Pointing Shaw Dish in Seattle

eflasko

Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Seattle
We're running into some problems pointing our new Shaw dish just outside of seattle... Does anyone know of an installer in the area who would be able to get it setup for us? will any installer do it? what's the best way to find an installer?

Thank you!

I'm not from your area, so I can't help you with a local installer.

Unless someone from your area responds, simply take a stab in the dark with a local satellite dealer in your area. Ask them if they have prior experience with Shaw (fka Star Choice). If they say "no" then move on to the next name in the Yellow Pages. You want to avoid paying for someone's time while they learn how. Of course, if they say "yes" when they really mean "no", then you find out the hard way. If they're persistent, they may keep at it till they reach sucess; if they're not, then.......it's one of the risks you have to take when you install a Canadian system in the US.

I have read of some installers who specialize in installations of the American Sat Providers having difficulty with Shaw because Shaw is ku-band, upon which they have not been trained. I have also read of isolated instances where such installers have a mental problem installing a Canadian system because they prefer you would "go American" :eek:. Therefore an installer who has a broader experience with general satellite dish (FTA) installations might be a better gamble.

If you find one you're comfortable with, be sure you have your information ready for them when they arrive: the azimuth, the elevation, and the skew data. They will likely NOT come armed with this information. If you need help getting this information, you can use "dishpointer" (see tab at top of this page). You are pointing your dish at Anik F2 if you have the standard Shaw elliptical dish, so that's the satellite you should select from the dropdown box.

Optionally, there are many posters here who are ready to help you with advice. How far have you gotten with doing it yourself? Where exactly are you having problems? Maybe we can talk through it......but we need to know specifically where you're at in the process......

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.

We got the dish up, and i think pointed in the general right direction (although we were pointing at Anik F1 - but looking at the coordinates for F2 we moved it enough that we should have picked up that one too i think), but we can't seem to get more than a 19 signal strength, and don't ever see the dish light on the front of the receiver turn green.\

but we can't seem to get more than a 19 signal strength

A strength in this range is likely coming from naturally-occuring background noise. It does indicate, however, that your dish and receiver are communicating. That's good news.

and don't ever see the dish light on the front of the receiver turn green

This further substantiates that you have not yet found the satellite.

Here's some questions:

Are you reasonably confident you have an obstructed line of sight to the satellite?

Are you sure the mast of the antenna is plumb? If it isn't, don't go any further before getting it plumb.

and i think pointed in the general right direction
If you're using a compass to do your rough-pointing, have you taken into account between magnetic azimuth & true azimuth? The difference is quite substantial in the northwest US.

Are you sure you have set the elevation correctly? The marker is the little white line, NOT the bolt that clamps the elevation adjustment.

Do you have the skew set at 90? (You will change it later once you get locked on)

Do you have your receiver set to channel 299 as you attempt to find the satellite?

Let's stop there for now...

All the really smart guys on this Forum are probably asleep.....I think I'll sign off, too. Will check back in AM

Last edited:
looking for Shaw satellite dish installer in Seattle area

"We're running into some problems pointing our new Shaw dish just outside of seattle... Does anyone know of an installer in the area who would be able to get it setup for us? will any installer do it? what's the best way to find an installer?"
The above message was sent 3 years ago. Does anyone have an answer for me or gan give me the name and phone number of someone experienced at installing Shaw satellite in the Seattle, WA area?

Thanks

Traveler probably the answer would still be the same as 3 yrs. ago i.e. to find someone who knows how to install FTA or maybe even ask if they know how to install Shaw.

Or you could try it yourself first!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)