. it took a bit long to load which was a pain in the ass but I just take that as being my owning a non 1.1 profile player. it also froze about a half hour in but once I installed the update it played without freezing but still had the long ass load time. I'm waiting on getting POTC3 as it hasn't arrived in the mail yet but I do not think it is Disney or Fox I think it is the BD specs. Disney and Fox are told that these things will work on the players so they encode it to give viewers the best possible disc with the most features and interactivity. Sony/Samsung/Panasonic (or is it Phillips) designed their players with different specs and as a result need upgrades to play the discs using BD-J. My biggest problem with this is the argument that HDDVD shipped final whereas BD is still developing and as a result we are experiencing these headaches with BD movies. Its more or less just a pain than anything else but my biggest question/concern is that we on this forum are pretty knowledged that we need to upgrade our players and these fixes such as the PS3 fix for superbad but the average walmart/target customer looking to buy into a format because they just got a HDTV does not and I think this is where BD is hurt over HD.

You just saved my Sunday. Just one question: Does this mean that I won't be watching the movie in 1080p? :confused: I have always had my PS3 set to 1080p and this is the first time I turn this feature off.

It should be 1080p still but there are 1080p24 and 1080p60 so it probably defaults back to whichever one is the default (i think that all is confusing to me as well)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)