Poison Pill to MY VIP510 ???

zzim

Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Eastern PA
Is Dish sending a poison pill to the old VIP510s?

Background:

Dish called and scheduled an installer to come and "fix" my system. Installer arrived and indicated that I "must" change my 510 to a "modern HD receiver" before he would change my antenna setup to a 1000.4 EA. Currently I have a 110/119 dish and wing dish to 61.5 feeding a DPP44 feeding all HD receivers and the 510.

I love my old 510 in the Ham Shack. It works when all the other receivers rain fade. It has worked flawlessly for years. After the aforementioned visit, (and me declining to part with the 510) the old 510 suddenly is starting to have random problems.

We have a 622 in the family room, a 622 feeding the boys' rooms and a 222k in the living room. The other bedrooms suffer with the 222k SD feed. These receivers are now missing more and more HD channels because of the split EA/WA antenna setup.

Question for the GURUs: If I install a 1000.4 EA feeding the DPP44, will my 510 still work? OR should I buy a 211K replacement for the 510 and get DN to install the antenna?

regards, zim

Question for the GURUs: If I install a 1000.4 EA feeding the DPP44, will my 510 still work? OR should I buy a 211K replacement for the 510 and get DN to install the antenna?

regards, zim

If you install a 1000.4 EA the 510 will stop working. Namely, the signals coming off the Eastern Arc are all mpeg-4 encoded, which the 510 can't process.

What you could do, is do the 1000.4 EA, and pick up an old Dish, point it at 110/119 (maybe 129 if you need it) just for the 510. Bit more work, but would solve your issues.

Is Dish sending a poison pill to the old VIP510s?

Very doubtful. You are aware of the fact that the 510 is being replaced with 512 on Western Arc? This is to allow WA to go to 8PSK modulation.

If I install a 1000.4 EA feeding the DPP44, will my 510 still work?
No, it will not work, unless you retain your old D500 on 110/119. The 510 is an mpeg-2 receiver and EA is exclusively mpeg-4, even on SD channels. My advice since you are mixed-arc and Dish wants you to go EA, do the WHUP. ;)

You need a ViP series receiver to get the MPEG-4 signals from EA. The 510 will only work with the older MPEG-2 signals.

You will not get all the HD you are paying for until you get a 1000.4 antenna.

Your 510 will NOT work for most of the EA signals. There are, I believe, a few channels there still on MPEG-2 (family pack?). And- yes, that is an option.

Very doubtful. You are aware of the fact that the 510 is being replaced with 512 on Western Arc? This is to allow WA to go to 8PSK modulation.

No, it will not work, unless you retain your old D500 on 110/119. The 510 is an mpeg-2 receiver and EA is exclusively mpeg-4, even on SD channels. My advice since you are mixed-arc and Dish wants you to go EA, do the WHUP. ;)

I agree with everything above. We're not poisoning the 510, but the best setup for the OP would be to have the 510 replaced with an MPEG-4 receiver (since EA is MPEG-4 only).

To zzim: If you PM ZachS@DISH Network, or myself, we can get you the details on getting the proper receiver installed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts