Pointing motorizes system

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I finnaly got the time to get back to fine tunning this system ( same as above ), after dialing my true south and i do believe i have it nailed down ,i'm able to get a strong signal from 72 AMC6 threw 101 AMC4 but any sats above 101 i am unable to get any signal . I am using USUALS for the motor and i tried to fine tune useing Diseqc 1.2 tweaking a little west and east with no luck . Could it be i need to adjust the declination angle on the dish ? Bottom line the firthur west i go the less the signal . ;} just a note i'm scanning these birds only on the L side of the lnb set to 10750

EDIT: Panhandler, I see you posted before I finished my post below. Even though you appear to have resolved your alignment issue, please read what I mention as I do believe it will help you avoid some issues.

Panhandler,

Since 79W is the truest south satellite for your longitude position, you would peak the signal on that satellite by adjusting the dish elevation and the motor azimuth (don't move the motor latitude, that should remain fixed).

Then motor over to some sat either west or east of 79W and adjust the motor azimuth to peak the signal. Preferrably a sat that is as far away from 79 as you can go while still maintaining a signal.

Then motor back to 79W and fine adjust the dish elevation.

If you have done this and you are not following the entire arc, then I propose that your mast is not perfectly plumb or your dish is not centered on the motor tube precisely along the motor tube axis.

When you check the plumb of the mast, make sure you check it east to west as well as north to south.

For the attachment of the dish to the motor tube, the vertical axis of the dish must be in line with the vertical axis of the motor tube. There is usually some slop here and you want to ensure that you center this as best that you are able.

Some dish assemblies have a clamping mechanism to attach it to the motor tube in the same manner as the motor is attached to the mast. With this style of dish, you can position the dish on the motor tube anywhere so you you have to be very careful here.

With a dish like mine, a Winegard DS-2076, there is a bolt that goes through the motor tube to help align it. However, there is some slop here and that slop will create some errors in both the elevation and azimuth.

Also, make sure that the assembly bracket where you make your dish elevation adjustments remains square. When you loosen the hardware to make an elevation adjustment, the weight of the dish can "twist" or pull the bracket off to one side and induce both an elevation and an azimuth error as well.

These three items that I mention should be scrutinized during the entire alignment process and maintained for their accuracy of plumb and square.

Your results suggest that one or more of these items may be inducing errors for you.

Radar

That is great info Radr , i am getting signal on all sats but i think i can get much better , with your advice i'm sure i can , GREAT info ;}

Panhandler,

You are welcome for the tips. These are just a few things that you find along the way that not many people address often.

Everyone pretty much understands that you have to make sure the dish elevation and the motor azimuth are correct.

The plumb of the mast or pole is HIGHLY stressed, but I don't think many people realize how enormously important this point is. That is the basic foundation.

The other two items that I mentioned are rarely discussed in general alignment conversations. They are often assumed and if you are new to the field, you may not suspect them to be a part of your problem or even be aware that they exist.

Radar

I wanted to report back to all that helped me out with this setup and i'm glad to say all is working great now .I would like to put some input on some of the finer things i did with all the great advise i got . First prob i had was finding my true south .I used the method of useing the sun at it's highest point of the day but sense i'm an engineer of a machine shop i wanted to find a little more accurate way of casting a shadow on my dish ( after drawing a line on centerline of the four bolts) what i used was a carpenters level , stood it on end stright up , centering it on the lnb arm up as close as i could to the lnb. and when the sun was at it's highest point i set the level to perfect plum and hit the line right on the mark , the other thing i did is set my motor latitude to 43 degr. instead of 42.4 , this made all the differance . I hope my experiance helps others out .I am now able to hit the entire belt in my area . This is truly a great site and i couldn't have done it with out you .

Last edited:
I wanted to report back to all that helped me out with this setup and i'm glad to say all is working great now .I would like to put some input on some of the finer things i did with all the great advise i got . First prob i had was finding my true south .I used the method of useing the sun at it's highest point of the day but sense i'm an engineer of a machine shop i wanted to find a little more accurate way of casting a shadow on my dish ( after drawing a line on centerline of the four bolts) what i used was a carpenters level , stood it on end stright up , centering it on the lnb arm up as close as i could to the lnb. and when the sun was at it's highest point i set the level to perfect plum and hit the line right on the mark , the other thing i did is set my motor latitude to 43 degr. instead of 42.4 , this made all the differance . I hope my experiance helps others out .I am now able to hit the entire belt in my area . This is truly a great site and i couldn't have done it with out you .

Panhandler,

Excellent work! Thanks for replying after the fact and taking the time to explain your fix! Many people don't do this and I stongly urge and hope that they do. If they get their system up and running, the often just escape into some oblivion or black hole and no one hears from them again.

You performed the whole affair with style and povided a great deal of helpful information to your co-members here. You are a great assett to the other members of this forum.

Your feedback ia very much appreciated!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)