Podcast App

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

king3pj

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
Is anyone else having problems with the Podcast App since upgrading to iOS 9? I am using an iPhone 6 if that matters. Here are the problems I am seeing.

First, if I resume a podcast I started listening to earlier the volume is only about half as loud as the scroll bar says it should be. It plays low volume like it does when you have a notification come in while you are listening to something. The problem is that this is happening when there is no notification coming through and it doesn't go back to normal.

Turning the volume up or down does nothing to fix the problem. If I hit the button that makes it skip back 15 seconds the volume goes back to normal. It's just annoying having to do this every time I listen to a podcast especially because the phone is often in my pocket. Before I would just hit the resume button on my Apple ear buds to resume when I'm at the gym or hit the bluetooth button on my car to resume while I'm driving. Now I have to pull my phone out to fix this volume bug.

The second problem is that my phone no longer starts playing my podcasts when I switch to bluetooth audio on my car. The name of the episode pops up on the touch screen and it shows how much of the episode I have listened to and how much is left but it won't start playing. The play/pause button on my car does nothing.

Again, I have to pull my phone out of my pocket now and push play in the podcast app before it will resume. Once I've gotten it to start playing my car's play/pause button works fine. I never had a problem getting my podcasts to play in my car without taking my phone out of my pocket before upgrading to iOS 9. The play/pause button always worked without me having to push play on my phone from the podcast app first.

Am I the only one having these issues? I'm starting to think about buying one of the paid podcast apps instead of using Apple's. It's a bummer because I never had too much issue with their app before.

Ford recommends un-pairing and re-pairing your smartphone whenever you upgrade either the OS on the phone or the SYNC version in the car. Not knowing the vehicle you have you could try that.

That won't fix the volume issue with the Podcast App. Most Tech pundits recommend a 3rd-party Podcast App instead of Apple's. I normally watch video Podcasts on my Apple TV, so using the Podcast App on the iPhone wasn't an issue. Recently I listened to a podcast on the History of Electronic Music and decided to use the built-in App in the car so I won't subject my family to whoeps, bleops, and other weird noises known as Electronica. But I finished up with the podcast before I upgraded, so I'm afraid I can't be of assistance regarding the Volume level.

I assume you've been through the Settings to check to see if the Podcast App "defaults to a given volume level" whenever you start playing.

Ford recommends un-pairing and re-pairing your smartphone whenever you upgrade either the OS on the phone or the SYNC version in the car. Not knowing the vehicle you have you could try that.

That won't fix the volume issue with the Podcast App. Most Tech pundits recommend a 3rd-party Podcast App instead of Apple's. I normally watch video Podcasts on my Apple TV, so using the Podcast App on the iPhone wasn't an issue. Recently I listened to a podcast on the History of Electronic Music and decided to use the built-in App in the car so I won't subject my family to whoeps, bleops, and other weird noises known as Electronica. But I finished up with the podcast before I upgraded, so I'm afraid I can't be of assistance regarding the Volume level.

I assume you've been through the Settings to check to see if the Podcast App "defaults to a given volume level" whenever you start playing.

I drive a Chevy with the MyLink touch screen system. I'll try unpairing and repairing my phone when I get in the car tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.

As for the volume limit settings, the only one I can find is for the music app and my volume limit setting is turned off. I don't think that's the problem anyways since trying to turn up the volume does nothing and the volume bar shows that it's turned all the way up when it's having this problem.

Like I said, the only way I can fix it is by hitting the button that skips back 15 seconds. It's like it thinks it has a notification sound to make even when there is no notification and it just gets stuck in the lower volume. This problem happens whether I'm listening over Bluetooth in my car, through headphones, or on the phone's built in speakers. It doesn't happen every single time but it's been very frequent since upgrading to iOS 9.

Edit: I just did a Google search and it seems like other people are having the same problem as me and it's been going on before iOS 9. For me it's a new experience.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6554068?start=15&tstart=0

After reading different threads like the one I posted earlier I found out that facebook is the culprit. Apparently the way facebook auto plays videos in your newsfeed with no sound confuses the iPhone. It turns the volume of podcasts down because it thinks you are playing audio and a video at the same time.

I want to point out that I'm not using facebook while I drive. The app is running in the background from whenever I last used it. I read on the internet that if I manually force facebook closed I won't have this problem anymore. I tested it in two different drives this morning and it fixed the volume problem. It also fixed the problem I was having with my audio not resuming with the car buttons the first time I tried it on any given drive.

It's time to think about just deleting facebook from my phone again.

It's time to think about just deleting facebook from my phone again.
I was going to suggest the same thing, but not for the reasons you posted. SatelliteGuys should be the only Social Media you need! :)

Along similar lines, iOS 8 introduced weirdness with the Music App and music playback in my SYNC setup. As long as I make sure I haven't played any videos between drives, it behaves as it should. But go online and click through some posts with YouTube or other videos and I get "Unknown" title by "Unknown" artist from the Album "Unknown". And no audio (must be at a frequency Unknown to me). I have to go into the Music App to start the music playing again.

If I have cellular coverage I can tell Siri to "play my music" but I don't have the Siri button on my system so I'm still fiddling around with my iPhone in my pocket to hit the Home Button.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)