Disney Butchers POC : COTBP

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Disney BluRay Butchers POC : COTBP

POTC BD FRAMING ERROR and comparisons using DIGITAL caps*Denner's companion thread - AVS Forum

Wow look at the comparison in post #3, They hacked Orlando Bloom's head right off compared to the DVD. :haha

But do the idiots at Hidefdigest or other BD central fanboy sites catch it?????? In their "professional reviews"????

Blu-ray Review: Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl | High-Def Digest
The Video: Sizing Up the Picture

'Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl' is one of the most eagerly-awaited catalog releases to hit Blu-ray yet, and picture quality-wise is easily on par with such hotly-anticipated rivals as HD DVD's new 'Ultimate Matrix Collection.' The stakes were high for Disney, but to their credit, they've completely hit it out of the park. This is truly a stunning visual presentation, so if you're looking for fresh demo material, look no further.

The superlatives of this 2.40:1 widescreen 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 transfer are many. Disney has opted, of course, for a BD-50 dual-layer disc, so there are plenty of bits to go around. The result is an image of wonderful depth and realism. 'Curse of the Black Pearl' is almost equal parts bright daylight scenes and deep, dark interiors, and I was really amazed how adroitly both are rendered. The supple contrast and rich, inky blacks give the image fantastic pop. Shadow delineation matches any reference benchmark yet set, with even the darkest blacks still revealing small, subtle details and fine textures.

Colors are exemplary, as well. 'Curse of the Black Pearl' is often awash in wonderful orange hues and striking midnight blues, and the entire color palette is boldly rendered. Fleshtones are natural and accurate, and colors clean and free from any noise. The source is also in tip-top shape -- I was surprised to find that this transfer is not grainy, especially given all the nighttime sequences. There are also no worries with compression artifacts, even on solid, static patches of color -- the presentation is always as firm as an anchor. This is a five-star transfer, no contest.

Last edited:
They will so be starting a replacement plan for the disk, just like the Fifth Element. I still don't know how this got by QC.

Is this on an earlier version of the disc that isn't being sold anymore? I'll go back and look at mine but I don't remember any problems like this when I watched it.

Vurbano, this is really, really old news. WTF?

Oh, you're right - I missed the date of the post the first time. It is three months old... that's typical.

I'm really amazed you have the nerve to call anyone out for spreading FUD when you're posting things like this.

PSA: THIS IS NOT FOR PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN AT THE WORLDS END THAT COMES OUT ON 12/4

Considering the source he is timeing this old news ot confuse people and deter people from buying Pirates at the Worlds End when it comes out on Tuesday.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's new news because Disney has recently fixed the problem.

Right, because that's clearly the point Vurbano was trying to get across, since he never mentioned it in his post, and you have to sift through 4 or 5 pages of posts in that thread to get to it.

Nice try.

From thedigitalbits

" Also today, we have a follow-up for you on one other Blu-ray issue. Some of you may recall that a few months ago, viewers reported a framing problem with a few scenes in Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl Blu-ray Disc. Disney has apparently corrected the problem in production, so future copies going into stores will feature the correct framing (we'll try to find out if there's a way to identify corrected copies by the packaging - UPC number variation or something). In the meantime, if you have a copy with the mis-framed footage, you will SOON be able to call the studio's Blu-ray customer service hotline at 1-800-723-4763 (U.S.) or 1-800-877-2843 (Canada) to arrange an exchange. Don't call quite yet - we'll let you know when the fixed discs are ready. Just know that Disney has been working on the problem, and a solution will be available to you all shortly."

PSA: THIS IS NOT FOR PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN AT THE WORLDS END THAT COMES OUT ON 12/4

Considering the source he is timeing this old news ot confuse people and deter people from buying Pirates at the Worlds End when it comes out on Tuesday.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
COTBP Curse of the black pearl.

Oh, you're right - I missed the date of the post the first time. It is three months old... that's typical.

I'm really amazed you have the nerve to call anyone out for spreading FUD when you're posting things like this.
No FUD here sorry.

They will so be starting a replacement plan for the disk, just like the Fifth Element. I still don't know how this got by QC.

Well, at least the QC guys at Fox are on top of things. :rolleyes:

On HighDefDigest -

We received the following statement from Steve Feldstein, Fox SVP of Corporate and Marketing Communications, with the exact reasoning behind the postponement:

"While putting Independence Day through our regular and rigorous QC process we detected a minor glitch. Even though 95 percent of users would likely not know or encounter it, we chose to do the right thing and remaster which necessitates moving the release date."

Though Fox has not yet announced a new street date for 'Independence Day,' the studio told us that it expects to reschedule the title for sometime in March 2008.

Call me a pessimist, but 4 days before release date Fox suddenly discovers a minor glitch that "95% of users would likely not know", so they decide to push the release back 4 months?

%$#! it, Fox! :mad: Fox is one of the main reasons I got back into also having a BD player; for my tastes in movies, Fox's titles far out number anything I want from Disney or Sony. I'll pass on 2+ hours of Tom Hanks on a desert island, but if they don't come through with Mr. & Mrs. Smith . . . . . .

Nope. Just deliberate trolling.
No trolling either. Just the facts. Do you know if the exchange program has begun for COTBP?? Or are you here just to annoy?:rolleyes:
Seems BD is compiling quite the list of F'd up releases..... Independence day (thank goodness they caught that one), Curse of the black pearl, Robocrap, 5th element, house of flying artifacts..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts