Pole mount

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tylerbonezjonez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
How good are the pole mounts? Dish tech said he’s not a big fan of them because they are usually back out in 6 months fixing them? He put 2 bags of this pre-mix foam around the pole and the dirt. Went around 3 ft in the ground. Seemed like a solid install. I think he was just trying to detour me from doing a pole mount as those take more time, but I didn’t want holes in my roof or eves.

How good are the pole mounts? Dish tech said he’s not a big fan of them because they are usually back out in 6 months fixing them? He put 2 bags of this pre-mix foam around the pole and the dirt. Went around 3 ft in the ground. Seemed like a solid install. I think he was just trying to detour me from doing a pole mount as those take more time, but I didn’t want holes in my roof or eves.
The problems with pole mounts are that 1, people bump into them. With rider mowers or just in general, damaging them. 2nd, water fills the pole from the top when it rains and sits in the pole, which will rust it from the inside out. Third, poles have to be set for after the initial visit, which means a 2nd truck roll for minimal units per job instead of what could be a higher paying job and finally, cable trenching just sucks-ass!

See this post. Nobody is going to "run into" a gable or eve mount pole. Getting a new roof, what do I need to know?

Everybody is different but I prefer a pole mounted dish. Done right they are as good as a mast mount.
I have done my own installs on my two poles for the different sat dishes twice now in 25 years of having satellite. After 10 years they do seem to rust out and the pole will snap off after a particular storm or a jostling by something else. The first time my pole was damaged due to Hurricane Rita 05 and the last time it was changed out was in 2015 when the pole snapped off after 10 years in the ground. We started with a big thick pole for the Primestar Satellite dish in 95 and it rusted out in 2006 and snapped off when I was trying to remove the old sat dish off the pole.

I've had a pole mount for the house since 2005 and one for my garage since 2007. They are both going strong. Maybe some poles are better than others...?

Maybe some ground is drier than others. Where I live, if you dig a 2' deep hole and come back a few hours later, it'll have 18" of water in it.

My neighbor at the RV Park had a pole mount installed. Two years later, a strong wind broke it off at ground level. It was rusted through.

A: Use pipe, not thin "pole" material
B: Dig the hole deep and wide enough to handle the wind
C: Fill the pipe with concrete (tamp it down with a stick) and it'll never rust out

My C-band has been up at this location for 18 years without any issue. If it can last for a 7.5' dish it'll do for a pizza pan.

By the way, my Dish dish has been mounted on my corner fence post (PT 4x4) for 16 years with no issue, not even a realignment.

A: Use pipe, not thin "pole" material
B: Dig the hole deep and wide enough to handle the wind
C: Fill the pipe with concrete (tamp it down with a stick) and it'll never rust out

My C-band has been up at this location for 18 years without any issue. If it can last for a 7.5' dish it'll do for a pizza pan.

By the way, my Dish dish has been mounted on my corner fence post (PT 4x4) for 16 years with no issue, not even a realignment.

The only thing that concerns me is the the foam stuff they used as opposed to concrete.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The foam is something fairly new, never had any personal experience with it. Apparently from what I've been told it's little more expensive than concrete but easier to deal with and handle for install techs. I know a few guys in my neck of the woods in the business and for them it's an approved method for a pole mount. Time will tell how long it actually maintains its strength and lasts.

The foam is something fairly new, never had any personal experience with it. Apparently from what I've been told it's little more expensive than concrete but easier to deal with and handle for install techs. I know a few guys in my neck of the woods in the business and for them it's an approved method for a pole mount. Time will tell how long it actually maintains its strength and lasts.

I think they are only required to use one bag, but he didn’t like the coverage from 1 bag, so he used 2. Looked like the foam in a can “great stuff” or whatever. We will see how long it last, as it tends to get a little windy where I’m at. Had him install the dish fairly close to the house.

The only thing that concerns me is the the foam stuff they used as opposed to concrete.
I was concerned about that, too, at first but I'm a believer now. For one, there is no half-bagging the foam like a lot of techs did with concrete so the correct amount is used on every pole (hopefully). The stuff is strong and it grips the hole, if that makes sense, really well.

A post mount requires a trench and PVC pipe to protect the coax from weed-eaters, lawn mowers and some cases a dog. Also a good anti-spin pipe in cement. Another thing is the dish subject to damage from a grass bagger on a riding mower. Also, if dish is damaged or wire broken, it is not covered by Dish Protection Plan.

A post mount requires a trench and PVC pipe to protect the coax from weed-eaters, lawn mowers and some cases a dog. Also a good anti-spin pipe in cement. Another thing is the dish subject to damage from a grass bagger on a riding mower. Also, if dish is damaged or wire broken, it is not covered by Dish Protection Plan.
What is anti-spin pipe?

What is anti-spin pipe?
See how one end is flattened?

35-GP16290-6PC.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts