Polar axis question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
Why is it the polar axis is not set to your latitude? On the charts I've seen it seems to be a smidge more. It would seem that to be a polar axis it would want to be aligned to the pole. At my latitude it's suggested that the polar axis be .65° more than the latitude. Then you add the declination.
What's up with that?

Am I confused again?

Never noticed anything like that. I have always set up both telescopes and dishes using polaris and making a slight adjustment for date and time (polaris is about .8 degree off the celestial pole). Is there a chance that there is some confusion with the elevation offset of the dish in order to track the clarke belt which would be about 6.5 degrees based on your location.

What the consumer satellite industry uses to track satellites in the geosynchronous, Clarke Belt is called a modified polar mount. If you mount a dish on a polar mount set to exactly the latitude but with no declination angle, it will sweep out a plane parallel with the equatorial plane but not intersecting it. If you tilt the mast forward, it will intersect the equatorial plane in a straight line.

If you set a polar mount axis to exactly the elevation angle and introduce a declination angle equal to the declination angle of the southernmost satellite, the dish will sweep a cone that intersects the equatorial plane in a perfect circle that intercepts the Clarke Belt just to the due south, but it tracks "inside" of that belt, which is also a circle, over the rest of its travel.

If you set a polar mount axis to exactly the elevation angle, but then set the declination angle equal to the declination angle of the satellite lowest on the horizon, it will sweep a cone that intersects the equatorial plane in a perfect circle that intersects the Clark Belt at the lower ends of the arc only, but tracks slightly above the Clarke Belt between those horizons.

And finally if you then tilt the mast forward by a fraction of a degree, it will track an ellipse that intersects with the Clarke Belt arc at both the southern and horizon azimuths and misses the arc by less than one tenth of a degree elsewhere. That is the track of the so-called modified polar mount. Got it?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)