Pole Mount Slimline 3 lnb - pole size question?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I will have to poke around next week at the new house to look things over again. I did not think fonding a pole would be hard :) Thanks for the ideas! I now have a few options :)

Jimbo said:
Your not peaked very well then ....

I can go out and shake the pole and get the dish wablling and not lose signal.

I can wobble some and be fine too but we all know a make shift mount in time loses it strength and ends up being more of a headache because the elements have taking its toll on it and makes it like a leaf in the wind

It would be much better if you can to mount on the side of the house. A slimline dish on a 5 foot pole will move a bit in sharp wind. During times of high wind days, I would often loose signal.

Mine is on an 8.5 ft pole and has never lost signal due to the wind. I did take it down during Hurricane Irene.

I'm looking to mount a new SL Dish with the SWM SL-3 LNB in my backyard on a pole. My current SWM SL-3 dish sits way atop my roof, something like 50+ feet into the air and this old timer does have a fear of falling off which means I cannot adjust it, clean off the snow (when we have it), and it's damn ugly up there as well. I just had the LNB replaced and the dish adjusted, getting 95+ on all signals I should be getting. No complaints right now but as soon as a gust of wind hits, the dish needs an alignment. I'd set some screws into it but like I said, no way I'm getting up there.

So when I install this dish (should be fairly easy as I understand the alignment procedure) I'm curious if a 2" galvanized underground conduit pipe would be okay? I found them not really too expensive in the local Home Depot. The pipe is thick walled and there is no way it will bend. The only problem I noticed was it's not a perfectly straight pipe. I can deal with that since the end the dish mounts to needs to be plumb.

When mounting the pipe in the ground, the freeze line is 12" so I plan to dig a hole 3 feet deep (maybe deeper depending on my energy) by 10 - 12" wide and place concrete in the bottom 2.5 feet. I desire to leave the concrete well below grade so I could in the future, if need be, cut the pipe off well below grade and call it a day. I will not be filling the pipe with cement at all except for what gets buried in the concrete of course. I do plan to drill a few holes through the pipe and insert a threaded rod to keep the post from rotating once the concrete sets.

If I have the dish standing ~4 feet above the ground, how much pipe should be in the ground? I was thinking 5 feet into the ground would be fine.

Thanks,
Joe

Like pipe, conduit comes in pipe sizes so there is no 2" OD steel conduit.

The 2" OD galvanized fence post remains the best answer.

Like pipe, conduit comes in pipe sizes so there is no 2" OD steel conduit.

The 2" OD galvanized fence post remains the best answer.

You know, I didn't have a tape measure but it did appear to be wider than 2". I'll have to measure it before I buy it. I could look at fence posting as well but I did like how thick the conduit pipe walls were. Thanks for your answer.

You can use fence post like Harsh says, but you will have to use some flashing to be able to tighten the base properly since fence post is just under 2". Another option is 2" exhaust pipe, which is actually 2" od.

They are plenty strong. If the pole isn't too tall, you can fill it with concrete. It will be very strong then!

raoul5788 said:
They are plenty strong. If the pole isn't too tall, you can fill it with concrete. It will be very strong then!

That's how mine is. I filled it to the top with Crete and the pole is almost 4 ft deep

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)