BuRay falls short with POC: at worlds end

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Blu-ray Review: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End | High-Def Digest

Unfortunately, I don't feel I can give 'At World's End' the same five-star video rating I gave 'Curse of the Black Pearl' and 'Dead Man's Chest,' because I found a few inconsistencies a bit too hard to ignore. Noise is the biggest problem -- I noticed it at times on fleshtones, as well as areas of static color. Even more troublesome, it can be glaringly obvious on areas of bright white, such as the entire surreal sequence with Depp playing multiple versions of Captain Jack Sparrow. Blacks also waver, with a few scenes looking quite flat and lacking in depth. Although these are not fatal problems considering the beauty of the rest of the presentation, 'At World's End' left me only very satisfied, and not blown away as I was with the first two 'Pirates' flicks on Blu-ray.

Ive not been too happy with their PQ reviews. I just watched premonition and the PQ was not very impressive, they however gave it a much better comment. Same with primevel. Maybe its just Im now spoiled and the really good looking movies (Apocalypto/Tranformers) blow many titles out of the water.

Blu-ray Review: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End | High-Def Digest

Unfortunately, I don't feel I can give 'At World's End' the same five-star video rating I gave 'Curse of the Black Pearl' and 'Dead Man's Chest,' because I found a few inconsistencies a bit too hard to ignore. Noise is the biggest problem -- I noticed it at times on fleshtones, as well as areas of static color. Even more troublesome, it can be glaringly obvious on areas of bright white, such as the entire surreal sequence with Depp playing multiple versions of Captain Jack Sparrow. Blacks also waver, with a few scenes looking quite flat and lacking in depth. Although these are not fatal problems considering the beauty of the rest of the presentation, 'At World's End' left me only very satisfied, and not blown away as I was with the first two 'Pirates' flicks on Blu-ray.

Just wondering if the version of COTBP he was so blown away with was the same one that had all of those horrible flaws you so graciously pointed out in the other thread... ;)

Just wondering if the version of COTBP he was so blown away with was the same one that had all of those horrible flaws you so graciously pointed out in the other thread... ;)
I think he just copied the one on the black pearl from somwhere. Many reviews on the various sites look like they border on plagarism to me. Its only when they point out specific flaws that you know they actually watched the movie closely themselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)